How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

MrOaktown_56

• 8 months later...
8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Leave it to Harbaugh to choose.

There probably hasn't been a GM in NFL history that has done less with more then Mike Mayock. Carr balling out this season despite very little talent around him and Gus Bradley's ability to find guys that fit his scheme perfectly saved us down the stretch. 

In the draft he has wasted so many premium picks and almost every FA we've signed to a sizable deal has been an absolute bust.

56 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

There probably hasn't been a GM in NFL history that has done less with more then Mike Mayock. Carr balling out this season despite very little talent around him and Gus Bradley's ability to find guys that fit his scheme perfectly saved us down the stretch. 

In the draft he has wasted so many premium picks and almost every FA we've signed to a sizable deal has been an absolute bust.

My 2 caveats are: 

1. Some of those guys are getting better

2. We honestly don't know what Gruden did/didn't do.

But if we can get a slam dunk GM (e.g. Ed Dodds), you have to think we do it.

• Like 1

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

My 2 caveats are: 

1. Some of those guys are getting better

2. We honestly don't know what Gruden did/didn't do.

But if we can get a slam dunk GM (e.g. Ed Dodds), you have to think we do it.

We've just wasted so much premium draft capital and most of the guys that have improved or look like good picks are almost all Gus Bradley's guys. If you're going to blame Gruden for the bad, you can't credit Mayock for the good. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We've just wasted so much premium draft capital and most of the guys that have improved or look like good picks are almost all Gus Bradley's guys. If you're going to blame Gruden for the bad, you can't credit Mayock for the good. 

I am inclined to agree with you. My one caveat is that Mayock may have drafted the early rounds for the coaches based on preference/scheme and the later rounds were just his to do what he wanted with.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I am inclined to agree with you. My one caveat is that Mayock may have drafted the early rounds for the coaches based on preference/scheme and the later rounds were just his to do what he wanted with.

Ehh. Hobbs, Deablo, Koonce all screamed Bradley guys, they were perfect fits for his scheme. 

In 2020 our later round picks were Muse, Bowden, Robertson, Simpson, and Edwards. 

He did hit on Renfrow, Moreau, and Crosby later on in 2019.

That's not that inspiring, imo. Reggie McKenzie's 2014 class was far better then any class Mayock has had as our GM.

If Mayock is retained I think it will be the Reggie McKenzie situation all over again if we hire Harbaugh. Since we're in the playoffs, if we're going to hire a new GM and a coaching staff the timing wouldn't be ideal. I'm assuming a new GM would want some input on the next coach and we're already pretty late in the process with free agency and the draft right around the corner. I think Mark will retain Mayock to keep some stability in the front office, hire Harbaugh, and then let Harbaugh bring in his guy next off-season like we did with Reggie.

Honestly, Mayock is lucky Maxx turned into something. Without him, there is no pressure and the defense would still be a mess.

Otherwise, you cannot overlook the following draft mistakes in the top 100 picks (excluding the 2021 class)

• Ferrell - reach, bust - confirmed Mayock guy
  • Jacobs - poor value, but okay player
  • Abram - reach, bust
  • Mullen - up and down - verdict coming year 3
  • Ruggs - promising and failure is on the player
  • Arnette - reach, bust - confirmed Mayock guy
  • Bowden - didn't play a down for the Raiders
  • Edwards - verdict coming year 3
  • Muse - Taken 3 rounds to high, bust, never played a down for the Raiders

Has a GM done less with more resources than this? Not a single franchise player in the mix. 

The Raiders, behind Carr, have won despite some egregious draft errors that limited their talent to get to the next level. 

Mayock has def had his misses, and our first round pick has straight up been embarrassing. . .but Gruden completely gutted the team and since Mayock came on board weve been 7-9,8-8 and now 10-7. Despite all the misses, we have improved. Just a shame because we had so much fire power. IF our first rounders were decent wed be serious right now. 

However, to say all the guys on D he brought in that are good are Gus guys, so Gus gets credit . . we need to remember who hired Gus IMO. That was Mayock. 

Who made the decision to make Rich the interim HC, Mayock. Has Rich been perfect, hell no. But for an Interim HC he has these guys playing together. 

We say this board could do better then him drafting, (probably true), but we would of gotten rid of Carr as well, and we may be struggling with a young QB this season instead of in the playoffs. Mayock kept Carr, a lot of people would not of. 

Gruden torn this team down his first year, then brought mayock in to help build it up. IT was always a 3 year project minimum, and here we are in playoffs after year 3. With a ton of crap having gone on. 

It just really sucks, because we wasted so many 1st round picks. 

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Mayock has def had his misses, and our first round pick has straight up been embarrassing. . .but Gruden completely gutted the team and since Mayock came on board weve been 7-9,8-8 and now 10-7. Despite all the misses, we have improved. Just a shame because we had so much fire power. IF our first rounders were decent wed be serious right now. 

However, to say all the guys on D he brought in that are good are Gus guys, so Gus gets credit . . we need to remember who hired Gus IMO. That was Mayock. 

Who made the decision to make Rich the interim HC, Mayock. Has Rich been perfect, hell no. But for an Interim HC he has these guys playing together. 

We say this board could do better then him drafting, (probably true), but we would of gotten rid of Carr as well, and we may be struggling with a young QB this season instead of in the playoffs. Mayock kept Carr, a lot of people would not of. 

Gruden torn this team down his first year, then brought mayock in to help build it up. IT was always a 3 year project minimum, and here we are in playoffs after year 3. With a ton of crap having gone on. 

It just really sucks, because we wasted so many 1st round picks. 

With Mayock we've been about average and the only reason we are slightly above average this year is because Carr played out of his mind and Gus Bradley was able to scrape together a rag tag group defensively, mainly consisting of former players. 

Mayock did not hire Gus Bradley, that was Gruden's decision. You think that Gruden was in control of everything but let Mike Mayock hire his defensive coaching staff? 

Carr and Gruden were best buddies, they are literally neighbors that built their houses right next door to one another, but it was Mayock's decision to bring him back?

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

With Mayock we've been about average and the only reason we are slightly above average this year is because Carr played out of his mind and Gus Bradley was able to scrape together a rag tag group defensively, mainly consisting of former players. 

Mayock did not hire Gus Bradley, that was Gruden's decision. You think that Gruden was in control of everything but let Mike Mayock hire his defensive coaching staff? 

Carr and Gruden were best buddies, they are literally neighbors that built their houses right next door to one another, but it was Mayock's decision to bring him back?

So what was Grudens decision and what was Mayocks? What was mayock doing the last 3 years?
Yes I think Mayock had a big role in our coaching personal. Gruden hired Gunther, Gruden and Mayock hired Bradley. 

The last 3 years youve been spewing the raiders were drafting a qb, blah blah blah, but now saying Gruden loved Carr? little hindsight bias. 
I do love seeing you say Carr played out of his mind. Oh my how times have changed lol. 

Obviously Gruden had a ton of control over the team, that is why its tough for us fans who dont know a ton of the inside room to really judge mayock. 
I believe his drafts, he drafted for what the coaches wanted. 
IE We took Ruggs over Lamb, because Gruden wanted / needed a legit deep threat for his system. That was Ruggs. 

That is also how I want my GM to operate. That is why NE is good because their HC and GM are on the same page haha. 

the problem is when you have crappy coordinators, you draft players for that role and then change Ds the following year.