Why are the Eagles so underrated?

TheRealMcCoy

I just want to hear varying viewpoints from fans of other teams. Sometimes I’ll see us ranked in the top 10 in power rankings but usually I see us at like 11-16.

If this Eagles team can manage to stay healthy, then I think they can definitely compete with any team in the NFC. We aren’t without our questions, but it’s amazing to me how our receivers keep getting brought up but nobody talks about the Cowboys secondary that much at least in the media. Like our receivers are being a bit underrated and we have an ascending RB and arguably the best TE duo.

I think this team is much more talented than given credit at least starters wise. Our special teams looks to be significantly improved, as is our d-line with Malik Jackson who we signed last year to a big deal and got hurt week 1 and Javon Hargrave who we added last year.

I’m open to opposing viewpoints cause we are far from a perfect team, but when I see Peter King listing the Cowboys as the 1 seed and Eagles not even in the top 7 it just makes me scratch my head.

Discuss.

Like 2018 the year after we won the Super Bowl we still managed to get to the playoffs being the most banged up team in the league finishing 32nd in FootballOutsiders’ Adjusted Games Lost stat and we managed to beat the Bears who had a pretty amazing defense and also gave the Saints some trouble in the divisional round and again this was without our starting QB.

In 2019 our secondary was pretty crap and we had so many injuries at receiver it was basically all practice squad guys and we still managed to scrap by and beat the Cowboys out to make the playoffs which we had no business doing and if not for Wentz going down after a few plays due to what I’d classify as dirty hit we probably could have beat Seattle, but we’ll never know now.

Doug Pederson hasn’t had it easy since the Super Bowl. Nor has Carson Wentz. I feel like both of them are underrated, especially Doug Pederson. He isn’t talked about in the same breath as McVay, Shanahan, Payton, and so on......which is crazy to me.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Are we talking this season? 

What's considered underrated? I mean, you can easily make legitimate cases for 49ers, cowboys, saints and tampa over them to start with and teams like the vikings or packers being comparable. And that's just the NFC. 

Chiefs & Baltimore would definitely be ranked ahead of them in the AFC, and you can make the case for a number of teams being on equal footing. 

They are already hurting and injured, so saying "if they stay healthy" is kind of a big question. So its really just a matter of preference. That's why it's silly to get lost in exact numbers lines as opposed to tiers.  You could rate the Eagles #12 but have them as a comparable team to someone like the Vikings who a person may have ranked #9 

I don't know how anyone is super shocked if the playoffs looks something like (no particular order)

1. 49ers
  2. Saints
  3. Cowboys
  4. Vikings
  5. Packers
  6. Rams
  7. Bucs

Just now, Forge said:

Are we talking this season? 

Yes, this season.

Just now, Forge said:

What's considered underrated? 

Not being ranked as a playoff team or barely making the playoffs.

Anything from 6-10 to 8-8 is underrating us I think. If we get banged up 9-7 might be the end result again.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

They are already hurting and injured, so saying "if they stay healthy" is kind of a big question. 

Our past history with injuries the past seasons is the only reason I could see doubting this team and also depth at a few spots like outside corner and o-line.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know how anyone is super shocked if the playoffs looks something like (no particular order)

Shocked? Maybe not. But, I think we have the QB, coach, and overall roster talent to be a top 3 NFC team for sure.

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

Shocked? Maybe not. But, I think we have the QB, coach, and overall roster talent to be a top 3 NFC team for sure.

But if you can make that argument for the Eagles, you can legitimately make this argument about like 6 teams in the NFC. 49ers, Saints, Bucs, Cowboys, Eagles. Hell, the Rams even. I don't know why the Vikings can't finish in the top 3. I'm down on the Packers, but the team did have a successful year last year. I don't think that they got much better unless young guys step up, but I'm not really sure that they got worse either. 

Just now, Calamity_Cometh said:

They have a massive fan base here and we hear a lot about how bad their secondary and receivers are from them. I  don't disagree with them but hearing that news, I tend to believe it.

You might not be listening to the smartest Eagles fans.

