Week 1: Chicago at Detroit

Superduperman

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I have so many mixed feelings, I just don't even know where to begin. 

This felt a lot like watching a game last year - with some improvements and some downgrades. 

- Bevell and the offense become too conservative far too early. I don't know if it's him or if it's Patricia but either way, this approach has hurt them over the last two years far more than it has helped them. If you're going to use the moniker "Dagger Time", you sure better follow through with it. They take their foot off their throats letting bad teams get back into games and then struggle to get off of their heels 

- For a defense that wants to run from back to front, losing your 1st, 2nd (Amani is not the real 2nd CB on this team) and 3rd CB's with two mid-game does not help things. Losing Collins to a really, really dumb penalty did not help things. Every team deals with injuries but this is just week 1. That is a big loss in talent. 

- Peterson looked far better than expected. Swift fit the Riddick role as I expected. Outside of that dropped touchdown pass, which he might have caught under more normal offseason situations, he didn't look too bad. Kerryon didn't look like anything special. I expect that we're going to have to go to this well in the 2021 draft again. 

- KG was definitely missed. It did not bode well when he was out. Marvin Jones did not seem to get a lot of action, which I would have expected with KG not playing this game. Cephus was a lot more involved than expected. 

- I don't fault the team for going for that 55 yard field goal. Prater is near automatic on anything 55 and under. If you're confident in a play that can get you points, you have to take them. 

Ultimately, we were winning this game by double digit points. We now seem to have a running game with AP/Swift. We just gave it away by not making certain plays on offense and on defense. If we can get our guys back healthy there is room for improvement and we have the potential to get over the hump. It's one game with many more ahead of us. 

Kind of think you nailed it with this post. I did not like seeing this D get gashed in the first half like they did with the run. As someone pointed out, that was before the cb got hurt. I don't think this D is any better than last year.  Also, I thought the D played better when Collins was ejected. I think this is going to be a rough year.

Edited by LionArkie

2 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Kind of think you nailed it with this post. I did not like seeing this D get gashed in the first half like they did with the run. As someone pointed out, that was before the cb got hurt. I don't think this D is any better than last year.  Also, I thought the D played better when Collins was ejected. I think this is going to be a rough year.

to @dll2000 point, we haven't had any preseason games and teams are going to be rusty in some ways. Even under a normal year things change and aren't that sharp for the first 2-3 weeks for a lot of teams. Still, when you add in the new pieces... with the bulk of them being former Patriots, it's not supposed to look that way. 

We will know what this team is by week 4 - for good, bad and ugly. 

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

to @dll2000 point, we haven't had any preseason games and teams are going to be rusty in some ways. Even under a normal year things change and aren't that sharp for the first 2-3 weeks for a lot of teams. Still, when you add in the new pieces... with the bulk of them being former Patriots, it's not supposed to look that way. 

We will know what this team is by week 4 - for good, bad and ugly. 

probably, but unfortunately the wins and losses count now as well. They looked exactly how I thought they would look coming into the game and into the season.  If you look back on the first page, I predicted this would happen.  My biggest concern is this team has no identity. Schwartz's teams were aggressive.  Caldwell's teams were disciplined. What are Patricia's Lions? Hamstrung?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

"Trubisky was 11 of 25 for 150 yards with no touchdowns before Trufant exited. After Trufant left the game? The Bears quarterback completed 9 of 11 passes for 92 yards and three touchdowns."

I don't deny Trubisky did much better after the cb's were gone.  I was speaking specifically about the rushing attack. Go all the way back to our mock draft.  I stated then I wanted a good interior DL on this team and thought that was going to make the D work.  I wasn't sold on Shelton. I still am not sold.  I do not deny the Lions D will suffer dramatically from losing their top 4 cb's, but the rb doesn't go through them when gashing the holes. I know injuries happen, but I feel this team seriously needs to look at all these hamstring issues. It seems a bit over the top.

