College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

If Baker continues to struggle, Browns fans are going to do what we do which is look to the draft for hope.

Unfortunately, there's no QB to save the Browns if Baker goes belly up (I doubt that he will ... at least not completely)

The Browns have to get Baker to right the ship b/c there's no help coming from this QB class even  with the #1 overall pick.

Malik Willis is the only prospect with that next level high ceiling that could be a game changer, but he's a total projection and in reality a developmental prospect.

Everyone else in the class comparatively makes Justin Fields look like the best QB prospect of all time. The Bears were genius not to go into this upcoming draft looking for a Franchise QB. The teams that do are in a lot of trouble.

There's a lot of big arms but that's really it.

------------

2022 QBs:

Potential Top 10 QB Skill

1.) Malik Willis

------

The Meh - Everyone Else (No Particular Order)

Sam Howell

Matt Corral

Spencer Rattler

Desmond Ridder

Tanner Mckee

Carson Strong

Kedon Slovis

Aqeel Glass

Edited by Empire Lies

Yeah this QB Class is weak af 

I don’t think we have to find a franchise QB at this point

I think we just need to pay Baker correctly and play him correctly. We’ve got a ton of talent. If we pay him like a 12-16 QB then this can work. 

But if he wants top 10 money this won’t work. 

Hopefully today was an anomaly 🤞🏾

10 hours ago, Empire Lies said:

If Baker continues to struggle, Browns fans are going to do what we do which is look to the draft for hope.

Unfortunately, there's no QB to save the Browns if Baker goes belly up (I doubt that he will ... at least not completely)

The Browns have to get Baker to right the ship b/c there's no help coming from this QB class even  with the #1 overall pick.

Malik Willis is the only prospect with that next level high ceiling that could be a game changer, but he's a total projection and in reality a developmental prospect.

Everyone else in the class comparatively makes Justin Fields look like the best QB prospect of all time. The Bears were genius not to go into this upcoming draft looking for a Franchise QB. The teams that do are in a lot of trouble.

There's a lot of big arms but that's really it.

------------

2022 QBs:

Potential Top 10 QB Skill

1.) Malik Willis

------

The Meh - Everyone Else (No Particular Order)

Sam Howell

Matt Corral

Spencer Rattler

Desmond Ridder

Tanner Mckee

Carson Strong

Kedon Slovis

Aqeel Glass

Sir, this is a Wendy's

• Like 5

Positions I'd like to look at (in no particular order):

*DT (rotational guys)

*EDGE (pending Clowney/Takk)

*MIKE LB (to pair with JOK)

*WR: Jarvis and OBJ command a lot of cap, and within the next couple years one or more of them will be gone. Higgins is on the last year of his contract as well

*OL (Depth specifically on the interior of the line. Tretter and Bitonio are aging and Teller is a pending free agent)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Positions I'd like to look at (in no particular order):

*DT (rotational guys)

*EDGE (pending Clowney/Takk)

*MIKE LB (to pair with JOK)

*WR: Jarvis and OBJ command a lot of cap, and within the next couple years one or more of them will be gone. Higgins is on the last year of his contract as well

*OL (Depth specifically on the interior of the line. Tretter and Bitonio are aging and Teller is a pending free agent)

1.) OT/OG - Jack Conklin signed a short 3-year deal 2 years ago so next year is his last contract year.  That means OT and OG (assuming the Browns don't resign Teller) are the Top Priority Position. With Baker OLine is King.

2.) Edge - Even if the Browns bring back one of Takk Mckinley or Jadaveon Clowney, they're going to need to integrate a core young talented person to pair with Myles in the years to come.

3.) MLB - A speedy, versatile LB next to JOK would level up what Joe Woods could do on early and 3rd downs.

4.) Impact Safety - I have my doubts that Ronnie Harrison is resigned as the guy. With Delpit's injury history, the Browns will always need to have another reliable option. Joe Woods' desire to play 3 versatile impact safeties also means this is going to be a position of need anyway.

5,) CB - Given Joe Woods' scheme and the injury histories of Denzel, Greg, and Greedy, it's important to keep adding playmaking DBs

I think the Front Office likely thinks that DPJ and Anthony Schwartz deserve to get starter reps at some point. Andrew Berry and Paul DePo have always stressed that you not only have to draft younger talents but that you have to give them the opportunity to play real snaps over an extended amount of time to see how good they can be. Likely means the only WR they'd be looking to add would be a true WR1, 1st Round talent and it's tough to see them doing that with a year left with OBJ and Jarvis.

Edited by Empire Lies

21 minutes ago, Empire Lies said:

OT/OG - Jack Conklin signed a short 3-year deal 2 years ago so next year is his last contract year.  That means OT and OG (assuming the Browns don't resign Teller) are the Top Priority Position. With Baker OLine is King.