Our secondary isn't really that bad. It's been much worse previous seasons. Nickel Robey-Coleman has looked great in the slot which isn't really news. Darius Slay is probably still a top 5 cornerback and should look better in Philly with our DL providing him with more of a pass rush. Avonte Maddox has looked sticky in coverage as the CB2. Jalen Mills has looked good in camp (we'll see what happens in live games) with the move to safety... as has Rodney McLeod who took over for Jenkins as the leader for the secondary.

All of our rookie receivers had pretty good camps, especially Jalen Reagor. DeSean Jackson looked great and just where he left off in the Washington game week 1 last year when he went for 154 yards and 2 TDs in his only healthy game with Wentz. We'll see if he can stay healthy. Arcega-Whiteside looked better this camp and came in like 8-10 lbs lighter and looked quicker from all reports. He could bounce back and provide something as a big bodied target. Greg Ward was our best receiver down the stretch last year which isn't saying a lot, but he has reliable hands and can get open on shorter routes in the slot. Alshon Jeffery isn't ready yet, but he's ahead of schedule from his Lisfranc injury last year. He could be back in September, but I'm not expecting him till October, just because we have said we want to be cautious with him. Anything we get from a motivated Jeffery is just icing on the cake to me though. I'm not gonna get my hopes up with him till he proves he can contribute off the injury.

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

But if you can make that argument for the Eagles, you can legitimately make this argument about like 6 teams in the NFC. 49ers, Saints, Bucs, Cowboys, Eagles. Hell, the Rams even. I don't know why the Vikings can't finish in the top 3. I'm down on the Packers, but the team did have a successful year last year. I don't think that they got much better unless young guys step up, but I'm not really sure that they got worse either. 

Yeah, but those teams have all been talked about as like top 3-8 teams in the NFL pretty consistently.

We have been talked about as more like average to somewhat above average. 

That is the difference.

Like to me the Cowboys, Packers, and Bucs are overrated.

I think the Saints and 49ers are very good, but wouldn't shock me if they regressed from their 13 wins last year.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

You might not be listening to the smartest Eagles fans.

Our secondary isn't really that bad. It's been much worse previous seasons. Nickel Robey-Coleman has looked great in the slot which isn't really news. Darius Slay is probably still a top 5 cornerback and should look better in Philly with our DL providing him with more of a pass rush. Avonte Maddox has looked sticky in coverage as the CB2. Jalen Mills has looked good in camp (we'll see what happens in live games) with the move to safety... as has Rodney McLeod who took over for Jenkins as the leader for the secondary.

All of our rookie receivers had pretty good camps, especially Jalen Reagor. DeSean Jackson looked great and just where he left off in the Washington game week 1 last year when he went for 154 yards and 2 TDs in his only healthy game with Wentz. We'll see if he can stay healthy. Arcega-Whiteside looked better this camp and came in like 8-10 lbs lighter and looked quicker from all reports. He could bounce back and provide something as a big bodied target. Greg Ward was our best receiver down the stretch last year which isn't saying a lot, but he has reliable hands and can get open on shorter routes in the slot. Alshon Jeffery isn't ready yet, but he's ahead of schedule from his Lisfranc injury last year. He could be back in September, but I'm not expecting him till October, just because we have said we want to be cautious with him. Anything we get from a motivated Jeffery is just icing on the cake to me though. I'm not gonna get my hopes up with him till he proves he can contribute off the injury.

I was referring to the teams 2017 to 2019. Not recent transactions.  And I'm no Eagles hater. I took our 50 point beat down in 2017 with a smile, considered Wentz the MVP, and enjoy sharing membership in the "Eliminated the GOAT from the postseason" club with them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Fair enough, but I think its a little over blown. He's played 16 games in 2 of his 4 seasons and played 11 and 13 in the other 2 seasons.

Perhaps, but perception is literally everything when it comes to "underrating" them.

Wentz when healthy is a top 5-7 QB. But perception is that he's not healthy enough, and most people won't give a second's thought to a team starting their backup QB.

1 minute ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

I was referring to the teams 2017 to 2019. Not recent transactions.  And I'm no Eagles hater. I took our 50 point beat down in 2017 with a smile, considered Wentz the MVP, and enjoy sharing membership in the "Eliminated the GOAT from the postseason" club with them.

Ah thanks for the clarification.

I didn't get that from reading your response.

But, yes we have been pretty bad at receiver and secondary the past couple years.

I'm hoping guys stay healthy so we can have more talent on the outside than we've had in the past.