How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

MrOaktown_56

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You're being very liberal here because of comments from Will Compton.  Players couldn't cover, couldn't tackle, couldn't get off blocks, etc. That's the players, not the complex scheme. They literally sucked at the basics. 

I remember the mariota game and the chargers rb broke kwit and Littleton tackle for a first down. Scheme can’t teach tackling 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I remember the mariota game and the chargers rb broke kwit and Littleton tackle for a first down. Scheme can’t teach tackling 

Raiders LBs suck. Nobody wants to hear that because they signed those 2 last season, but they are decidedly average on their best days. Littleton is not a 3 down LB and did nothing to help in coverage against guys like Kelce. Kwaitkowski was okay in making tackles, got beat in coverage a good bit however.

I'm still waiting for that dude at LB on this team that can get sideline to sideline, cover and create turnovers.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Raiders LBs suck. Nobody wants to hear that because they signed those 2 last season, but they are decidedly average on their best days. Littleton is not a 3 down LB and did nothing to help in coverage against guys like Kelce. Kwaitkowski was okay in making tackles, got beat in coverage a good bit however.

I'm still waiting for that dude at LB on this team that can get sideline to sideline, cover and create turnovers.

Nick played well against the run and in coverage when he was healthy. I disagree that Littleton is not a 3 down LB. 

Littleton.gif

He was often on the field as the only LB with 6 DB's in the Rams scheme and thrived in coverage. He had 5 interceptions and 22 passes defended in his final two seasons with the Rams. I still have hope that he can bounce back and live up to his contract in a new scheme. Guenther's scheme was clearly out dated and he sucked as a coach. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Arnette covering the flat and leaving his man wide open 40 yards down the field in a prevent situation against the Dolphins was one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life. 

Why are we calling cover 2 under zone in that situation. Why not just play man up prevent defense. Yeah a rookie with 6 games under his belt in his 2nd defensive scheme in a season made a dumb mistake. The coach should know better though. 

16 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Why are we calling cover 2 under zone in that situation. Why not just play man up prevent defense. Yeah a rookie with 6 games under his belt in his 2nd defensive scheme in a season made a dumb mistake. The coach should know better though. 

There was like 17 seconds left and the Dolphins had no timeouts. Not sure why Arnettte/Guenther thought that they should be looking to stop a check down. 

18 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Not what anyone was saying at the time. Everyone thought post FA last year the defense would massively improve because they finally addressed the LBs and DT. Result... worst defense in franchise history.

You're not wrong! I think after FA last year we had pretty decent reason to be optimistic, and I certainly wouldn't hold it against anyone who felt that way......... The players we brought in had succeeded elsewhere, were mostly young and it looked like a good FA class with something to prove. Obviously things didn't pan out well but Kwiatkoski and Littleton I feel can still be good players - though not the game changers that will elevate a D. We need that this year without fail at DT 🤔

• Like 1

18 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Not what anyone was saying at the time. Everyone thought post FA last year the defense would massively improve because they finally addressed the LBs and DT. Result... worst defense in franchise history.

I think one of the biggest reasons our defense failed to live up to expectations was because none of our young players improved and most of them actually took a step back in year 2. 

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Obviously things didn't pan out well but Kwiatkoski and Littleton I feel can still be good players - though not the game changers that will elevate a D. 

Kwit was pretty good last year and I still have faith that Littleton can be a solid 3-down LB for us in Bradley's scheme. In the modern NFL how many LB's truly elevate a D without being a pass rusher. I'd say that guys who really elevate a defense are defensive lineman, corners, and FS.

If you have a dominant defensive lineman he can wreck a game by getting pressures/sacks/tackles for loss. And he also switches the opposing teams entire blocking scheme which allows other guys to get one-on-one matchups and that often results in quicker passes so DB's don't have to hold up in coverage as long and LB's being able to run freely to make tackles. 

If you have dominant CB they can take away half of the field and essentially eliminate the other teams #1 WR. 

If you have a dominant FS it can cover up mistakes made by other guys in coverage and allows you to be more aggressive and versatile with how you use your SS. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

It wasn't gunether that game. 

Yeah, I'm not going to act like I know the play call or what Arnette's assignment was supposed to be. But the fact that he was trying to cover the flat in a hail mary situation has to be one of the lowest football IQ plays I've seen a guy make. And as a life long Raiders fan that's saying a lot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dante9876 said:

It's almost irrelevant what the play call was that play though. Even most of us guys in here would know the one thing he can't do is just let the guy waltz in behind him. Cripes, the kid was a 1st round pick, from a big school, been in a championship programme and big games and wasn't a 19 year old kid from a tiny obscure college. If he doesn't understand the basic do's and don'ts of a play like that them I'm just dumbfounded 🙃 

I don't blame the play call or the DC at all for that, that was (the same as Arden Key) just incredibly naïve, and a brain-dead play by a young player who couldn't think on his feet. No excuses.

Shared this in the other thread as well but man it makes the Joyner signing look even more questionable. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-lamarcus-joyner-20170524-story.html

When new coach Sean McVay and Phillips were hired in January, Joyner said he repeated his desire to play safety. Phillips is installing a 3-4 scheme.

“I’m more of a ‘find-ball-see-ball’ guy,” Joyner said, “and coach Wade Phillips’ philosophy is: ‘The ball is the most important thing: Get to the ball.’

“And that’s what I like doing. At safety, I can see the whole field. I’m not in man-to-man every play. I get to use my strengths to run and hit, or run and go get the ball out of the air, things that I like doing.”

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Gruden and Mayock definitely played a part in him playing exclusively at slot CB. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raiders/jon-gruden-compares-raiders-db-lamarcus-joyner-one-his-favorites

of course they signed him to play slot but It’s not their defense of scheme and they don’t call the players on defense. They got these players to fit whatever Paul Gunther scheme was. Mike Mayock said that when he first got hired he went to each position coach and coordinator and ask them what they look for. so Gunther had a strong say in which defensive players were brought in and what position they played