2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

15 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Let's say we go with Smith. 

Keep Sam, Draft Sewell to have him and Becton leading the way on outside zone runs in Smith's scheme. With Seattle's 1 maybe Kyle Pitts, Tight Ends dont go to early so he could be there. Top of Round 2 grab Najee Harris.

Becton/Sewell as bookends, Harris being the workhorse with Ty and Perine to spell him and Mims/Pitts/Crowder/whoever else thriving off the PA passing game.

Sounds good in theory. But in reality I can’t see Pitts falling to the 28-32 range. So I’d rather go WR there. Maybe something like Waddle there and Harris at 34, so Sewell, Waddle, Harris.

When Lawrence was in the picture, I liked Bieniemy more than Saleh because we were definitely going to build around Lawrence and the offense. Now, however, I really like the idea of bringing in Saleh and McDaniel, drafting Sewell and then try to establish a dominant D and a power running game. I think we have more youth on D than on O, so Saleh might be able to maximize their potential collectively. I also really love the idea of Sherman following him to NY. He is the type of winner and leader we could definitely use more of. Especially if Frank Gore retires, which is expected. 

If we fire Gase, not exercise Darnold's 5th year option, hire Saleh, draft Sewell and bring in a veteran starting quarterback, I think we might be able to quickly retool and finally find an identity for this team. 

It seems to me we won't be a sexy team, but I don't care about that. We have tried sexy, we have tried exotic, we have tried meat and potatoes, we have tried offensive gurus, defensive gurus...new school old school, etc. etc. etc. There is no formula for success here. Just take the best people available, get everybody on the same page, find an identity and stick to it. It just might work (relatively speaking, of course).

40 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I read this morning that Bieniemy has had poor interviews, legal troubles from years past and that Andy Reid is responsible for all of the success of the offense.

Hes not impressive what so ever and thats why he hasnt been hired. Everyone has to make it a race thing, fact is, he interviews like **** and nobody believes he should be a HC. He would be a terrible hire here. 

I think if JD has the final say, its going to be either Martindale or Saleh and I lean towards Martindale. Proficiency on either side of the ball should not even be a consideration. It is irrelevant. Find the guy who is a great leader, willing to build from the ground up and who has ties to real NFL coordinators with a history of success. We don't need a Gase, a Bowles or honestly even a Rex Ryan who really could only help one side of the ball. Find me the guy whose not here to call plays but whose here to coach the entire team. 

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Sounds good in theory. But in reality I can’t see Pitts falling to the 28-32 range. So I’d rather go WR there. Maybe something like Waddle there and Harris at 34, so Sewell, Waddle, Harris.

I wonder how early Pitts goes, Tight Ends by tradition don’t go early but he’s a game breaker with his speed. Still, Sewell/Waddle/Harris is a very good trio to bring in. 

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I read this morning that Bieniemy has had poor interviews, legal troubles from years past and that Andy Reid is responsible for all of the success of the offense.

He’s a puppet, people give him credit for Mahomes and it’s hilarious to me. I’d take Kafka over him. 

• Like 1

Out of the coaches I believe we'll be picking from or have a good shot at; Brady, Martindale, and Morris are my top 3 favorites right now. If Brady can prove his leadership and run a defense JD likes, I can't see us passing up on him. It's been 5 years since we've had a 1k WR, the Panthers almost had 3 of them this season with a QB & WR we let walk. Even Mike Davis had a total of 1,000 yards. I can't imagine what he would have done with CMC. I would love the CEO type, but can't force it if the option isn't there. Out of all the options, I feel like Brady would be the one to either improve Sam if we're keeping him, develop the rookie, or get a solid performance out of a struggling vet. I'm a big fan of defense, but what Joe Brady could bring could change everything sooner than later. 

For some reason I could not find NFL's minority list for interview but I don't want any cheap interview just to meet the requirement.   My list is

Jay Norvell (former defensive player that calls offense. Involved with NACED)

Robert Saleh (Has experience with overhauling/rebuilding work)

Jim Caldwell (old school, health recovery)

Raheem Morris (Only one with HC experience in NFL)

Unnecessary to interview with

Kris Richard

Marvis Lewis

Leslie Frazier (he should be on above list but I get funny feeling that he doesn't care for another shot at HC.)

Eric Bieniemy (Nothing to do with legal issues (all in Colorado) which was 20 years ago. Reid's proteges have not panned out well as HC so far.)