Week 1: Chicago at Detroit

Superduperman

I don't know how to attach tweets, but my new favorite reporter (politely) asked Patricia why they suck in the fourth quarter and he responded by claiming ownership of the Butler INT 5 years ago in the Superbowl.

Funny that a guy who made "dagger time" the camp mantra in 2020 is now saying there's no 4th quarter issue and claiming ownership of something other people did 5 years ago for an organization he's not part of anymore. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Yes, I've been thinking about that the whole day. That play call helped turn the tide of the game.  Absolutely stupid imo.  Of course I'm an arm chair coach, but I did once sleep in a holdiay inn express.

I was like.. ughh... what are they doing? I know Vilma had commented on Stafford being able to run but he is not a designed run guy. 

8 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I don't know how to attach tweets, but my new favorite reporter (politely) asked Patricia why they suck in the fourth quarter and he responded by claiming ownership of the Butler INT 5 years ago in the Superbowl.

Funny that a guy who made "dagger time" the camp mantra in 2020 is now saying there's no 4th quarter issue and claiming ownership of something other people did 5 years ago for an organization he's not part of anymore. 

Not gonna lie... when I heard that I was like... uhhh... that doesn't address the question that was asked and not the right response to that question. It certainly did not reinforce my support for him in the past. 

If we're sitting here at 0-4 going into the bye, I do think that ownership should consider trading Stafford and looking to move on from Patricia/Quinn. I believe that this would be easier to do with Stafford's restructuring of his contract. It's not that I don't think that he's a good QB it's that I think he's a great QB that belongs to be on a team that competes and will make the playoffs. I would love to see it here with us but he shouldn't be on this roster if we go the rebuild route again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I absolutely loathed him saying that.

I hate to say it, but that sounds like a man who's defeated and grasping at straws.

I had hoped he self evaluated this OS but that doesnt seem to be the case.

12 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Not gonna lie... when I heard that I was like... uhhh... that doesn't address the question that was asked and not the right response to that question. It certainly did not reinforce my support for him in the past. 

If we're sitting here at 0-4 going into the bye, I do think that ownership should consider trading Stafford and looking to move on from Patricia/Quinn. I believe that this would be easier to do with Stafford's restructuring of his contract. It's not that I don't think that he's a good QB it's that I think he's a great QB that belongs to be on a team that competes and will make the playoffs. I would love to see it here with us but he shouldn't be on this roster if we go the rebuild route again. 

I am very curious what ownership would do.  Normally, a GM gets 2 hires for his coach before GM is fired. Since BQ has only had one true hire, I wonder if they would fire MP and retain Quinn? I know that wouldn't be popular, but I do believe this roster is built in such a way the next FO and coach are destined to fail. Especially if they get rid of Stafford.

Edited by LionArkie

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

I am very curious what ownership would do.  Normally, a GM gets 2 hires for his coach before GM is fired. Since BQ has only had one true hire, I wonder if they would fire MP and retain Quinn? I know that wouldn't be popular, but I do believe this roster is built in such a way the next FO and coach are destined to fail. Especially if they get rid of Stafford.

Technically BQ has had Caldwell and Patricia. Caldwell did have success and then Quinn decided to move on from him and move more towards the Patriots style. Ownership could decide that the New England way isn't the problem but Patricia is and bring in another NE prodigy. The core problem on the team is our defense so I don't know what would be fixed there if you brought someone like Josh McDaniel's in. 

To me, it feels like either BQ/MP get things sorted out and move in the right direction or the team starts over all again. 

12 hours ago, detroitroar said:

I absolutely loathed him saying that.

I hate to say it, but that sounds like a man who's defeated and grasping at straws.

I had hoped he self evaluated this OS but that doesnt seem to be the case.

In a league that is very much "what have you done for me lately?", relying on a single play call five years ago in a different position with a different organization to prove that you know what you're doing is not a good look. 

On 9/14/2020 at 2:31 PM, Nnivolcm said:

That's Patricia causing an issue! 

Slay did want a new contract. Neat. He was still under contract for 2020 at a very reasonable price. They aren't forced to give him a contract. A good GM would be able to take advantage of the comp pick system and get almost what they got for Slay and kept him on the roster to complete his contract, with the option to tag him. Especially a GM from NE where they get good camp picks consistently. 

An issue caused in 2018, one time in the off-season, is not the same as actively causing an issue in 2019. Slay holding on to the grudge for essentially two seasons is more like causing an active issue. I'm not absolving Patricia of having some responsibility in how things broke down but it is far from a one sided matter.

Comp pick: so you have a guy that is disgruntled, wants a new contract, likely to hold out when the season does roll around as a result and you're going to get a 3rd round pick NEXT year.All the while probably causing some issues in the locker room.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

An issue caused in 2018, one time in the off-season, is not the same as actively causing an issue in 2019. Slay holding on to the grudge for essentially two seasons is more like causing an active issue. I'm not absolving Patricia of having some responsibility in how things broke down but it is far from a one sided matter.

Comp pick: so you have a guy that is disgruntled, wants a new contract, likely to hold out when the season does roll around as a result and you're going to get a 3rd round pick NEXT year.All the while probably causing some issues in the locker room.  

I'm not in the locker room, but several people have publicly complained about Patricia starting from the time he got there. I feel as his attitude with the press confirms the stories we hear confirm he's just an arse. He thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and acts like people are beneath him and his results haven't afforded him the slack to get away with that. Slay provided the example, but I think it's foolish to assume that's the only time Patricia acted like an idiot.

What makes you think Slay would have held out into the season? He's been unhappy with his contact before. He skipped off season work, but never held out into the season. Past behavior is a better indicator of future behavior than making stuff up. 

A 3rd next year is more valuable to me than a 3rd last season imo. A 3rd last season has a likely chance of being out of scheme with a new regime taking over after this regime is canned after 2020. If this regime proves me wrong and are still around long enough to make the selection, they'll have earned themselves a cooler seat and the 3rd round pick will fit their philosophy. If, as I suspect, a new regime takes over, they would have had more ammo for a quicker turn around.

Once again, Slay's "locker room issues' was vaguely tweeting about being unhappy about his contract and his best friend and captain being traded away for peanuts, as well as missing some irrelevant time in training camp. If Patricia and his staff can't deal with those "issues" they shouldn't be coaches.