NFL General Discussion

candyman93

7 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

It’s hilarious how triggered owners and Gms are over watsons contract. They can’t get away with not fully guaranteeing their most important person in the franchise anymore. All nfl contracts should be guaranteed. 

Yep, with cap relief for injuries. The player gets paid but an injury doesn’t hit the reset button either.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Watson's play will determine if it was a good trade or not. Maybe we could have hit on a QB, but we haven't done so in years. And last year's QB class stunk.

I get you hate the trade, and I certainly didn't love it at the time. But from a strictly football perspective, it made sense why we pulled the trigger. This team is built to win now but the FO/coaching staff didn't believe we had the QB to win a Super Bowl. They felt they had to make a move for a QB, and I don't blame them.

We paid more than anyone else was willing to, so obviously we overpaid what others thought his value was. I'm sure some of it was because of his criminal cases weren't settled and he hadn't yet settled his civil cases and was still due a suspension, but everything considered, we still overpaid.

To pay that, you have to get a difference maker. Someone who can make a 4 win team a 7 win team or a 7 win team a 10 win team. That will be the indicator if he was worth it. With our roster I'd say we should expect 9 wins with an average QB. So 12 wins is a good start. Still, if you don't win a championship before this all ends it failed. But baby steps, can he elevate the team just by being great? We'll have to see. He certainly can't have the results of last year which was of a below average QB, he needs to perform, like a QB you traded three 1sts for and gave a record contract to while having dozens of sexual abuse charges against him. So basically, one of the best in the game. He needs to do it no matter how average his receivers are and even if his offensive line is only top 10 in the league along with one of if not the best RB in the game. A tall task for sure, but that's why we sold our soul to get him.

44 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yep, with cap relief for injuries. The player gets paid but an injury doesn’t hit the reset button either.

Yeah, but it will hurt the fans. You are stuck with a player who sucks all of a sudden. Some players play to get paid and then check out, they don't deserve to be rewarded with a contract they aren't earning. Lamar very well may be one of those, with his "injury" last year keeping him out for many weeks and even a playoff game. I wouldn't fully guarantee his contract. I wouldn't have for Watson either, no one seen him play after his first big contract, he just sat out the year. Then wanted more money.

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, but it will hurt the fans. You are stuck with a player who sucks all of a sudden. Some players play to get paid and then check out, they don't deserve to be rewarded with a contract they aren't earning. Lamar very well may be one of those, with his "injury" last year keeping him out for many weeks and even a playoff game. I wouldn't fully guarantee his contract. I wouldn't have for Watson either, no one seen him play after his first big contract, he just sat out the year. Then wanted more money.

Personally, I really don’t care either way. Everyone wants to point to the NBA but they also have max deals and the NFL is infinitely more violent and an overall better product. 

3 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Sounds like Buffalo won't be retaining Jordan Poyer. I know he's not as good as he once was, but I wouldn't mind bringing him back if the price is right.

He’s exactly what we need imo. Experienced vet who can provide stability on the back end and let our exceptionally talented corners do their thing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

Sounds like Buffalo won't be retaining Jordan Poyer. I know he's not as good as he once was, but I wouldn't mind bringing him back if the price is right.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s exactly what we need imo. Experienced vet who can provide stability on the back end and let our exceptionally talented corners do their thing.

mmmm idk. He's at his best playing in a 2-high safety look. From everything I hear about Schwartz, we'll be 1-high. I think our perfect FA fit would be Eric Rowe, as he fits much better in that role. I think Delpit is our single high S--we are looking for a roll-down S that can man up a slot. Rowe, a former CB, is a great fit for that role.

& while I don't really like the S class as a whole, there are some nice players that fit that mold.

1. Brian Branch (will be long gone)
2. Kelee Ringo (CB convert)
3. Jammie Robinson
4. Sydney Brown
5. Jartavious Martin

I think my lean right now if we don't address S in the draft would be to go with Ringo in R2. If we walk out of R2 with one of Kelee Ringo, BJ Ojulari, or Nolan Smith, I'll be very happy.

Edited by BetterCallSaul

10 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

mmmm idk. He's at his best playing in a 2-high safety look. From everything I hear about Schwartz, we'll be 1-high. I think our perfect FA fit would be Eric Rowe, as he fits much better in that role. I think Delpit is our single high S--we are looking for a roll-down S that can man up a slot. Rowe, a former CB, is a great fit for that role.

Definitely possible, but against better QBs I think we’ll see plenty of 2 high looks. 

I also don’t love/trust Delpit as a single high S, he made a lot of mistakes last season.

& while I don't really like the S class as a whole, there are some nice players that fit that mold.

1. Brian Branch (will be long gone)
2. Kelee Ringo (CB convert)
3. Jammie Robinson
4. Sydney Brown
5. Jartavious Martin

I think Ringo will be long gone also.  Brown is a stud.

I think my lean right now if we don't address S in the draft would be to go with Ringo in R2. If we walk out of R2 with one of Kelee Ringo, BJ Ojulari, or Nolan Smith, I'll be very happy.

I’d be surprised if Smith or Ringo are there, but yeah all of those guys would work for me.

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think Delpit is our single high S--we are looking for a roll-down S that can man up a slot. Rowe, a former CB, is a great fit for that role.

Telling you bro

they want Grant in the box

I’m 99.9% sure it’s either going to be Jessie Bates or Juan Thornhill coming in at FS.

Jessie officially didn’t get tagged. I’m 90% sure it’s gonna be him  

3 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Telling you bro

they want Grant in the box

He's more than athletic enough to play FS. It's actually less thinking than the S that has to roll into the box.

I’m 99.9% sure it’s either going to be Jessie Bates or Juan Thornhill coming in at FS.

I'm 90% sure it won't be either one of them. Think cheaper.

Jessie officially didn’t get tagged. I’m 90% sure it’s gonna be him  

I'm 90% sure it won't be him. He's gonna break our bank & we have glaring needs across the DL.

22 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

He's more than athletic enough to play FS. It's actually less thinking than the S that has to roll into the box.

I'm 90% sure it won't be him. He's gonna break our bank & we have glaring needs across the DL.

Don’t underestimate what getting a franchise QB can do to help you bring in FAs. Jessie wants to win he was just in a superbowl.

I doubt hes gonna spend his prime years hoping Desmond Ridder is any good. 

4 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Don’t underestimate what getting a franchise QB can do to help you bring in FAs. Jessie wants to win he was just in a superbowl.

I doubt hes gonna spend his prime years hoping Desmond Ridder is any good. 

uhhhh.....Jesse Bates clearly doesn't care about playing with an elite QB if he's leaving Cinci for Cleveland. If he's leaving Cinci, it's to get a bag from somebody.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

uhhhh.....Jesse Bates clearly doesn't care about playing with an elite QB if he's leaving Cinci for Cleveland. If he's leaving Cinci, it's to get a bag from somebody.

They’re the ones that aren’t trying to resign him. As you see they didn’t franchise him. If they wanted to pay him he would’ve been franchised worst case. 

They already made their decision when they drafted Daxton Hill last year to be his replacement. 

That has nothing to do with Bates. He already said he wanted to resign. As we know the Bengals are cheap this shouldn’t come as a surprise. 

42 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

agreed, the issue has nothing to do with his athletic traits.

42 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I have nothing to base my opinion off of other than hunches but I agree we’re looking for a cheaper option.  I think the money will be spent on the DL.