College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

We are going to spend one of our only two picks of any value on a 4th string player? I don't see it.

I don’t get the sense AB is approaching the draft (or has in a few years) looking to add pieces who are expected to be immediate contributors.

It’s one thing to expect a first rounder to play and contribute immediately, but later picks?  I’ve watched this fanbase make an *** of themselves for years with absurd expectations in that regard.  

I just think our 2024 picks are largely gonna be guys we’re looking at as contributors in 2025+.

Patrick Paul will be long gone. He's way too talented. If he were there, even though I don't want an OT, he would almost certainly be BPA & I couldn't argue that pick. I think he goes in the late 1st...maybe even a surprise teens pick. Amegadjie will be there and is a nice developable prospect. I wouldn't throw my remote through the TV, but I'd prefer to not draft an OT early simply because it's an area of great strength for us right now. And we are a "right now" team.

if we’re to believe we’re a Super Bowl contender now, a second round rookie shouldn’t  be moving the needle either way tbh.

Yeah, but we had three entrenched starters last year with JOK/Walker/Takitaki. We have two LB's worth rostering right now. That's it. Literally. And it's a terrible class with zero depth, so if we want one, we need to strike early.

There’s a lot of time to grab some meh dudes, which is all Schwartz seems to care about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

We are going to spend one of our only two picks of any value on a 4th string player? I don't see it.

Patrick Paul will be long gone. He's way too talented. If he were there, even though I don't want an OT, he would almost certainly be BPA & I couldn't argue that pick. I think he goes in the late 1st...maybe even a surprise teens pick. Amegadjie will be there and is a nice developable prospect. I wouldn't throw my remote through the TV, but I'd prefer to not draft an OT early simply because it's an area of great strength for us right now. And we are a "right now" team.

Yeah, but we had three entrenched starters last year with JOK/Walker/Takitaki. We have two LB's worth rostering right now. That's it. Literally. And it's a terrible class with zero depth, so if we want one, we need to strike early.

I get what you’re saying but the FO has a track record of using FA on team needs and the draft for projects. The OT class is too nice to not take those swings. I’m game for a LB but I don’t believe they function that way. We’ll see in April either way. 

46 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

And this is a guy who might be starting for us

Might isn’t gonna do it for me. Especially when any LB with a pulse WILL be playing for us. As a starter probably. I am more worried about the “now.” Because there is no tomorrow for this squad. We have this year….MAYBE next year, before we have to start rebuilding for the future.

46 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

We can't just think about this season.

I get that, but we’re pushing all of our cards to the front of the table. It’s time right now to build up the starting 22 (26ish guys) to be as strong as possible. We can’t predict the injury bug. Are we hurting if Wills gets hurt? Sure. Are we hurting if JOK goes down? Sure. I don’t like to predict injuries, especially after we just had a catastrophic slew of them that will be unlikely to ever happen again.

I love BPA when you are not sitting on a gold mine. I think we are on a gold mine, assuming Watson can do what he did in spots last year.

4 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

I get what you’re saying but the FO has a track record of using FA on team needs and the draft for projects. The OT class is too nice to not take those swings. I’m game for a LB but I don’t believe they function that way. We’ll see in April either way. 

I think we’re pretty much capped on FA. Doubt we bring in a starting OLB, which is a glaring need area. 

The RB class gets crazy hate this year but there are two late round workhorses I love: Kimani Vidal and Rasheen Ali are going to be great pieces on a RB by committee group. I’d take either of those guys to snag the Hunt role. 

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think we’re pretty much capped on FA. Doubt we bring in a starting OLB, which is a glaring need area. 

We’ve started Jacob Phillips, I think we can handle giving Tony Fields reps. 

47 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

if we’re to believe we’re a Super Bowl contender now, a second round rookie shouldn’t  be moving the needle either way tbh.

Plenty of 2nd round rookies make big impacts. We don’t even need a big impact rookie. We need a solid player. A C+ player is fine. Right now, we have nada.

2 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Plenty of 2nd round rookies make big impacts. We don’t even need a big impact rookie. We need a solid player. A C+ player is fine. Right now, we have nada.

I guess my larger point with some of this is if we’re presented with the opportunity to draft a potential starter at OT or WR or any other premium position we’re gonna take that guy over a LB even if the need is more for the LB.

We had JOK and a bunch or replacement level dudes last year.  That’s exactly what we’ll have this year. We just don’t know who they are yet.  

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We had JOK and a bunch or replacement level dudes

I don’t agree with this. We were awesome at LB when we were at full strength with JOK, Takitaki and Walker. Losing both is rough. I’m nervous because the LB class is incredibly thin and if we think we can wait to get a serviceable player, we are wrong. I truly think this is the worst LB class I have ever been around for. If we had retained Takitaki, it would have been an A++++ off-season. I think that one is gonna sting us. 

34 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I don’t agree with this. We were awesome at LB when we were at full strength with JOK, Takitaki and Walker. Losing both is rough. I’m nervous because the LB class is incredibly thin and if we think we can wait to get a serviceable player, we are wrong. I truly think this is the worst LB class I have ever been around for. If we had retained Takitaki, it would have been an A++++ off-season. I think that one is gonna sting us. 

I think Brooks is equal to or perhaps better than Takitaki, and I thought he played well.  

Right now we need a Walker replacement.  And while he played well, he was often injured and never what anyone would call irreplaceable.

I wouldn’t be totally stunned if Thomas or Diabate are able to step in a do a lot of the same things tbh. They’ve had a year in the system and should be able to contribute more.