What movie are you watching?

Forge

Watched Some Kind of Wonderful again, that is a pretty good movie.  I would say it is top 20 Romance films all time.  Some really good scenes and dialogue at points in the film!

• Like 2

Stay from 2005 is another underrated gem.  Ryan Gosling stars as a college student who tells a psychologist he's going to kill himself in 3 days.  Not saying anything else about this movie plot wise.  This is one of those movies you have to pay attention to what's going on.  This is the type of movie that once you know the twist and what's really going on, you'll see things differently on a second viewing.  I give this 7/10 but It might go higher hen I see it again.  Like Frailty, great movie but very hard to find.  If you do find it, watch it.

Road House original from 89  This is a bad movie but it's so bad it's good.  Sam Elliot is easily the best part about this movie.  Ban Gazzara his having fun as the villain.  Patrick Swayze and Kelly Lynch are good in it as well.  Just leave your brain at the door.  6/10

Ready or Not is another fun one.  Samara Weaving is good as a bride getting married into a wealthy family whose wealth comes from games.  This is the craziest most messed up version of hide and seek you'll ever see.  Some good humor in it as well, especially the movies last line.  I have mixed feelings about the ending.  I liked it but I also didn't.  6/10

Scott Pilgrim vs the World need I say more?  This movie rules  10/10

• Like 1

American Graffiti, first time I saw it I did not love it but second time around it is pretty sweet film that is pretty iconic.  And super impressive it is pretty much Harrison Ford's first breakout role and obviously George Lucas's first major movie as a Director/writer.  

Also helps show how music can carry a movie and instantly transport the audience to that time period along with the setting and clothing of course.  

• Like 2

GF-03068_MSG.jpg?w=1581&h=1054&crop=1

Finally got around to watching Oppenheimer, and this movie deserved every accolade it got.  The acting was superb, i'm already a Nolan fanboy and he didn't disappoint here, and he used every bit of the near three hour runtime to great effect.  I had heard all the hype around Murphy and RDJ (all well deserved) but I thought Matt Damon was rather fantastic as Leslie Groves in this as well.  I thought he brought a lot of humanity to what could have been a very paint by numbers tough guy military role.  The score for this was phenomenal as well by Ludwig Goransson, i'd say easily the best of his impressive young career so far above Tenet, The Mandalorian, and Black Panther.  This movie throws so much at you (it honestly could have been two 2-hour movies) that I think i'm going to need a second viewing to really digest it, but it's an easy A for me, and lands in the upper half of Nolan's filmography.

Chistopher Nolan movie rankings

1. Inception
  2. The Prestige
  3. Oppenheimer
  4. Interstellar
  5. Dunkirk
  6. Batman Begins
  7. The Dark Knight
  8. Tenet
  9. Memento
  10. The Dark Knight Rises
  11. Insomnia

I think Nolan has a pretty strong argument for greatest director of the 21st century and has set the bar high for anyone to pass him anytime soon.

• Like 2

Cast Away always makes me tear up at the end. Also love that his wife said she didn’t give up on him but got remarried and had a 1-2 year old kid within 4 years of him being missing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Cast Away always makes me tear up at the end. Also love that his wife said she didn’t give up on him but got remarried and had a 1-2 year old kid within 4 years of him being missing 

8167c232-72f2-41f1-8f5b-5ecf0a0ab967_tex

• Like 1

The Gift, starring Jason Bateman, Joel Edgerton (he also wrote/directed) from 2015.

I don't remember this film at all. Never even remember hearing of it. It was a pretty solid psychological thriller overall. Worth the casual Sunday viewing with the wife. 

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

The Gift, starring Jason Bateman, Joel Edgerton (he also wrote/directed) from 2015.

I don't remember this film at all. Never even remember hearing of it. It was a pretty solid psychological thriller overall. Worth the casual Sunday viewing with the wife. 

Agreed, I would not call this an all time favorite of mine, but for a film to randomly watch, absolutely worth it 100%.  Well done and creepy.

