College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

So what LSU defensive player(s) is Cleveland drafting? I’m thinking Jabril Cox and / or Jacoby Stevens.

I’m kinda joking, but there is a methodology behind why we like drafting and trading for guys from Alabama and LSU.

why LSU's defense was horrible this year. Need to start drafting those OSU guys as well

22 minutes ago, buno67 said:

why LSU's defense was horrible this year. Need to start drafting those OSU guys as well

I blame Bo Pelini and the massive changes the entire program when through.

Also, I am genuinely starting to believe playing in the SEC gets you more prepared for the NFL. That’s not me saying the SEC is that far superior to everybody else.

Edited by candyman93

29 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I blame Bo Pelini and the massive changes the entire program when through.

Also, I am genuinely starting to believe playing in the SEC gets you more prepared for the NFL. That’s not me saying the SEC is that far superior to everybody else.

Its not even that, its just drafting guys from top programs. Its not like Arky, Tennesse, Vandy, and etc are cranking out NFL players. Occasionally they will produce a top tier player but nothing yearly. Its about the program and the location. Southern states are going to produce more talent and that talent usually goes to Bama/Florida/LSU. I just think its not about drafting from the SEC. Its about drafting just from top tier programs that are landing the top tier recruits and have the top tier coaching to develop said guys. Bama has been the perfect storm since Saban took over

Its like early 00s, you couldnt go wrong drafting from FSU or Miami

late '00s, you couldnt go wrong drafting from Texas and USC

Seems like in the '10s you couldnt go wrong drafting from Bama and Ohio State

21 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Its not even that, its just drafting guys from top programs. Its not like Arky, Tennesse, Vandy, and etc are cranking out NFL players. Occasionally they will produce a top tier player but nothing yearly. Its about the program and the location. Southern states are going to produce more talent and that talent usually goes to Bama/Florida/LSU. I just think its not about drafting from the SEC. Its about drafting just from top tier programs that are landing the top tier recruits and have the top tier coaching to develop said guys. Bama has been the perfect storm since Saban took over

Its like early 00s, you couldnt go wrong drafting from FSU or Miami

late '00s, you couldnt go wrong drafting from Texas and USC

Seems like in the '10s you couldnt go wrong drafting from Bama and Ohio State

That’s an accurate assessment. Obviously OSU produces NFL talent.

However, I’d generally prefer kids from Alabama. They compete against kids from those other schools you mentioned in Georgia, Florida, and LSU. Schools that consistently produce fantastic nfl players. Part of it is the talent they get from southern states like you said. Another part is that you get to see how NFL talent competes against NFL talent. Then let’s be honest, those kids are jut there for the NFL. They don’t have academic standards. All they need to be educated on, is how to sign their signatures.

OSU, Clemson, and Alabama are on the same tier. The difference comes from the massive gap between Florida, LSU, and Georgia vs Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Also, I’m not going to pretend scouting is an exact science either. Justin Herbert is a monster, but was drafted after Burrow and Tua.

Definitely not an exact science, but I think it’s as much the circumstances the player is put in organizationally when they’re drafted as it is the player in most cases.

Scheme fit, stability at the top with coaching/FO, talent around them, etc.

I don’t think teams like the Steelers and Ravens were head and shoulders better than previous Browns front offices at identifying talent.  I think they were light years ahead of them in understanding how to develop talent they drafted.  Or at least given the opportunity to do so by ownership.

Some schools also do better jobs at producing talent at some positions due to scheme and coaching. For example, with Coombs and Johnson, I love OSU DB and DL. With Saban, I love Alabama interior DL, LB, and S. With Clemson, it’s hard to go wrong with a quarterback (Lawrence and Watson) or wide receiver.

I also generally believe in Bama and OSU OL, LSU defensive players, Georgia RB, Iowa/Wisconsin OL, Iowa and Stanford TE, etc.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Some schools also do better jobs at producing talent at some positions due to scheme and coaching. For example, with Coombs and Johnson, I love OSU DB and DL. With Saban, I love Alabama interior DL, LB, and S. With Clemson, it’s hard to go wrong with a quarterback (Lawrence and Watson) or wide receiver.

I also generally believe in Bama and OSU OL, LSU defensive players, Georgia RB, Iowa/Wisconsin OL, Iowa and Stanford TE, etc.

I’d also draft a ND OL in a heartbeat, and occasionally OU has some skill players and OL that make for very good prospects as well.

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I want Nick Bolton in the 1st round. 2 time all SEC first teamer at LB? Sign me up. Would love him + Dare Odeyingbo of Vanderbilt with our first 2 picks.

Eric Stokes of Georgia is a stud too at CB.

Stokes is really good. He’s probably gonna test poorly, but I think he still might be my favorite CB in the class. I have him rated only behind Surtain, Farley, and Wade. And I feel like he’s better than those guys...he just doesn’t have the physical upside of that group.

Bolton would be good. He’s another guy that lacks physical tools, but his reads are super clean. He would definitely help us in a defensive unit full of gutless special ed players.