2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

12 hours ago, Heymangold said:

So you’re ok with Sam doing Sam, getting us maybe 4-6 wins and probably being in the same situation again, needing a QB, but drafting somewhere around 10-15.  And then your options are paying Sam a big contract or what?

Why would the Jets pay Sam a big contract in your scenario? If we are drafting around 10-15, then likely Sam had another disappointing year.

And an option at QB if we don't draft a QB is Matthew Stafford. He will be available this off-season or the next.

Edited by Jetfan66

39 minutes ago, Jetfan66 said:

Why would the Jets pay Sam a big contract in your scenario? If we are drafting around 10-15, then likely Sam had another disappointing year.

And an option at QB if we don't draft a QB is Matthew Stafford. He will be available this off-season or the next.

So we’re in the hole for at least another 2 years waiting for the ultimate prize of a then 35 year old Matt Stafford?  

Stop messing around and just draft Fields or Wilson.

I still hear about how Arthur Smith fixed Ryan Tannehill in the post-Gase sage.  If you want Smith badly then you need other reasons than that because it isn't simply true.

Smith ran the same system as Mike LaFleur because he liked his philosophy.  Marcus Mariota played full season under LaFleur and continued starting for Smith in the following season. Smith and Mariota had struggled prior to Tannehill stepped in.    It was Tannehill that helped Smith look better as OC. Not other around.  Tannehill was his game manager to start off and he become more valuable as a passer afterward.   It is an excellent marriage between Smith and Tannehill.    Do we know for sure that Smith is capable of practicing bigamy as Tannehill endured the Gase system better than Darnold does?

Probably it is a moot point because we want new qb but we don't know about JD's plan with Darnold.   Whether or not it is true, Darnold was JD's top graded qb when he was with Eagles.  JD also spoke highly of Robby Anderson but he let him go due to budget concern.   Who knows.

6 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I still hear about how Arthur Smith fixed Ryan Tannehill in the post-Gase sage.  If you want Smith badly then you need other reasons than that because it isn't simply true.

Smith ran the same system as Mike LaFleur because he liked his philosophy.  Marcus Mariota played full season under LaFleur and continued starting for Smith in the following season. Smith and Mariota had struggled prior to Tannehill stepped in.    It was Tannehill that helped Smith look better as OC. Not other around.  Tannehill was his game manager to start off and he become more valuable as a passer afterward.   It is an excellent marriage between Smith and Tannehill.    Do we know for sure that Smith is capable of practicing bigamy as Tannehill endured the Gase system better than Darnold does?

Probably it is a moot point because we want new qb but we don't know about JD's plan with Darnold.   Whether or not it is true, Darnold was JD's top graded qb when he was with Eagles.  JD also spoke highly of Robby Anderson but he let him go due to budget concern.   Who knows.

How about that Tenn. has the highest point total in the league prior to last night (31).  They now sit at 3 (30 per game).  They are second in rushing yds. per game and 4th in total yards per game.  Since Vrable is a defensive HC (but he really is more CEO type), that means Smith is designing this offense to be at its best.  He is not a puppet OC.

Does this mean Art Smith is going to be a great HC, who knows?  But for some who are gushing about Brady, where does Carolina sit in offensive production?  Bieniemy may or may not be good, but who is designing KC's O, Reid or Bieniemy?  If we are going with an offensive HC, Smith should be at the top.

31 minutes ago, xrade said:

How about that Tenn. has the highest point total in the league prior to last night (31).  They now sit at 3 (30 per game).  They are second in rushing yds. per game and 4th in total yards per game.  Since Vrable is a defensive HC (but he really is more CEO type), that means Smith is designing this offense to be at its best.  He is not a puppet OC.

Does this mean Art Smith is going to be a great HC, who knows?  But for some who are gushing about Brady, where does Carolina sit in offensive production?  Bieniemy may or may not be good, but who is designing KC's O, Reid or Bieniemy?  If we are going with an offensive HC, Smith should be at the top.

Once again it’s what he has working with Tannehill. Henry as an elite RB. And 2 very good WR options is Brown and Davis with Smith at TE.

You need the players to make a system work. Smith’s system would be a shell of what it is in Tennessee here. Bc we don’t have those players mentioned above.

Now if we can add talent to go along with a talented HC and system. That’s where we can compare. But if we don’t address offense from the OL, RB, WR and TE positions. It doesn’t matter what systems or QB we have.

Don’t know how reliable uStadium is but they’re saying Gase is gone Monday, there’s no decision on Darnold yet and the New HC will have a lot of say in the situation, and JD is leading the interview process with CJ sitting in but Douglas has final say on hire apparently 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Once again it’s what he has working with Tannehill. Henry as an elite RB. And 2 very good WR options is Brown and Davis with Smith at TE.

