College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

16 minutes ago, JDD said:

If Zach Harrison is drafted before the 4th round I'd be shocked. Dude has workout warrior all over him. If LJ can't get him to be one of the best DE in the country, he isn't going to be one in the NFL. I could be wrong because the physical side is there, the actual game play isn't. 

Yeah, looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. 

I don’t think he’s necessarily a bad player but for the athletic ability he has been gifted with, he has no pass rushing moves and doesn’t have the productivity to match. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah, looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. 

I don’t think he’s necessarily a bad player but for the athletic ability he has been gifted with, he has no pass rushing moves and doesn’t have the productivity to match. 

Yeah I really thought he was going to be the next top 5 pick at DE coming out of OSU. He had all the traits and size. Just doesn't seem to have that next level of play. Still a good player but not a game changer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I still don’t think they should tbh.

You can scheme a WR open, draft the positions that are harder to compensate for poor play with scheming in R1.

I disagree strongly.

The game is changing. Look at Dallas, Kansas City, and Tampa Bay. We’re probably the most outdated team in the NFL.

Edited by candyman93

The only argument I will listen to is adding another pass rusher over a WR. I don’t want to hear Browns fans bull**** about adding a linebacker, some run stuffing 3 tech who can’t rush the passer, offensive linemen or safety like we do every year and wonder why we struggle scoring over 20 points a game.

You need to be able to:

1. Pass the ball.

2. Defend the pass (via pass rush or all time great CBs).

Edited by candyman93

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I disagree strongly.

The game is changing. Look at Dallas, Kansas City, and Tampa Bay. We’re probably the most outdated team in the NFL.

Dallas is debatable I suppose, but the underlying theme there isn’t draft day investments at WR.

Kansas City spent a 5 on Kelce and Hill.  

Evans is a monster and if we get a shot at a dude like that then take him. Loved him when he came out.  That said, Godwin is a 3rd rounder, AB a FA, Gronk a FA (and likely only because of Brady.

Dallas, for all their picks spent at receiver, are still the number 2 rushing team behind us.  They’re not just airing it out.

10 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I disagree strongly.

I'd argue Tennessee as a better example. They have ARGUABLY the best running game in the league and are built to run, and yet they have a very dynamic duo at WR, who are also both VERY big bodied and major Red Zone threats.

That's how you build a smash mouth football team. Downfield passing attack with a smash mouth rushing attack and one that doesn't stall out in the Red Zone because no one can make a contested catch because they're too small.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The only argument I will listen to is adding another pass rusher over a WR. I don’t want to hear Browns fans bull**** about adding a linebacker, some run stuffing 3 tech who can’t rush the passer, offensive linemen or safety like we do every year and wonder why we struggle scoring over 20 points a game.

You need to be able to:

1. Pass the ball.

To me in the 1st, I want WR, DE depending on what they do with Clowney and Takk, and center depending if Tyler Linderbaum is there. If one of the top WRs arent there, and Linderbaum, I would want him

• Like 1

The only argument I will listen to is adding another pass rusher over a WR.

Yes.

I don’t want to hear Browns fans bull**** about adding a linebacker,

Not in the middle of R1, no.

some run stuffing 3 tech who can’t rush the passer,

That’s a day 3 pick.

offensive linemen

Hard disagree.

or safety

I mean, weve never actually drafted a S round one. 

like we do every year and wonder why we struggle scoring over 20 points a game.

We literally have more money spent on wide receivers than anyone in the league.

It’s not like they have ignored the position.

You need to be able to:

1. Pass the ball.

Sure.  And run the ball and stop the run.

I think DE/pass rusher, OT and CB are the hardest spots to fill.  If you don’t have the ability for players at those positions to succeed 1:1, you’re going to have to either scheme to help them which limits what you can do, or you’re going to have a bad time.

I absolutely think you can find nice receivers day 2 though.  I think that’s the sweet spot for that position.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'd argue Tennessee as a better example. They have ARGUABLY the best running game in the league and are built to run, and yet they have a very dynamic duo at WR, who are also both VERY big bodied and major Red Zone threats.

That's how you build a smash mouth football team. Downfield passing attack with a smash mouth rushing attack and one that doesn't stall out in the Red Zone because no one can make a contested catch because they're too small.