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

I don't deny Trubisky did much better after the cb's were gone.  I was speaking specifically about the rushing attack. Go all the way back to our mock draft.  I stated then I wanted a good interior DL on this team and thought that was going to make the D work.  I wasn't sold on Shelton. I still am not sold.  I do not deny the Lions D will suffer dramatically from losing their top 4 cb's, but the rb doesn't go through them when gashing the holes. I know injuries happen, but I feel this team seriously needs to look at all these hamstring issues. It seems a bit over the top.

Yeah, definitely. That wasn't targeted at you or anything. (It wasn't targeted at anyone. I just found it interesting.)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

"Trubisky was 11 of 25 for 150 yards with no touchdowns before Trufant exited. After Trufant left the game? The Bears quarterback completed 9 of 11 passes for 92 yards and three touchdowns."

If only there was some way for the Lions to have not lost an elite CB for peanuts this off season...

1 minute ago, Nnivolcm said:

Why are you assuming he would have?

... that's the conversation. 3 of our top 4 CBs were hurt in the 4th quarter. Prior to Trufant's injury, Trubisky was mediocre. After Trufant's injury, he was effective enough to win them the game. (The Swift drop permitting.)

Of course, you can pretend that Slay would NOT have gotten hurt, and his presence alone would've won us the game. Doing this would allow you to us an unrealistic hypothetical to toss more blame on Quinn and Patricia, which is always a reasonable move.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

... that's the conversation. 3 of our top 4 CBs were hurt in the 4th quarter. Prior to Trufant's injury, Trubisky was mediocre. After Trufant's injury, he was effective enough to win them the game. (The Swift drop permitting.)

Of course, you can pretend that Slay would NOT have gotten hurt, and his presence alone would've won us the game. Doing this would allow you to us an unrealistic hypothetical to toss more blame on Quinn and Patricia, which is always a reasonable move.

The larger conversation is this regime's ineptitude and the excuses made for them. You pointed out the injuries to the CBs likely contributed to Trubitsky. I pointed out this regime had a better CB than all of them under contract and traded him for peanuts.

More ineptitude. More excuses.

Still waiting for a response on Caldwell's close game record vs Patricia's close game record.

Just now, Nnivolcm said:

The larger conversation is this regime's ineptitude and the excuses made for them. You pointed out the injuries to the CBs likely contributed to Trubitsky. I pointed out this regime had a better CB than all of them under contract and traded him for peanuts.

More ineptitude. More excuses.

Still waiting for a response on Caldwell's close game record vs Patricia's close game record.

Yep. A better CB would have been an inspirational force on the sidelines, motivating the uninjured backups to prevent Trubisky from making those plays. I see the vision.

You need a response when comparing Patricia to Caldwell? I have already given it. (And I'll happily ignore the fact that we were without our best player for half of 2019.) Caldwell built on what was already here, and won... 9 games. Four seasons, and a 9-7 record. To a Lions' fan, that's incredible. Sign me up to barely making the playoffs every few years and getting smacked once we're there. To a Lions' fan, that's its own victory.

It's no surprise that Quinn got here and determined that a 9-7 coach wasn't good enough. He hired a guy that has actually had coaching success in this league, and allowed him to rebuild a mediocre roster. Rebuilding takes time.

Of course, if Swift caught the pass yesterday...

23 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

If only there was some way for the Lions to have not lost an elite CB for peanuts this off season...

Slay was causing an issue in the locker room and wanted a fat new contract to boot. We've all been down this road before and gone into the details on positions of who to blame, etc. At the end of the day, this is Patricia's team and you can't have someone in the locker room causing those kinds of disruptions. Patricia is going to have to wear it for how/why a star player was traded away. If they are successful without him, Patricia should be given credit for that. If the secondary just gets torn apart then Patricia is/should be blamed for it. 

A group of Trufant, Okudah, Coleman and Oruwariye is a nice foursome. It doesn't help that 3/4 were out with injuries. It would not have been any better of a situation if Slay had left with an injury of his own. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Why are you assuming he would have?

It is equally viable to consider that Slay could have been injured just as it is to assume that he wouldn't have been if he was still on the roster. These are all hypotheticals given that he isn't on the roster any longer. 

• Like 1