College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

6 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I’m not so sure he doesn’t go middle to late first round instead of high first round. He is a great player, but I can see a couple other guys maybe entering the equation with the higher upsides. 

Idk man, some guys might have higher upside but Olave is going to be farther a long than a lot of guys. I think guys coached by Hartline are going to see draft stock automacially boosted since he is coaching these guys up so well. Add in he is 6'1 190ish runs a sub 4.4 and will have an amazing resume.

I would love if the Browns could land him Or Garrett Wilson. 

19 hours ago, candyman93 said:

He’s Michael Thomas to me.

A physical possession WR that will torch you on slants.

I'd rather just trade for Michael Thomas 

16 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Agreed.  It seemed like a lot of our issues with linebackers last year was the defensive line not protecting them, therefor they got caught being blocked by offensive linemen.  I think Billings will do a lot to add to that.  We didn't have a good run stuffing DT before, hopefully Billings is what we need for that.  We have more than enough pass rushers with Jackson, Takk, Myles and Clowney, I like that billings is there to work the box.

I can vividly remembering guys saying the linebackers weren't making the "correct reads" or "being out of position" last season, now its the DL's fault? I don't buy that at all. As a matter of fact, the DL was the one unit that kept our defense from being a disaster. Someone in this thread said that he was an elite run suffer, if he was elite he would have been retained in Cincinnati as a young nucleus type of guy, he wasn't. If he gives us what Danny Shelton gave us in terms of run stuffing/keeping LBs clean, that would be a massive win.  

51 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I can vividly remembering guys saying the linebackers weren't making the "correct reads" or "being out of position" last season, now its the DL's fault? I don't buy that at all. As a matter of fact, the DL was the one unit that kept our defense from being a disaster. Someone in this thread said that he was an elite run suffer, if he was elite he would have been retained in Cincinnati as a young nucleus type of guy, he wasn't. If he gives us what Danny Shelton gave us in terms of run stuffing/keeping LBs clean, that would be a massive win.  

Shelton truly wasn’t that good. 

also Cincy is notorious for letting decent FAs walk for weird reasons l

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

Shelton truly wasn’t that good. 

also Cincy is notorious for letting decent FAs walk for weird reasons l

Two things: 

1. First we have to realize what he was brought here for, he wasn't brought here to be a penetrating playmaker like an Aaron Donald. His job was to protect his gaps and keep the LBs clean which he did. 

2. I'm certainly not a PFF snob but he did have an 82.1 rating while he was here which was damn good, and coincidentally we had some of our best linebacker play with Kirko, Demario Davis and Jamie Collins (who was playing lights out before his injury). We just had a historically crappy team around them.

He will always get a bad rap because people expected playmaking and that was not what he was designed to be, much like Sam Adams and Casey Hampton were for their teams but their linebackers flourished. I thought Shelton was damn good at his job, you never seen him getting drove back or on the ground much, any time you have a guy constantly taking up two blockers and is at the LOS or deeper, thats a win for the defense because someone is free. Just my take...

Edited by MSURacerDT55

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Two things: 

1. First we have to realize what he was brought here for, he wasn't brought here to be a penetrating playmaker like an Aaron Donald. His job was to protect his gaps and keep the LBs clean which he did. 

2. I'm certainly not a PFF snob but he did have an 82.1 rating while he was here which was damn good, and coincidentally we had some of our best linebacker play with Kirko, Demario Davis and Jamie Collins (who was playing lights out before his injury). We just had a historically crappy team around them.

He will always get a bad rap because people expected playmaking and that was not what he was designed to be, much like Sam Adams and Casey Hampton were for their teams but their linebackers flourished. I thought Shelton was damn good at his job, you never seen him getting drove back or on the ground much, any time you have a guy constantly taking up two blockers and is at the LOS or deeper, thats a win for the defense because someone is free. Just my take...

I never expected him to be this massive disruptive force. But he wasnt this stone wall like you are making him out to be. His finally year in Cleveland, Coley out played. He was never constantly stalemating blocks at the LOS. That ‘17 season should have been a career yr with Garrett and Ogbah playing DE but he still was meh. Believe Football outsiders shows the run defense for mid/guards was nothing special at all. Seems like Shelton try to get by on just his size a lone. He has had one good yr in his career and the pats moved on from after it. He was a dud with the lions last year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Two things: 

He was a high first rounder. He was a bust.

• Like 3

On 8/9/2021 at 11:42 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

My mistake, I didn't mean our linebackers I meant our run defense.   Of course our linebackers were slow or young and inexperienced, but they were not the only problem on that defense.  Ogunjobi was consistently regressing year to year, and Sheldon Richardson just wasn't place holding D-Linemen, he was better rushing from the inside.  Garrett was the star but Vernon was hurt and only showed up a few games, and Claiborn only showed up a few plays.  We upgraded so many positions this year it will be hard to tell what ends up helping the most but I do still feel like a run stuffing DT that keeps hands off the LB's will make a SIGNIFICANT difference in the run defense.  Hopefully the Corners safeties edge rushers and linebacker upgrades will make the difference we need in the pass defense.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 12:31 AM, NateDawg said:

I remember going to get some wings with my wife that draft night, and we took Shelton/Erving. Was my wife’s introduction to watching the NFL draft with me. The wings were definitely the best part of the night.

This is an outright LIE. You 100% got boneless wings.

Whipped GIF by memecandy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Really like Foskey.

In his second season for the Irish, Foskey stepped up to notch 4.5 sacks and five TFLs. The 6-5, 257-pound Californian has terrific speed and length. He’s hit 20.8 MPH on the GPS and has a blazing 10-yard split of 1.58 as well as an impressive 4.65 40.