Especially when you have a QB who has a propensity to put the ball on a guy and let them win.

We need that 6’3+ dude who can make contested catches to add to DPJ on the outside and a slot dude with some speed AND ACTUAL WR SKILLS.  That could be done with day 2 and 3 picks tbh.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Especially when you have a QB who has a propensity to put the ball on a guy and let them win.

We need that 6’3+ dude who can make contested catches to add to DPJ on the outside and a slot dude with some speed AND ACTUAL WR SKILLS.  That could be done with day 2 and 3 picks tbh.

Maybe, it depends upon the value and who is there when we are picking. If we have the chance to draft a Julio Jones or Mike Evans in Round 1, we need to pull the trigger vs. rolling the dice on a "comparable guy" being there R2-R3 because of "positional value".

I wouldn't hate double dipping there, or even acquiring a solid and capable free agent, and rolling with those 2 plus DPJ and maybe bringing Jarvis back as your slot one last time next year.

That said, I'd tell Higgins to go away or stay for another $2 million deal as our 4th/5th guy, I'm obviously moving on from OBJ, and I'd even considering trading Hooper and eating a portion of his salary to get rid of him and then re-signing Njoku.

I'm all in on cutting bait with the dead weight. 

Jarvis has been highly productive here minus last week, Higgins is the definition of mediocre, and OBJ and Hooper are complete non factors on this team right now, so why keep running them out there?

Sell them for whatever you can and move on. Being married to a bad contract and not being willing to own it and move on is ludicrous IMO.

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Maybe, it depends upon the value and who is there when we are picking. If we have the chance to draft a Julio Jones or Mike Evans in Round 1, we need to pull the trigger vs. rolling the dice on a "comparable guy" being there R2-R3 because of "positional value".

Oh I agree 100%.  Any position is on the table if the right freak is there imo.

I wouldn't hate double dipping there, or even acquiring a solid and capable free agent, and rolling with those 2 plus DPJ and maybe bringing Jarvis back as your slot one last time next year.

Yeah, an establish vet would be nice.  Sutton would be nice if we moved on from Juice and Beckham and felt spendy.

That said, I'd tell Higgins to go away or stay for another $2 million deal as our 4th/5th guy, I'm obviously moving on from OBJ, and I'd even considering trading Hooper and eating a portion of his salary to get rid of him and then re-signing Njoku.

I like Higgins too as a 4/5.

I'm all in on cutting bait with the dead weight. 

Jarvis has been highly productive here minus last week, Higgins is the definition of mediocre, and OBJ and Hooper are complete non factors on this team right now, so why keep running them out there?

Sell them for whatever you can and move on. Being married to a bad contract and not being willing to own it and move on is ludicrous IMO.

Jarvis has been productive but his skill set is really limited for that kind of money.  He’s a slot only guy who can’t take the top off.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh I agree 100%.  Any position is on the table if the right freak is there imo.

Yeah, an establish vet would be nice.  Sutton would be nice if we moved on from Juice and Beckham and felt spendy.

Sutton, Robinson, or that .01% chance that you could get a guy like Godwin (slim to say the least) would be great.

I like Higgins too as a 4/5.

He can't beat man coverage but he finds ways to get open on 3rd downs because he's smart enough to find soft spots in zone coverage and has typically very good hands.

Jarvis has been productive but his skill set is really limited for that kind of money.  He’s a slot only guy who can’t take the top off.

I'd even contemplate re-working his contract and having him solely operate out of the slot. He's a good X-Factor type with ability in the intermediate game, to go with some shifty ability. He's not a high YAC guy (anymore) and not a Red Zone threat (anymore).

I'm adamant about reworking, trading, or outright cutting Hooper. His contract is an albatross and Njoku is better, younger, and has infinitely more potential.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'd even contemplate re-working his contract and having him solely operate out of the slot. He's a good X-Factor type with ability in the intermediate game, to go with some shifty ability. He's not a high YAC guy (anymore) and not a Red Zone threat (anymore).

yeah idk.  He’d have to be willing to drastically cut his pay for me. Like, by 2/3. 

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm adamant about reworking, trading, or outright cutting Hooper. His contract is an albatross and Njoku is better, younger, and has infinitely more potential.

He’d save us 9.5 million and cost 3.75 in dead cap as a post June 1st cut.

He’s either getting restructured or cut.