College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Just knowing Berrys history-

He’s going to end up trading that 2nd rounder.

Buffalo is the team I’d keep an eye on.

just as long as he drafts a defensive player...

We are almost guaranteed to be taking a LB in the 2nd round. I feel like there's very little wiggle room for us to add any other position anyways.

I'd love to add a TE, but this class sucks outside of the man at the top. I am also not in any way opposed to taking a QB in this draft. I really like Rattler, if he were to slide a bit. I wouldn't hate drafting Penix if he slid to us in R2 either.

QB is the one thing that is preventing us from being considered a championship team. I still think Watson gets an INC grade for now, but I'm concerned enough to start considering a backup plan. And adding a thug who throws INT's like it's his job as the backup doesn't inspire confidence.

6 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

We are almost guaranteed to be taking a LB in the 2nd round. I feel like there's very little wiggle room for us to add any other position anyways.

I'd love to add a TE, but this class sucks outside of the man at the top. I am also not in any way opposed to taking a QB in this draft. I really like Rattler, if he were to slide a bit. I wouldn't hate drafting Penix if he slid to us in R2 either.

QB is the one thing that is preventing us from being considered a championship team. I still think Watson gets an INC grade for now, but I'm concerned enough to start considering a backup plan. And adding a thug who throws INT's like it's his job as the backup doesn't inspire confidence.

I think taking a RB is a good possibility.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I think taking a RB is a good possibility.

Maybe. I think this class is meh for RB's too. I like Brooks a lot, but he's coming off a major injury. I think Corum is going to be good. I like Trey Benson's physical profile, but I am not a big fan of his mental game/vision.

Corum reminds me of Mark Ingram with how he runs and with what I think he will be in the NFL. He's probably the only dude I wouldn't be mad with in the 2nd round, even though I'd prefer not to use our 1st pick on a depth piece when we have some pretty unnerving holes in our LB group.

#54 is going to be an offensive tackle. They’ll sit somebody behind Wills for the year. 

The pick is going to be Patrick Paul out of Houston or Kiran Amegadjie from Yale as long as a top LT prospect doesn’t fall. 

We get caught in the same trap year after year of needing a LB and not taking one. At a certain point we need to get hip to the fact that this FO doesn’t draft linebackers high unless they’re BPA like JOK. 

I could see a guy like Trevon Wallace or Jeremiah Trotter Jr in round 3 or a Tatum Bethune or Ty’ron Hopper late but  I don’t think a linebacker goes at #54. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I could see us taking a LB in the draft, but I have a hard time believing unless there is someone very special who falls out of the first round like JOK (and this class doesn't have that) that we would consider LB this high.

We are already spending 4 million a year on Hicks and probably soon 10 million a year on JOK.  I can't see them committing that many high assets to the LB room.

I suspect we are looking more at WR (our 3 starters are free agents after this year) or OT (our starting LT is a free agent after this year).  That is also where this draft is particularly talented and deep.  I could see a great player (possibly 1st round talent) fall at those positions.

39 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

#54 is going to be an offensive tackle. They’ll sit somebody behind Wills for the year. 

Gun to my head this is my guess as well.

The pick is going to be Patrick Paul out of Houston or Kiran Amegadjie from Yale as long as a top LT prospect doesn’t fall. 

Paul is a favorite of mine as of now.

We get caught in the same trap year after year of needing a LB and not taking one. At a certain point we need to get hip to the fact that this FO doesn’t draft linebackers high unless they’re BPA like JOK. 

Schwartz also isn’t a fan as, iirc, he stated he doesn’t really ask them to do a lot in his scheme.

I could see a guy like Trevon Wallace or Jeremiah Trotter Jr in round 3 or a Tatum Bethune or Ty’ron Hopper late but  I don’t think a linebacker goes at #54. 

At this point I don’t expect us to pick at 54 tbh.  I can see wanting more than 6 picks.

if someone unexpected is there, maybe, but unless they make another trade before the draft for more picks I think moving down is a strong possibility.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I could see us taking a LB in the draft, but I have a hard time believing unless there is someone very special who falls out of the first round like JOK (and this class doesn't have that) that we would consider LB this high.

There are no special LB's in this class. As of right now, we have 3 LB's on our entire roster. We will carry at least 6...probably more like 7.

WLB: ?/?
MLB: Hicks/?/?
SLB: JOK/Diabate

It's likely we:
1. Draft a starting WLB
2. Sign a backup MLB
3. Sign two UDFA's

There are some solid LB's in this draft, but they will dry up faster than a 90 year old woman. We can't wait if we are drafting someone to start for us. There are like 4 LB's in this entire class that I think can be starters and like...two that can be depth. It's dreadful. If one of Payton Wilson or Cedric Gray slides to us in the 2nd, they should be the selection. Edgerin Cooper is very intriguing as well, but is likely going to be gone. Junior Colson might be our best pure fit at WLB. I like him a lot, but he's gotta come off the field on passing downs. He's clunky and doesn't know how to look for work in pass drops despite being a fantastic athlete. He could be had in R2. Then there's Jeremiah Trotter, who is overrated based on name value. He's a thumping ILB, but lacks athleticism to play sideline to sideline. He's not really a fit in our man-heavy scheme or in today's modern NFL game. The names in this paragraph are the only day 1 starters on the list.

