The Raider Depreciation Thread πŸ“‰

RaidersAreOne

46 minutes ago, true2form said:

No bloated dead contracts is a good thing.Β  You have to take a chance here and there though.Β  Otherwise you're a turnstile of 1 year contract guys who get replaced with more 1 year contract guys the next year.Β  Oh wait...

This is why you have to build through the draft. The only player worth paying on defense, Maxx, got paid.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

They don't even have to perform(ask Chandler Jones)

His presser yesterday pissed me tf off talking about β€œI don’t care about stats and how y’all say I performed it’s all about how the coaches grade me and I always got good grades”

bruh 80% of the time you looked old and slow af getting straight abused. Getting paid too much for grades. Imo as a coach eventually stats will come if you’re actually doing the right things. His stats rarely ever came for someone who’s getting such good grades from coaches

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This is why you have to build through the draft. The only player worth paying on defense, Maxx, got paid.

Don't disagree.Β  We haven't been able to do that, since probably the 70's or 80's though.Β  These guys have to prove that they are different before my mindset changes, fair or unfair.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, true2form said:

Don't disagree.Β  We haven't been able to do that, since probably the 70's or 80's though.Β  These guys have to prove that they are different before my mindset changes, fair or unfair.

I think that is fair. They need to show they can build out the defense around Maxx and that the picks they are making can earn second contracts. I want to see some consistency in roster construction, the turnover year after year does nobody any favors.Β 

They seem to have a plan, but it will take some patience to come to fruition which we are all tired of.Β 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I think that is fair. They need to show they can build out the defense around Maxx and that the picks they are making can earn second contracts. I want to see some consistency in roster construction, the turnover year after year does nobody any favors.Β 

They seem to have a plan, but it will take some patience to come to fruition which we are all tired of.Β 

Yeah, I'm not saying to get rid of them today.Β  I am saying I'm not excited by virtually anything they've done so far though. The flip from 1 season to the next in strategy really rubbed me the wrong way.Β  They have a chance this season to change my opinion, but I'm not optimistic at this point.Β 

Like most of us, I really want to feel that offseason hope we all usually have this time of year.Β  I just don't this year.Β 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, true2form said:

Yeah, I'm not saying to get rid of them today.Β  I am saying I'm not excited by virtually anything they've done so far though. The flip from 1 season to the next in strategy really rubbed me the wrong way.Β  They have a chance this season to change my opinion, but I'm not optimistic at this point.Β 

Like most of us, I really want to feel that offseason hope we all usually have this time of year.Β  I just don't this year.Β 

I get that, and it's odd because I'm the opposite this year. I think they took a step in the right direction, but it will take time.Β 

They didn't try to win the offseason signing a bunch of overpriced average talents. They said they want to build via the draft and they held true to that.Β 

I want to see them build a consistent team that can compete. Not the flash in the pan, one off playoff appearance every few years.Β 

I'm in the minority, but I think this regime will prove itself in time. They are a smart group, but not without faults. They will make this work if Davis doesn't get impatient.Β 

I get people hate McDaniels. But I like him and I think he embodies a Raider. Black sheep, rubs people the wrong way. The kind of guy Al would have in his corner and loved to work with.Β 

We're in a new era I guess. Fans want conformity. They want what every other team has. Don't want to the outsiders anymore. That's personally what drew me to this franchise in the first place.Β Β 

Β 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I get that, and it's odd because I'm the opposite this year. I think they took a step in the right direction, but it will take time.Β 

They didn't try to win the offseason signing a bunch of overpriced average talents. They said they want to build via the draft and they held true to that.Β 

I want to see them build a consistent team that can compete. Not the flash in the pan, one off playoff appearance every few years.Β 

I'm in the minority, but I think this regime will prove itself in time. They are a smart group, but not without faults. They will make this work if Davis doesn't get impatient.Β 

I get people hate McDaniels. But I like him and I think he embodies a Raider. Black sheep, rubs people the wrong way. The kind of guy Al would have in his corner and loved to work with.Β 

We're in a new era I guess. Fans want conformity. They want what every other team has. Don't want to the outsiders anymore. That's personally what drew me to this franchise in the first place.Β Β 

Β 

What drew me was winning our own way and say f everyone else. We employed people no other team would and would win. Everyone hated us and we still won. We won and carried a edge. Now we just loseΒ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Wholly agree with this. We absolutely must create a spine of the team through the draft which we can then supplement with the odd free agent and one year rentals.

You can’t build a team in free agency or make up for abysmal drafts but you can add icing to the cake.

Not every player needs to be a star so we can get role players and depth with cheap FAs but top 3 round draft picks have to start working out regularly.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Β 

I didn't and don't need them to win the offseason.Β  I did however expect them to try harder and they really just seemed disinterested. I'm going to need at minimum a couple of rookies and a couple of free agents to stand out this year.Β  Otherwise, what have they done?

Unfortunately, we will just have to wait and see.Β  The funny thing is, I want us to do exactly what you're saying, but since they came in all Super Bowl or bust, I'm skeptical if they even know what they're doing.Β 

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

What drew me was winning our own way and say f everyone else. We employed people no other team would and would win. Everyone hated us and we still won. We won and carried a edge. Now we just loseΒ 

Love that culture. The Just Win Baby era. The losing for 20+ years has gave way to that culture. That's the one thing I like about this regime. It's something different in how they want to approach it and build it. I'd rather strike out trying the patriot way west than another celebrity or retread coach that's just spinning the wheels.Β 

To each their own. Yes, I'm aware the Patriot way hasn't worked anywhere yadda yadda..... but f everyone else. Take the shot. Ya swing and miss, fine. Hire another stiff the next cycle.Β 

Β 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, true2form said:

I didn't and don't need them to win the offseason.Β  I did however expect them to try harder and they really just seemed disinterested. I'm going to need at minimum a couple of rookies and a couple of free agents to stand out this year.Β  Otherwise, what have they done?

Unfortunately, we will just have to wait and see.Β  The funny thing is, I want us to do exactly what you're saying, but since they came in all Super Bowl or bust, I'm skeptical if they even know what they're doing.Β 

I think they were interested in their price. The FA class, especially on defense was weak. The ROI in this class will be negative league wide as it is every year.Β 

FA is to fill gaps when you've drafted well and have the foundation. Trying to spend your way into relevance never works.Β 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Love that culture. The Just Win Baby era. The losing for 20+ years has gave way to that culture. That's the one thing I like about this regime. It's something different in how they want to approach it and build it. I'd rather strike out trying the patriot way west than another celebrity or retread coach that's just spinning the wheels.Β 

To each their own. Yes, I'm aware the Patriot way hasn't worked anywhere yadda yadda..... but f everyone else. Take the shot. Ya swing and miss, fine. Hire another stiff the next cycle.Β 

Β 

I’d rather not piggyback off the pats I mean kc and others did it there own wayΒ 

I personally think the patriot way is outdated and over exposedΒ 

5 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’d rather not piggyback off the pats I mean kc and others did it there own wayΒ 

I personally think the patriot way is outdated and over exposedΒ 

With regards KC I don’t think they’ve really got a β€˜system’ as such, they just happened to draft the best QB in the league and sign the best coach of offence in the league 🀬🀬

I will say the Pats system has worked with poor QBs like Mac Jones and Matt Cassell and they’ve still been competitive with the cadaver of Cam Newton so I think we could use their system as a base and hopefully add our own wrinkles or evolve it into a Raider one?