Week 1: Packers (0-0) at VIKINGS (0-0)

swede700

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

I have full faith that they will get back to being a top-5 to 10 defense in short order.  Zim won't accept any less.

I have little faith in the defense this year. It’s really the first year under Zimmer that he won’t have a veteran bunch of CBs to lean on. There isn’t any one with experience and the most experienced, Holton Hill, looked out of place far too often. With a porous interior DL, I could see a lot of clean pockets to step into and running lanes to take advantage. There is some talent on defense flying around for sure but if you’re CBs can’t cover and you can’t stop the run, that’s not a good recipe. 

Cousins is going to have to carry the team on his back this year.

8 hours ago, swede700 said:

I have full faith that they will get back to being a top-5 to 10 defense in short order.  Zim won't accept any less.

Legitimately asking, when does Zimmer's seat start getting hot?  He's been the HC for 6 full seasons, and he's been to the NFC Championship once.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Legitimately asking, when does Zimmer's seat start getting hot?  He's been the HC for 6 full seasons, and he's been to the NFC Championship once.

The GM just extended him before the season. I don't think he'll be feeling much heat this year unless the team completely falls apart.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Zimmer's seat begins to get hot when he's had some consistency on the offensive side of the ball and still doesn't make progress.  So, I'd say if the team hasn't shown significant progress by the end of next year, that's when his seat gets a little hotter.  This year is mostly a reset year as far as I'm concerned (although I still expect them to be competitive), so I'd expect them to be SB-caliber by the end of next year.     

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Packers are the only NFC team to be to the NFCCG more than once since 2014. 

From 2014-19, Zimmer‘s team was 6th in the league in points differential and 7th in winning percentage:

2-A83-FCCF-71-EF-4-FFD-8512-60-BB5-A5-F4

The Vikings had basically the same regular season record and points differential as the Saints, who’ve had a HOF starting QB that entire time. The only NFC team clearly better was Seattle, who came into 2014 as the defending Super Bowl champs, with another HOF QB at the helm. The Packers had more postseason success, but less consistent success otherwise, again with an elite QB. The AFC teams at or above Zimmer’s level feature 2 more HOF QBs and 2 recent league MVPs.

None of the coaches with better points differentials (Belichick, Reid, Harbaugh, Carroll, Tomlin, Peyton) have been fired, even though only the first two on that list have been to more than one conference championship since 2014, and 2 of them (Harbaugh and Tomlin) have been to zero during that span. The only team with a better W-L record to change coaches was GB, and that was late in a disastrous season, with the QB wanting the coach gone.

Zimmer took over a Vikings team with Ponder and Cassel at QB, coming off a 5-10-1 season in 2013. For his team to have been in the mix with the Saints and Packers as one of the consistently best in the conference for the last 6 years, despite working with a mish-mash of only-OK QBs, is a legitimate accomplishment, not a failure.

The team is trying to retool on the fly without tearing down completely. I don’t think there’s any guarantee that the new era Zimmer Vikings will be much good, but unless the rest of this season is a complete disaster,  he’ll get at least until 2021 to see if he can get develop them back into a contender.

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

Zimmer took over a Vikings team with Ponder and Cassel at QB, coming off a 5-10-1 season in 2013. For his team to have been in the mix with the Saints and Packers as one of the consistently best in the conference for the last 6 years, despite working with a mish-mash of only-OK QBs, is a legitimate accomplishment, not a failure.

Went back and found some 2014 preseason power rankings. Vikings were ranked:

• 26th, last in the NFC (PFT)
  • 26th, last in the NFC (ESPN)
  • 29th, 2nd last in the NFC (NFL.com)

No one would have predicted the Vikings would roughly keep pace with the Saints and Packers (both ranked around 5th in the league) for the next 6 years or come anywhere close to the Seahawks (consensus 1st), especially if it was known that Zimmer would only get one healthy season from Adrian Peterson and two from Teddy Bridgewater, while the HOF QBs of those other teams continued to play at an elite level in 2019 and beyond.

• Like 2

@Krauser put in actual evidence the essence of what I've been saying for several years now.  With as such turmoil as has existed on the offensive side of the ball (some of it self-inflicted, but mostly not), Zimmer has done an above-average job of head coaching.  There certainly was a lot of stability on the defensive side of the ball (until this year), but the offensive side of the ball was inconsistent.  This year and going into next will likely be the most stability we've seen on the offensive side of the ball.  So, if he doesn't have the team in contention by the end of next year, that's when the seat begins to get hot.

• Like 1