They’re not letting Jack Conklin walk. That would be moronic.

23 minutes ago, Empire Lies said:

1.) OT/OG - Jack Conklin signed a short 3-year deal 2 years ago so next year is his last contract year.  That means OT and OG (assuming the Browns don't resign Teller) are the Top Priority Position. With Baker OLine is King.

I could also see a lower priced FA too.

2.) Edge - Even if the Browns bring back one of Takk Mckinley or Jadaveon Clowney, they're going to need to integrate a core young talented person to pair with Myles in the years to come.

Absolutely.

4.) Impact Safety - I have my doubts that Ronnie Harrison is resigned as the guy. With Delpit's injury history, the Browns will always need to have another reliable option. Joe Woods' desire to play 3 versatile impact safeties also means this is going to be a position of need anyway.

Ronnie is good when he plays, but man does he manage to miss games.

5,) CB - Given Joe Woods' scheme and the injury histories of Denzel, Greg, and Greedy, it's important to keep adding playmaking DBs

I think we’ll draft a CB most years tbh.

I think the Front Office likely thinks that DPJ and Anthony Schwartz deserve to get starter reps at some point. Andrew Berry and Paul DePo have always stressed that you not only have to draft younger talents but that you have to give them the opportunity to play real snaps over an extended amount of time to see how good they can be. Likely means the only WR they'd be looking to add would be a true WR1, 1st Round talent and it's tough to see them doing that with a year left with OBJ and Jarvis.

WR is one position I’d be surprised to see them draft R1.

I could see rounds 2-4 most years though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Empire Lies said:

1.) OT/OG - Jack Conklin signed a short 3-year deal 2 years ago so next year is his last contract year.  That means OT and OG (assuming the Browns don't resign Teller) are the Top Priority Position.

Definitely, unless they believe the kid from UC they drafted this past year is the viable answer for the future at one of those spots.

With Baker OLine is King.

With EVERY QB OL is king. Ask Patrick Mahomes last year in the Super Bowl, or Tom Brady at basically any point of his career.

I'm personally always in the "always draft an EDGE guy" camp each year, regardless of what round.

3.) MLB - A speedy, versatile LB next to JOK would level up what Joe Woods could do on early and 3rd downs.

No question. It's a glaring hole, particularly if we're going to run this much zone and carrying a TE underneath vertically (which I'm not against).

It depends upon Harrison and Delpit for sure here. LeCounte has shown some potential as well, so we'll see there.

In a modern NFL, you can never have too many CB's, but that depends upon whether or not you want to build around Greedy and Denzel. Newsome is locked in for another 3 years at minimum as a centerpiece.

Given the contracts on the table, that still leaves plenty of room to adding some help on the outside. Schwartz is likely a true slot type or #4, and DPJ needs to start showing some of those flashes that we've seen on the outside. Even if they both show you that (we'll see), you desperately still need another outside guy, even if you bring back Hollywood again, because he's a move in/out of the slot guy as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Given the contracts on the table, that still leaves plenty of room to adding some help on the outside. Schwartz is likely a true slot type or #4,

Agreed.

and DPJ needs to start showing some of those flashes that we've seen on the outside.

I mean, he’s gotta have the ball thrown his way. He’s caught all 4 of the passes he’s had thrown at him.

Even if they both show you that (we'll see), you desperately still need another outside guy, even if you bring back Hollywood again, because he's a move in/out of the slot guy as well.

Yeah if we move on from OBJ/Landry, I think bringing back Higgins is a must, as is a lower priced vet as well as another rookie to keep developing.

I do think DPJ year 3 and Schwartz and Felton year 2 may be much further ahead than they are now.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed.

Perry Cox Laughing GIF by HULU

I mean, he’s gotta have the ball thrown his way. He’s caught all 4 of the passes he’s had thrown at him.

I'm not criticizing him, and he can only do what he does/make the most of opportunities given to him. I'm just saying that he hasn't shown that he CAN be that #1 guy, or that he CAN'T be that #1 guy. He's still basically an unknown going forward.

Yeah if we move on from OBJ/Landry, I think bringing back Higgins is a must, as is a lower priced vet as well as another rookie to keep developing.

He's a guy I'd absolutely get for another 2-3 year deal. He won't command much money, and he's productive when given the opportunities. He struggles to consistently beat man coverage, but he's got great hands, he's a 3rd down production machine, and he and Baker have something going there.

I do think DPJ year 3 and Schwartz and Felton year 2 may be much further ahead than they are now.

I won't be surprised one bit, and I also wouldn't be surprised if they're counting on Felton being the "heir apparent" in the slot. I don't think that he's going to be asked to do much in the backfield unless it's purely in a 2 back set (passing) with Hunt.