What movie are you watching?

Forge

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If a movie is set during Xmas and I hear the song let it snow on it's soundtrack, I 100% reserve the right to call it a Xmas movie.

I know, imagine believing a movie with 21 Christmas references set on Christmas (!) isn’t a Christmas movie. 🙄 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If a movie is set during Xmas and I hear the song let it snow on it's soundtrack, I 100% reserve the right to call it a Xmas movie.

I had a very animated discussion with some extended family members at Thanksgiving last year about what is and isn't a Christmas movie. I think I must have very loose criteria for determining if something is a Christmas movie.

For me, if it takes place during the holiday season (late November-early January), features Christmas in some way (even if very lightly), "feels right" to watch during the holiday season, and incorporates, or even touches on, Christmas themes, it is a Christmas movie.

Movies that feature Santa prominently as a character are obviously Christmas movies. Die Hard? Absolutely a Christmas movie; it takes place during a Christmas party, features Christmas decor and music, and has a theme of family and togetherness (John McClane getting back in touch with his ex-wife). Trading Places? Again, absolutely a Christmas movie. Features Christmas parties, NYE parties, a main character wears a Santa suit, and features themes of goodwill to all (especially those less fortunate). Here is maybe where I get a little crazy: Tim Burton's Batman Returns and Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone? Yup, both Christmas movies. They take place, at least partly, at Christmas, feature Christmas decor and settings, and both have themes of finding your family that isn't necessarily your blood relatives. Little Women (2019), Edward Scissorhands, While You Were Sleeping, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man 3, Lethal Weapon (what is it with Shane Black and making all of his movies set at Christmas? lol), In Bruges- all are Christmas movies.

I will die on this hill.

• Like 1

I personally think Die Hard is overrated.  If I want a Christmas like action flick give me The long Kiss Goodnight.  Maybe Die hard being overrated is the wrong word maybe The Long Kiss Goodnight is just criminally underrated to me.

Also watched you're next last night and for a movie with poor acting, and a cookie cutter generic plot, The final girl is one of my favorites of all time she saves this movie.

A Christmas Story- a boy desperately wants a BB gun for Christmas

Christmas Vacation- a father wants to give his family the perfect Christmas 

Elf- Buddy brings Christmas spirit to NYC as searches for his father and ultimately helps Santa save Christmas

Gremlins- a father finds what he thinks is the perfect Christmas present for his son

Diehard- a NYC cop tries to save his wife and co-workers from terrorists in L.A.

Fans certainly have their own takes but imo, a Christmas movie needs to be about Christmas, not just take place during it.  Yes, Diehard  has a few Christmas song placements. Yes, there is a Santa suit that is conveniently stashed far away from the highly secular Japanese holiday party that is going on.  It's one of the greatest action movies ever made but where's the Christmas spirit?  It's not there bcuz the movie isn't about Christmas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

A Christmas Story- a boy desperately wants a BB gun for Christmas

Christmas Vacation- a father wants to give his family the perfect Christmas 

Elf- Buddy brings Christmas spirit to NYC as searches for his father and ultimately helps Santa save Christmas

Gremlins- a father finds what he thinks is the perfect Christmas present for his son

Diehard- a NYC cop tries to save his wife and co-workers from terrorists in L.A.

Fans certainly have their own takes but imo, a Christmas movie needs to be about Christmas, not just take place during it.  Yes, Diehard  has a few Christmas song placements. Yes, there is a Santa suit that is conveniently stashed far away from the highly secular Japanese holiday party that is going on.  It's one of the greatest action movies ever made but where's the Christmas spirit?  It's not there bcuz the movie isn't about Christmas.

Do you consider Christmas spoof horror movies, like Krampus or Violent Night, Christmas movies? They have Christmas spirit, but in a different way than traditional Christmas movies. Same with movies like Die Hard and Trading Places.

17 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Do you consider Christmas spoof horror movies, like Krampus or Violent Night, Christmas movies? They have Christmas spirit, but in a different way than traditional Christmas movies. Same with movies like Die Hard and Trading Places.

I remember watching Silent Night, Deadly Night as a kid when I was into slasher movies but I haven’t watched any in forever.  I’d classify those as horror movies more than anything else but it’s not a genre I’m interested in to argue it otherwise. 

Trading Places takes place over a longer period of time including New Year’s so that’s an easy no.  Great movie tho with endless quotables. 

On 6/20/2024 at 2:02 PM, thebestever6 said:

I personally think Die Hard is overrated

52fc6a561faacdc3fc5ff83ecfdb3461_w200.gi

As for the Christmas movie question:

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/holidays-celebrations/a41577637/is-die-hard-a-christmas-movie/

Director said yes, Willis at a roast said no. I would say that if Home Alone is, Die Hard is, since the logic must remain consistent with the whole “the plot could be done any time of the year” argument.

Also, It’s a Wonderful Life happens during New Years.