Week 2 GDT - New York Jets vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yes, it is. On pace to finish in the bottom 5 of injury luck once again. They said law of averages would eventually be on our side. Wishful thinking. 

It's been one game...not sure what kind of pace we are looking at there. That being said

Kittle has missed games every season of his career but one, and even though he's missed a relatively few number of games, he's had multiple seasons where he was really banged up and playing through it. 

Deebo's injuries in college were one of the reasons some niner fans didn't want him. 

Ford's injuries throughout his career are pretty notorious. 

Sherm has missed at least one game every year since 2017, and he's getting older...likely his body isn't going to start getting better about this. 

If Jimmie Ward gets hurt, I'm not going to throw my hands up about injury luck...that's kind of the story of his career. Tartt too. At some point, I don't know if the same players getting hurt is a matter of bad luck so much as a number of other contributions. 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 2:55 AM, Forge said:

I haven't watched yet, but that's a bad sign regardless

Listening to Oscar and David on the Better Rivals podcast, they had a different reaction: 

Oscar:
"Dante Pettis...this was the game where if you're Dante Pettis, if you are gonna be something for this team, this was the time to do it. And Dante Pettis basically spent all game getting swallowed by basically whomever was across from him. He did no favors, he could not get off of defenders, and then on one play, the one play where he could have been open, and could have had a pretty good catch, he runs just...kind of an absurd route, and tries to just get under contact in a way that completely screws up the route." 

David had the same sentiment and broke down the play where Pettis was lined up to the left side against the Cardinals playing a quarters defense. The deep post route which is generally good against quarters, wasn't utilized well by Pettis when he tried to run it. He inexplicably decided to undercut the route beneath the safety, basically turning the post into a deep crossing route instead. This allowed the backside safety time to see the ball in the air, spin around then recover for an opportunity to make a play on the ball. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yes, it is. On pace to finish in the bottom 5 of injury luck once again. They said law of averages would eventually be on our side. Wishful thinking. 

Is say we were pretty healthy last season even though we really weren't when you look at it

So many guys missed time last year, but the whole band got back together later in the season and we made our run.

So, we weren't really healthy all year, but at the same time getting everybody back was fortunate. So, that may have actually been the injury good luck you are referring to 

Like @Forge laid out, the injury history is there for most of these guys, individually. So it's not as much being snake bitten as far as this is just how it's gonna be for some of these guys, and that is ok 

We have the coaching staff and the locker room to weather the storm and stack enough Ws to get us to the dance and then at that point, it's just - go win a game with the guys you have. 

That's how I'm feeling about this week. Players are gone, but it's week 2 and we are playing the jets so please for the love of the 49ers being a great team let's go win a game. Lol 

In a long term sense though, we got great value on so many of these contracts/draft picks partly because they had the injury history, that was a choice made thinking that -  if these guys are who we think they are on the field it's worth the risk because we know who they are as men and as competitors, whereas maybe some other guys available aren't a scheme fit or have potential personality traits we didnt want to deal with 

So, it's kinda just how it is. We are building this thing to be as bullet proof as possible but you could draft/sign guys who don't have an injury history and then still have guys go down. So it's very much about having a backup plan for as many bad scenarios as possible, but sometimes sh!t happens 

Would be great if we were more healthy, but we are still good lol we are missing guys but it seems like the players in the lineup aren't banged up. So that's good. We are still very much a complete football team 

On 9/18/2020 at 1:05 PM, Forge said:

Honestly, the whole thing was a mess. None of it make much sense. The gameplan is to not throw it to receivers according to Shanny, but he only gives 10 and 7 snaps to the second tight ends? Even though that was a staple last year of the offense in running 2 TE sets? The entire thing seems weird...and I've never heard of a game plan where the idea was not to throw it to receivers  lol.

A mess is a good way to put it 

Discombobulated in a lot of ways 

We weren't planning on not having kittle, and I think Kyle gets really fixated on his specific plan of attack in certain spots.

The whole thing is tied together in how he really wants to set up teams with all of the motion etc that we do but also how certain play calls are designed to lay traps for you later in the game. 

Kyle is a football savant. Super creative obviously and the stuff he must do on the whiteboard in the office most be unreal while trying together the whole strategy of it. 

I'm a creative type too, and I can tell you from experience that sometimes in the creative process you can be off rhythm or out of sync and it's hard to just like - center all of it and harness it 

I thought we had a nice game plan early, I loved the fact we put simmonds head in the washing machine and turned the settings to SPIN CYCLE 

So it wasn't all bad, started off good and then it kinda fell apart 

Was a weird day in the smoke and everything else obviously. Just an unusual set of circumstances in so many ways with levi's being empty on top of it 

The whole offensive unit should be better. I'm pumped to see aiyuk in action obviously. 

I expect jimmy to be sharp from the beginning. He knows what is at stake. He's a pro. 

Kyle has some kind of plan for us and is kinda demanding of his players, so I really think we are going to get a good showing from them 

The jets defense actually has some nice players and Greg williams has been around the block. Everyone knows he loves to blitz so let's hit them with some pre snap motions and catch them with their pants down 

This feels like a game that mckinnon is gonna have a big impact because he can pass block and will be useful picking up blitzes. also slipping him out of the backfield where garoppolo baits the defender into commiting to the blitz and then suddenly mckinnon has a ton of room to run sounds fantastic. I think that type of play is why @y2lamanaki and others were excited for what he could do in this offense. 

A RB who can catch passes and also is a great blocker seems like the final piece to the puzzle in this offense. We are basically following the trends in other sports with regards to position less play and versatile athletes who can do everything. It really unlocks a lot of different tools 

TL;DR GO NINERS 

• Like 1