Week 2 GDT - New York Jets vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

37 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

So funny how far apart the reviews have been on Kinlaw. Some say he's tearing it up and some say that he's not ready to play in the NFL. I've never seen such varying opinions on a player. 

I broke down the film last night (not all 22, sadly. wasnt available yet)

There were a few plays he ended up on his back. He fired out very low out of his stance but didnt bring his hands up and tried to ram the G with his shoulder. The G got his hands on his pads, turned his shoulders to the side, forcing kinlaw to turn his hips and lose leverage. That was his first snap.

The nice move on a pass rush they were talking about was on the cardinals 5 yard line, he used his hands very well and ripped through a block, took one step to the side and then rushed up field. It was very weird after that, because he did this very odd high knees run forward, his legs were moving fast but he was not moving forward very fast. was very odd. He didnt look like he had the closing speed you need to be an elite pass rusher. maybe he was doing that because he was worried about kyler running, I am not sure. 

I was happy with what I saw though

Edited by N4L

1 hour ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

So funny how far apart the reviews have been on Kinlaw. Some say he's tearing it up and some say that he's not ready to play in the NFL. I've never seen such varying opinions on a player. 

Honestly, I didn't play close attention to him as the game was going on but when I re-watched the game and paid attention to the DL, he definitely had a good game. I still haven't finished re-watching the game but he did some good stuff in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. He's going to be a force for years to come. The two disappointing players on the DL were Ford and Armstead. They need to play much better going forward. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The two disappointing players on the DL were Ford and Armstead. They need to play much better going forward. 

Yes, definitely. Armstead looked unsure of himself and hesitant. He played his best ball last year when he was penetrating and getting up field. That is where he is at his best, and he looked like he was playing contain more often than not 

Ford looked heavy and slow. I don't want to call him fat, but he looked heavy. Not sure if his lower body is healthy, I know he missed some time with a hammy, but this was very disappointing for me. He needs to be put on a snap count or something and only used on third downs. Just didn't have that burst he had last year. 

Also, I feel much much better about our team after my third rewatch. There was more positive than people are acknowledging 

44 minutes ago, Madridista said:

This one should come down to the wire if Kittle doesn't play (and I don't expect him to). No passing game, no CB's, poor tackling...but luckily the Jets don't have much talent.

16-13 SF

Really? It shouldn't be even close. As bad as last game was this is still a supremely talented roster.

4 hours ago, N4L said:

I was happy with what I saw though

Me too, especially given the expectation following the tepid reactions to his performance in cap. I saw him get taken out of the play a couple of times...I mentioned it on one series he started off by getting pushed around, but then came back on the third play and helped make the stop. Baby steps for him. He was super raw (one of the reasons I didn't actually want to draft him if we are going to be honest) 

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

Me too, especially given the expectation following the tepid reactions to his performance in cap. I saw him get taken out of the play a couple of times...I mentioned it on one series he started off by getting pushed around, but then came back on the third play and helped make the stop. Baby steps for him. He was super raw (one of the reasons I didn't actually want to draft him if we are going to be honest) 

Yea, I think that's what he'll be all year as a rookie. One awesome play, followed by a okay play, then he'll have two plays where he's washed. He's basically learning on the fly with no off-season. Like I said in the TC thread, my biggest thing with Javon this year is for him to stay healthy so he can get those live reps and game film to build on and improve. So next year he can come in and hit the ground running and really start to show that top of the first round talent.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aussie9er said:

Kinlaw isn't the worry on the d-line atm it's gotta be ford he looked slow and fat. Really didn't like the trade for ford at the time and starting to hate it more now. 

I was hoping we’d sign Preston Smith as he was my favorite available edge that offseason. It turns out Zadarius was the best available edge that year, but Preston wouldn’t have cost us a draft pick and I think we would have been in better shape now. Oh well. 

54 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I was hoping we’d sign Preston Smith as he was my favorite available edge that offseason. It turns out Zadarius was the best available edge that year, but Preston wouldn’t have cost us a draft pick and I think we would have been in better shape now. Oh well. 

Yea, I wanted Z. He was severely underrated on those Ravens teams. Thought he would breakout once he left and he indeed did.

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Yea, I wanted Z. He was severely underrated on those Ravens teams. Thought he would breakout once he left and he indeed did.

yeah, he basically got the same contract we gave ford. 4/66 is basically the same aav as 5/85

wouldnt have cost us a draft pick either

I really liked what I saw from Ford last year. His speed off the edge running the arc was something we sorely needed. forcing QBs to step up into the teeth of our DL is hugely advantageous. 

That is nothing like what I saw from him last Sunday. He looked very bad. We are probably stuck with him for one more season at least I would think. Hopefully he gets right. He is a vet and knows he had a bad game. So thats something