2021's Head Coaching Candidates

JetsandI

If we are able to get Arthur Smith we need to do everything in our power to get him. He is the next Sean McVay with what he's been able to do in Tennessee with Tannehill & their depleted O-Line losing Conklin & Taylor.

The defense has good young players in Hall, Davis, JFM, Williams.

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

Welp, hyped him up too soon. The fumbles killed them but they should have done a better job running out the clock.  

I thought this comparison was interesting though

He was interim HC for Ohio State but passed on opportunity to be permanent HC. That opened the door for Urban Meyers. Now, He is HC of the university south of his alma master.  He was involved in NFL for one season but it was on IR. lol.   

Unless he pulls a surprise on us I dont think he will pursue NFL job.  Maybe wait for Zac Taylor to be sacked. umm. 

52 minutes ago, JamisonByke said:

If we are able to get Arthur Smith we need to do everything in our power to get him. He is the next Sean McVay with what he's been able to do in Tennessee with Tannehill & their depleted O-Line losing Conklin & Taylor.

Titans were still good without them. Because Tanny is mobile and good at decision making, OL doesn't matter.  Heck, Henry is hard to contain.

9 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

If Jets do decide on Fields, wonder if they consider trying and pairing him with Ryan Day back in NFL?

Worth looking into. I didn't know he was a QB coach with the Eagles & 49ers. I don't know if he leaves this early though. 

16 hours ago, JamisonByke said:

This comparison (McVay) had more weight before his team completely slept through the Jets game. Now, his team is in position to miss the playoffs entirely. 

I'm not sure I want the next Sean McVay to be perfectly honest. Also, not sure Arthur Smith is the next McVay so it is not entirely fair to him.

Robert Saleh's defense has pretty much had its way with McVay's offense since both have been in their current positions. Give me Saleh.

The silver lining to yesterday with Fields besides that he looked good and beat the guy who will go #1 is that he made himself mores desirable for a new HC. I stated that losing that 1st pick and not getting TLaw would hurt us in the HC search. But Fields has this under his belt now for JD to sell a new HC if that’s the direction we’re going.

Menaing... what happened yesterday could only help us in our HC search. Unless we are selling a HC that we are drafting Fields

Going to go over coaches that have been "successful" and what the QB situations were when they were hired.

Sean McVay: Jared Goff 1st overall year before

Andy Reid: came in with Alex Smith in 2013 then drafted his guy in 2018 after falling short

Mike Vrabel: Marcus Mariota drafted #2 three(?) years prior then brings in Tannehill

Mike Tomlin: Big Ben drafted three years prior but is established

Sean McDermott: 2017 Tyrod Taylor is there, draft Josh Allen in 2018

Pete Carroll: came in with Matt Hasselbeck then drafted Russell in 2012

Kliff Kingsbury: ditched Rosen the previous 1st round pick and drafted Kyler 1st overall 

Kyle Shanahan: started with Brian Hoyer and traded for Jimmy G during the season

OK this is actually hurting my point lol.  Some of came in and stuck with the QBs that were there because they were either big time draft picks or they gave the guy a shot and waited until a draft down the line to get their guy.  Hmmmm maybe a coach will try to go with Sam?

33 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Meyer to Jacksonville and they draft Fields. I will believe this until Goodell says Lawrence's name.

I Disagree.

Just bc he coached OSU doesn’t mean anything to connect him with Fields (who he never coached or recruited to OSU).

We will be drafting 2nd with TLaw a JAG. There’s a slim to no chance that won’t be the case.

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I Disagree.

Just bc he coached OSU doesn’t mean anything to connect him with Fields (who he never coached or recruited to OSU).

We will be drafting 2nd with TLaw a JAG. There’s a slim to no chance that won’t be the case.

Not so fast!

Urban Meyer had T Law edge over Fields basing on experience but he has dug deeper on Fields this year and his liking for him gets stronger.   If Meyer becomes Jaguars HC and plans to have Jaguars to be one of 5 NFL teams that run most RPO then Fields is best fit there.

I am not sure if I heard right about Day being 2nd target after Meyer for Jaguars.  I will check it out later. Whatever it is, T Law is no lock for Jaguars right now.