Mike Clevinger traded to San Diego

bigbadbuff

8 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

That's a really good deal for the Pads, IMO.  Don't love the quantity over quality approach by the Indians here.

The Indians are cheap. They found a way to potentially fill 7 spots for 2. I get why they did it and I think it's a solid return but I always like depth deals unless there's a sure fire stuff coming back and they weren't getting Gore ha. 

Edit - 6 spots but you get the point. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

That's a really good deal for the Pads, IMO.  Don't love the quantity over quality approach by the Indians here.

Admittedly, if I was San Diego I'd be uneasy because you're letting a good scouting team basically pick the 6 guys in your system they like. But this year, with limited in person looks? And most of the guys coming back are pretty advanced, well known names. Not a good combo IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Admittedly, if I was San Diego I'd be uneasy because you're letting a good scouting team basically pick the 6 guys in your system they like. But this year, with limited in person looks? And most of the guys coming back are pretty advanced, well known names. Not a good combo IMO.

Padres have a good scouting team too, and you gotta pay to get aces like Clev. Not every team can be Ninja Cash’d.

2 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Padres have a good scouting team too, and you gotta pay to get aces like Clev. Not every team can be Ninja Cash’d.

Yeah I mean they pulled this exact move on the White Sox with Tatis Jr. in the James Shields trade. I get that. But if I was a GM would I rather give a guy 4 prospects knowing that 2 of them were top 100 guys who I expected to have to trade, or let a rival GM fish for the 6-8 names he wants to get on sale? With the Padres farm system the way it is, those 6-8 names could end up haunting me.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah I mean they pulled this exact move on the White Sox with Tatis Jr. in the James Shields trade. I get that. But if I was a GM would I rather give a guy 4 prospects knowing that 2 of them were top 100 guys who I expected to have to trade, or let a rival GM fish for the 6-8 names he wants to get on sale? With the Padres farm system the way it is, those 6-8 names could end up haunting me.

Ultimately you’re hoping for like 3 of those 6-8 guys to become top 100 guys, right? I don’t know the answer.

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

The Indians are cheap. They found a way to potentially fill 7 spots for 2. I get why they did it and I think it's a solid return but I always like depth deals unless there's a sure fire stuff coming back and they weren't getting Gore ha. 

Edit - 6 spots but you get the point. 

Quantity from a top 3 farm system like the Padres is certainly more valuable than if it was from a different org, and there is certainly still some upside there for Cleveland, but they didn't even get a top 10 org guy for multiple years of a #2 starter.  Post-hype Quantrill and Naylor are solid, but they just don't make up the difference for me.

1 minute ago, hrubes20 said:

Quantity from a top 3 farm system like the Padres is certainly more valuable than if it was from a different org, and there is certainly still some upside there for Cleveland, but they didn't even get a top 10 org guy for multiple years of a #2 starter.  Post-hype Quantrill and Naylor are solid, but they just don't make up the difference for me.

I mean, Clevinger is soon to be 30 and has gone past 126 innings once. I think they did well but that's baseball. He's damn good but the Indians did well. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Ultimately you’re hoping for like 3 of those 6-8 guys to become top 100 guys, right? I don’t know the answer.

it's a really situational thing. That's how the Astros and Padres ran circles around win now teams 5 years ago but volunteering to dumpster dive instead of getting full value, but they'd pillage rookie ball and late blooming J2 signings. 

This group of players (for prospects) looks older, more polished, and doesn't have that upside. So I like it for the Pads.

• Like 1