Why are the Eagles so underrated?

TheRealMcCoy

They're a pretty good football team. They're regarded as a pretty good football team. Not sure why you think they're underrated. They went 9-7 last year with a pretty easy schedule. Didn't really underachieve or overachieve, based on expected wins. Beat a few teams that were better than them (Buffalo, Green Bay), but lost to a couple bad teams as well (Miami, NYJ.) Otherwise they mostly gained wins within the division, and lost to the better teams of the NFC. They had pretty average injury luck. Some additions, some losses. But nothing hugely needle moving overall, for me. There's really no obvious thing to point to that says they should be way better than last year, or anything. So them being ranked by most around where they ended last year is fitting, IMO. Fringe playoff team. Not great, not bad. 

• Like 3

2017 was kind of a series of miracles.

Look at the under the radar free agents that absolutely went off for them.

Jeffrey was actually healthy,

I love my Eagles but they are a football team in a blender. There is no reason to rate them highly until we see what the ones who are left can do.

7.   Cowboys 8-8 The Cowboys overhauled their two greatest issues this off-season: Kicker and coaching staff. There were some key departures in guys like Robert Quinn, Byron Jones, and Fredbeard the Conqueror, but they at least have a plan that's good on paper to address all that. If it all works out, the sky's the limit.
14.   Eagles 9-7 The Eagles entered the off-season needing to address both their secondary and receiving corp, both of which were at or near worst in the NFL last year. Major upgrades were made across both units, and the Eagles fanbase is hopeful this year won't be a repeat of last, especially with the NFC East in dismal shape. Everything is predicated on Carson Wentz now, who needs a healthy year to detract naysayers.

^^^ to low, imo. But thats still playoffs this year^^^^

27.   Giants 4-12 It can be a slippery slope trying to emulate Bill Belichick. Rookie HC Joe Judge, though, seems to have taken command of this Giants team while still having fun and caring about the players. While nothing earns fan adoration quite like winning football games, most Giants fan would agree this year that seeing second-year passer Danny Dimes take strides forward is enough to get excited about. The G-Men face a tough schedule all year, but week 1 may prove to be especially daunting. The Steelers were a defensive monster in 2019 that dragged Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges kicking and screaming to an 8-8 record. With Big Ben back at the helm, Monday night will prove to be a serious challenge for a Giants team with new faces on both sides of the ball.
31.   Washington FT 3-13 After a smooth and mostly quiet off-season with very little fuss or drama, The Red- I mean Football Team will finally take the field. With a new coach, Head Coach having named their starting quarterback, Quarterback and their number two draft choice, Defensive End we’re ready to see what Football Team looks like.

NFL.com Rankins

ESPN Rankings

CBS Rankings

They're not. They aren't in the group of teams that look like a slam dunk to make the playoffs and contend for a SB. They're in the next tier of teams that could make the playoffs and potentially contend for it all if they get hot at the right time.

• Like 1

I don't think we're underrated, Cowboys are just being overrated which in turn makes our ranking seem off since we are in same division and coming off the better record. Cowboys are always overrated though in the preseason, assuming they showed any glimmer in the prior season.

IF we were fully healthy I'd agree that we should be top 8, but we lost our all-pro guard and our starting tackle already, not to mention our lead back and biggest FA signing won't be around to start the season. Talks of Wentz being hurt, which even though it was completely minor is gonna get people thinking when he's earned himself the injury prone rep.

I see 9 to 11 wins, and that's assuming from here on out and we can at least be league average in the injury department. Our schedule is brutal. So 9-14 range seems fair.

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

They're not. They aren't in the group of teams that look like a slam dunk to make the playoffs and contend for a SB. They're in the next tier of teams that could make the playoffs and potentially contend for it all if they get hot at the right time.

At our best we are better than teams like this at their best: the Rams, Vikings, Bucs, Patriots, Bills, Seahawks Packers, Steelers, Titans, etc

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

This is the ESPN Rankings I saw.

This is what they say about it:

How we rank in our Power Rankings: Our power panel -- a group of more than 80 writers, editors and TV personalities -- evaluates how teams stack up throughout the season.

The one you posted is from ESPN's Football Power Index. Not sure what goes into that.... but yeah.

Clearly the analytics are more objective and view this Eagles team more accurately than the regular media person does.

Cowboys 5th and Eagles 6th sounds about right. At full strength both our teams are likely top 5.

That wasn't my gripe though. My gripe is most places have us outside the top 10 and not even making the playoffs sometimes which with 7 teams this year is ridiculous.

9 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

At our best we are better than teams like this at their best: the Rams, Vikings, Bucs, Patriots, Bills, Seahawks Packers, Steelers, Titans, etc

I don't know about all that I watch a lot of Eagles football and they were very inconsistent last year.

I think a team like tennessee gets underrated more than them. At Tennessees best they beat Mahomes in the regular season, Baltimore in the post season, and ended Tom Brady's dynasty.

The Eagles beat an overrated NFC team with backups to backups but then the biggest fear happened against seattle.

16 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I'm not at all sold that you're better than half those teams at their best. It's a coin flip game.

I’ve got Wentz, Sanders, and Philly D, I think they are gonna have a solid year. Although I’ll be alternating Wentz and Rodgers about half the time. 

I mean the Eagles are always a tough team to predict for me. They could be 8-8 pretty easily. They could be a 10-6 wildcard pretty easily. They could be a 12-4 Top 2 seed pretty easily. I’d give all of those a 33% chance. 

But anyways, good luck this year Eagle fans. Looks like a solid squad. 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not at all sold that you're better than half those teams at their best. It's a coin flip game.

I watched them lose too the Vikings last year lol they have a top 5 ball control offense when running on all cylinders, but I believe their line is starting to decline unless their dline is just gonna dominate this year.