You need the players to make a system work. Smith’s system would be a shell of what it is in Tennessee here. Bc we don’t have those players mentioned above.

Now if we can add talent to go along with a talented HC and system. That’s where we can compare. But if we don’t address offense from the OL, RB, WR and TE positions. It doesn’t matter what systems or QB we have.

I was responding to the " If you want Smith badly then you need other reasons than that because it isn't simply true" part.  Yes, Henry is elite because they have an elite run blocking OL.  Yes they have better WR than the Jets.  Yes, much of that will be addressed this off season.  My point still stands, if we are looking for an NFL OC to be HC, Smith's name should be at the top.

13 minutes ago, xrade said:

I was responding to the " If you want Smith badly then you need other reasons than that because it isn't simply true" part.  Yes, Henry is elite because they have an elite run blocking OL.  Yes they have better WR than the Jets.  Yes, much of that will be addressed this off season.  My point still stands, if we are looking for an NFL OC to be HC, Smith's name should be at the top.

I agree Smiths name should be in the mix. But I still stand by my point. And TEN doesn’t have an elite OL. They’ve played the whole year without there 2 best OLineman from last year (Conklin, Lewan). 

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

Don’t know how reliable uStadium is but they’re saying Gase is gone Monday, there’s no decision on Darnold yet and the New HC will have a lot of say in the situation, and JD is leading the interview process with CJ sitting in but Douglas has final say on hire apparently 

Ustadium is pretty good. I follow them on twitter. I actually believe this because I think it's the only way we could have landed someone like JD. Him coming in attached to Gase or forced to work with who the Johnsons select wouldn't be appealing for someone who has options. 

2 hours ago, xrade said:

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

No matter who is new HC of Jets, he still needs good pieces to win games so we can't dismiss Smith because he has coached more talented unit than Jets.

Smith is laid back dude who likes to work with people and doesn't oversell his success. Player relationship is good. Utilizing talents to convert important downs should be solid by standard. Leadership remains unseen because he has been in Nashville too long for NFL people to get familiar with him.

I am not sure about how much will Smith input in for his full team roster but JD should be familiar with Shanahan/smashmouth concepts. It will be interesting to see what defense Jets will be.  Go with veteran coach like Marvin Lewis, Raheem Morris, Lovie Smith or something like that. Perhaps?

Also, I almost would expect Smith will want his mentor Mike Mularkey to be his a special advisor. He needs someone with full experience at HC to ease him into a full time HC (experience not title).

I'm trying to figure out why Chargers fans hate Anthony Lynn so much. I haven't really watched the Chargers play, but Herbert could end up throwing more yards and have just as many TDs he did when he was in Oregon. That doesn't happen often. Herbert didn't start until week 2. They don't have a RB that can reach 1k rushing yards or stay healthy. I'm not saying we should add him on the list, but he is interesting. I'm interested in seeing what went wrong, if it is his coordinators or him. 

25 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm trying to figure out why Chargers fans hate Anthony Lynn so much. I haven't really watched the Chargers play, but Herbert could end up throwing more yards and have just as many TDs he did when he was in Oregon. That doesn't happen often. Herbert didn't start until week 2. They don't have a RB that can reach 1k rushing yards or stay healthy. I'm not saying we should add him on the list, but he is interesting. I'm interested in seeing what went wrong, if it is his coordinators or him. 

Last time I checked Lynn's decision-making is major reason why Chargers lost few games when they should win all.  His coordinators shouldn't be an issue. 

If Chargers fired Lynn and hired HC that calls offense then Jets would have to grab Shane Steichen immediately as OC.

edit: I made quick look back.    On Dec 6, Lynn was said to be on hot seat and SS could be replacing him.  On Dec 15, the story about SS's decision to run instead of pass on 3rd down and 1 yard with no timeout. Lynn won't make a change at OC.

What do we know.🤯

Edited by JetsandI

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Last time I checked Lynn's decision-making is major reason why Chargers lost few games when they should win all.  His coordinators shouldn't be an issue. 

If Chargers fired Lynn and hired HC that calls offense then Jets would have to grab Shane Steichen immediately as OC.

That's a tough one to decide from our point of view though. There was a game when he took over the special teams duty because they kept screwing up and ended up winning with a FG. So I'll have to see what decisions he made that killed the team vs what play calls his coordinators made. 

Shane might have to be considered because I'm really impressed. Someone there is doing something right. At least their QB coach should be looked at.