On 6/3/2024 at 7:41 AM, THE DUKE said:

GF-03068_MSG.jpg?w=1581&h=1054&crop=1

Finally got around to watching Oppenheimer, and this movie deserved every accolade it got.  The acting was superb, i'm already a Nolan fanboy and he didn't disappoint here, and he used every bit of the near three hour runtime to great effect.  I had heard all the hype around Murphy and RDJ (all well deserved) but I thought Matt Damon was rather fantastic as Leslie Groves in this as well.  I thought he brought a lot of humanity to what could have been a very paint by numbers tough guy military role.  The score for this was phenomenal as well by Ludwig Goransson, i'd say easily the best of his impressive young career so far above Tenet, The Mandalorian, and Black Panther.  This movie throws so much at you (it honestly could have been two 2-hour movies) that I think i'm going to need a second viewing to really digest it, but it's an easy A for me, and lands in the upper half of Nolan's filmography.

Chistopher Nolan movie rankings

1. Inception
  2. The Prestige
  3. Oppenheimer
  4. Interstellar
  5. Dunkirk
  6. Batman Begins
  7. The Dark Knight
  8. Tenet
  9. Memento
  10. The Dark Knight Rises
  11. Insomnia

I think Nolan has a pretty strong argument for greatest director of the 21st century and has set the bar high for anyone to pass him anytime soon.

I have not seen Oppenheimer yet.

Inception, I have a hard time with that as #1 all time for Christopher Nolan.  I barely even remember what it was about, it was not very memorable at all.  I would say Insomnia was a far memorable and iconic movie.  Interstellar, I do not get that popularity of that money, oh big truck driving in the corn field and he is a little old farmer ex NASA guy but knows more than all these current new NASA guys...  It was kind of lame.

The Dark Knight being that low is odd, especially with one of the best villain performances of all time.  Sure he carries the film and his scenes in the movie are so watched over and over it kind of loses the affect one had when watching it for the first time.  But that movie is easily in Nolan's top 5.  

He has an impressive movie list no question but it is pretty short, those movies you listed are all the films he has ever made right.  Which in itself is obviously quite small.

I will have to see Oppenheimer at some point, Dunkirk is pretty underrated, that film visually is freaking sweet.  Insomnia for sure to me is way above some of the movies you have ahead of it.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I have not seen Oppenheimer yet.

Inception, I have a hard time with that as #1 all time for Christopher Nolan.  I barely even remember what it was about, it was not very memorable at all.  I would say Insomnia was a far memorable and iconic movie.  Interstellar, I do not get that popularity of that money, oh big truck driving in the corn field and he is a little old farmer ex NASA guy but knows more than all these current new NASA guys...  It was kind of lame.

The Dark Knight being that low is odd, especially with one of the best villain performances of all time.  Sure he carries the film and his scenes in the movie are so watched over and over it kind of loses the affect one had when watching it for the first time.  But that movie is easily in Nolan's top 5.  

He has an impressive movie list no question but it is pretty short, those movies you listed are all the films he has ever made right.  Which in itself is obviously quite small.

I will have to see Oppenheimer at some point, Dunkirk is pretty underrated, that film visually is freaking sweet.  Insomnia for sure to me is way above some of the movies you have ahead of it.  

Where I think Inception and Interstellar excel are the way I am able to connect emotionally with the plot and the way it makes me feel watching it.  They take me on a ride.  Brilliant immersion.

Dunkirk might be the best sound edited film of the 21st century as well imo, as little as I really know about the topic to be fair.

I've always been consistent on The Dark Knight.  Love it, always have, directly after it came out I still rated Batman Begins above it, even in the heat of the moment of its release.  The only reason it's not in the top 5 because I think Nolan has just been THAT good.

11 movies in 23 years isn't that bad of a pace, i'd rather he take his time and do the right projects rather than just **** out movies to fill a list up.  There is a reason why pretty much every A list actor is lining up to work with Nolan, the number of people he got to play bit parts in Oppenheimer is nuts.

Edited by THE DUKE