James Williams (Miami) and Marist Liufao (Notre Dame) intrigue me quite a bit, but they aren't really starter-ready right now. Especially Williams, who would be undergoing a positional change. He wasn't a roll down safety at Miami--he was playing in a cover 2 shell, so his role in the NFL would be vastly different and a complete projection. Edefuan Ulofoshio looked awesome at the combine, but I've not evaluated him aside from his combine drill work, which was probably the best out of the LB's in my opinion. Maybe not pure numbers, but the way he moved in drills in LB-specific stuff was excellent. People relaly like Trevin Wallace too, but he's really small and plays to his size. I comped him to Khaleke Hudson, even though Hudson was a S in college. Great movement skills, but can't play in the box.

Outside of those names...it's disgusting. And none of those guys named are great prospects...they're simply solid ones. If we can snag Wilson/Gray/Colson early, I'll be very happy. James Williams fits our profiles as a later round pick as someone that could play SAM/STAR, but I wouldn't count on him being a day 1 starter. 

51 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

We are going to spend one of our only two picks of any value on a 4th string player? I don't see it.

Patrick Paul will be long gone. He's way too talented. If he were there, even though I don't want an OT, he would almost certainly be BPA & I couldn't argue that pick. I think he goes in the late 1st...maybe even a surprise teens pick. Amegadjie will be there and is a nice developable prospect. I wouldn't throw my remote through the TV, but I'd prefer to not draft an OT early simply because it's an area of great strength for us right now. And we are a "right now" team.

Yeah, but we had three entrenched starters last year with JOK/Walker/Takitaki. We have two LB's worth rostering right now. That's it. Literally. And it's a terrible class with zero depth, so if we want one, we need to strike early.

There are no special LB's in this class. As of right now, we have 3 LB's on our entire roster. We will carry at least 6...probably more like 7.

WLB: ?/?
MLB: Hicks/?/?
SLB: JOK/Diabate

It's likely we:
1. Draft a starting WLB
2. Sign a backup MLB
3. Sign two UDFA's

There are some solid LB's in this draft, but they will dry up faster than a 90 year old woman. We can't wait if we are drafting someone to start for us. There are like 4 LB's in this entire class that I think can be starters and like...two that can be depth. It's dreadful. If one of Payton Wilson or Cedric Gray slides to us in the 2nd, they should be the selection. Edgerin Cooper is very intriguing as well, but is likely going to be gone. Junior Colson might be our best pure fit at WLB. I like him a lot, but he's gotta come off the field on passing downs. He's clunky and doesn't know how to look for work in pass drops despite being a fantastic athlete. He could be had in R2. Then there's Jeremiah Trotter, who is overrated based on name value. He's a thumping ILB, but lacks athleticism to play sideline to sideline. He's not really a fit in our man-heavy scheme or in today's modern NFL game. The names in this paragraph are the only day 1 starters on the list.

James Williams (Miami) and Marist Liufao (Notre Dame) intrigue me quite a bit, but they aren't really starter-ready right now. Especially Williams, who would be undergoing a positional change. He wasn't a roll down safety at Miami--he was playing in a cover 2 shell, so his role in the NFL would be vastly different and a complete projection. Edefuan Ulofoshio looked awesome at the combine, but I've not evaluated him aside from his combine drill work, which was probably the best out of the LB's in my opinion. Maybe not pure numbers, but the way he moved in drills in LB-specific stuff was excellent. People relaly like Trevin Wallace too, but he's really small and plays to his size. I comped him to Khaleke Hudson, even though Hudson was a S in college. Great movement skills, but can't play in the box.

Outside of those names...it's disgusting. And none of those guys named are great prospects...they're simply solid ones. If we can snag Wilson/Gray/Colson early, I'll be very happy. James Williams fits our profiles as a later round pick as someone that could play SAM/STAR, but I wouldn't count on him being a day 1 starter. 

Hey hey hey, don't forget about the great Tony Fields II.

Though I agree with you, we are limited at the position at the moment, but I don't think that forces them to use a 2nd round pick on one.  That's forcing a need into a draft slot and that's just not how this front office operates.

Only once did we really draft for need and that was in 2020 when the team first took over.

Ever since then we have focused much more on positional value and player value in the draft.

I see us drafting a LB, just on at pick 54, and maybe even not at 86.

This front office just hasn't spent high assets at the position, and I don't expect them to start now.

We will sign one more in free agency to cover our main 3 players (I have heard Perryman, they are visiting with Devin Bush), we are probably playing 90% of the time with only 2 on the field which is why we don't NEED 6-7.  Those spots are going to be mostly for special teams if we have them.

JOK, Hicks, FA, Fields, Diabate, late draft pick will probably round out our roster in the LB room.

We are going to spend one of our only two picks of any value on a 4th string player? I don't see it.

We can't look at it like we are are bring in a 4th string player.  Did you see what happened to our O-Line last year?  And this is a guy who might be starting for us at Watsons blind side next year.  Its so much more important than a 4th string player.

I'd prefer to not draft an OT early simply because it's an area of great strength for us right now. And we are a "right now" team.

It's also an area of great weakness for us next year or if the LT gets injured like he has every year.  Its also an area of great weakness for us next year.  We can't just think about this season.

Yeah, but we had three entrenched starters last year with JOK/Walker/Takitaki. We have two LB's worth rostering right now. That's it. Literally. And it's a terrible class with zero depth, so if we want one, we need to strike early.

And how many linebackers did we have worth rostering last year?  Because after JOK/Walker/Takitaki we had the same backups.  Adams was just a ST player.  We had Diabate on the team.  Kunaszyk was hurt most of the year and bad when he played.  Fields was on the team.

We are going to have JOK/Hicks/FA we will sign shortly as our intrenched players.  We will be fine at LB.