College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I wouldn’t forsake the defense in the draft by any means and that is where a lot of our needs clearly are. But I am hoping we can fill some of those voids in free agency and would consider getting some young offensive play makers in the fold. Particularly at receiver and a future starting potential offensive lineman. I see some veterans out there that will not be on this roster much longer. Also, we need to really see year five what Baker can do with decent WRs, as we continue to see somewhat of a mash group. OBJ is also out the door and Jarvis’ future is somewhat an unknown. 

With 3 returning young WR talents: DPJ (Boundary, Possession WR), Demetric Felton (Slot WR), and Anthony Schwartz (Boundary, Speed WR)

AND and the possibility of 3 returning Vets: Jarvis, OBJ, and Rashard Higgins (less likely), I just don't see a WR being a necessary high round investment especially when the Browns don't have any currently returning solutions at Edge, FS, or LB. Contractually speaking, I doubt Jarvis or OBJ is gone next year.

I don't think the Browns will be able to find a quality FS, Edge, or LB in free agency given the guys that are set to be available and the Browns analytic guard rails. They've already committed big money to JJ3, I doubt they give out big money to a Tyran Mathieu or Marcus Maye type, but I could be wrong. At LB and Edge, there aren't really options as well and I don't think the Browns can commit big money to Clowney or Takk or rely on them to be the guy opposite of Myles.

Baker has all the offensive talent a top paid QB needs to succeed and most top paid QBs are expected to succeed with less. I do think he could benefit from a better TE1 and quality depth at OT. 

38 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Where’s the fix for the OL?  Even if you plan on resigning Teller, Hubbard is gone and not bringing in at least one OL would be criminal.  Personally I think a day 1/2 IOL prospect and a day 3 OT are necessary.

Indeed. That makes sense.

39 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ward is back next season as we’ve already picked up his 5th year.  That means we’d have our top 5 corners all coming back and tbh they’re talented enough. The scheme needs fixed. I think next April we’d be better served focusing resources elsewhere.

Yeah, I didn't mean he's moving on after this year but like Jack Conklin he'll be gone after next imo and at such a vital necessary position contingency planning has to happen this offseason. 

Definitely makes more sense to devote an early resource 1st rounder to EDGE over CB, but out of what I believe are the Browns other need positions like MLB, FS, Backup OT, and Reliable CB1, it makes more sense to spend a 2nd round or 3rd rounder on CB just because of positional value.

You are right though that with Denzel Ward, Greg Newsome II, Greedy Williams, Troy Hill, and AJ Green returning, it might make more sense to go FS or OT in a round 2. I think they resign Teller for sure and Blake Hance and Michael Dunn are believed to be viable interior options in the two deep interior. At some point, the Browns need to address the Center positions.

You can legitimately justify a Top selection at any position except for RB and maybe Safety in the upcoming draft.

If you are letting Teller walk in free agency, and if Tretter, Bitonio, Conklin and Ward go within the next two years, that leaves holes in the interior OL (BIG TIME) and on the outside as a CB, pending Greedy's future and Newsome's production. If Harrison leaves and Delpit or LeCounte aren't log term answers, then Safety needs addressed.

Throw in major needs at the WR position (regardless IMO) with OBJ and Landry gone, even if you re-sign Higgins (who is a fine #3 receiver), potential depth at RB with Hunt leaving (likely) after that, and then you still have EDGE need opposite Myles and certainly depth regardless, and glaring holes at the ILB positions and/or a complement to JOK.

The interior DL could also be addressed beside Malik McDowell, pending whatever happens with Tommy T.

I still believe Felton is more of an "X Factor" type that has value as a RB and flex guy vs. a traditional RB#2, and Schwartz is a virtual unknown as a WR, similar to our young OL guys.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 8:44 AM, MWil23 said:

Tretter, Bitonio, Conklin

Tretter and conk are the only ones worth letting walk. I would want Jed, Bit, and Teller to be our core of the OL. I would try and keep Tretter until it’s time to sign Jed. 

On 10/30/2021 at 10:20 PM, mtmmike said:

First round leal dt Texas am

2nd round Zach Harrison 6feet 6 inches

265 pounds runs a 4.4 fourty.

If Zach Harrison is drafted before the 4th round I'd be shocked. Dude has workout warrior all over him. If LJ can't get him to be one of the best DE in the country, he isn't going to be one in the NFL. I could be wrong because the physical side is there, the actual game play isn't. 

• Like 1