Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

8 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Stupid fluke 15-1 season. (Yes I'm still mad)

He won the Super Bowl the next year and again 3 years later... not really that much of a fluke.

He and his team beat the crud out of the 2 teams that played for the Super Bowl that year. (by 14 and 24 points)

• Those 2 teams went 31-2 in games they tried to win vs the rest of the NFL and 1-2 against the Steelers.

Ben started out 22-3 / 5-1 before his head went through Grandma's windshield.

• 7 of those 22 wins were via game winning drives.

The Steelers were 18-16-1 in their last 35 when Ben started his first game. (53-45-1 in their last 99 games)

They were not a great team again until after he became the QB.

Edited by SkippyX

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

He won the Super Bowl the next year and again 3 years later... not really that much of a fluke.

He and his team beat the crud out of the 2 teams that played for the Super Bowl that year. (by 14 and 24 points)

• Those 2 teams went 31-2 in games they tried to win vs the rest of the NFL and 1-2 against the Steelers.

Ben started out 22-3 / 5-1 before his head went through Grandma's windshield.

• 7 of those 22 wins were via game winning drives.

The Steelers were 18-16-1 in their last 35 when Ben started his first game. (53-45-1 in their last 99 games)

They were not a great team again until after he became the QB.

erase that. ben came in in 2004

Edited by Split the Sticks

On 11/13/2019 at 1:06 AM, wackywabbit said:

Highest points per drive (since at least 1993, when FO as the stats for it):

2007 New England Patriots  3.37
2018 Kansas City Chiefs       3.25
2018 New Orleans Saints      3.21
2016 Atlanta Falcons             3.06
2011 Green Bay Packers       3.05
2013 Denver Broncos             2.98
2004 Indianapolis Colts         2.93
2010 New England Patriots   2.90
2000 St Louis Rams                2.85

2019 Baltimore Ravens through 9 games are at 3.08. Dallas and KC are second at 2.65. For the record, I think it's extremely unlikely the Ravens end up over 3, but the fact they are currently scoring at a rate with the greatest passing offenses we've seen is really interesting.

Ravens offense is now at 3.38 points per drive :|

The ppd differential between them and the second most efficient team (KC) in 2019 is equal to the difference between the 2nd and 22 team. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff/2019

11 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Ravens offense is now at 3.38 points per drive :|

The ppd differential between them and the second most efficient team (KC) in 2019 is equal to the difference between the 2nd and 22 team. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff/2019

oRhSXnO.jpg

To follow that up this is a list of all the top offenses in the NFL for their respective seasons since 1993. The Ravens offensive scoring efficiency is currently on pace to obliterate the competition by roughly 4% points. They are also on pace to obliterate  the competition in yards/drive.

In addition they are on pace to obliterate the 1978 NE Patriots (3,165 yards) for the most rushing yards in NFL history as they are on pace for 3369 yards (204 yard differential).

6 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Just scanned the top ones in each year. But, I actually left off the 98 Vikings who should be just ahead of the 10 Patriots. @diamondbull424 has better breakdown.

Technically my list is just for the very top offense of the season. So it does not include the 2018 (3.21) Saints as well as the 07 Colts (2.7 points/drive)... and the Saints had another season in 2011 (2.98 points/drive) that was also very notable where they just missed out on the 3 points/drive mark.

I thought about including the top 3 of each year, but that seemed like a chore and only included the notable ones seemed kind of unfair to some offenses that someone else might equally argue were “notable”. So I just kept to a hard cutoff year over year as the most fair method.

Edited by diamondbull424

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

I was just curious because I thought 2011 Saints were in there somewhere.

Yea, you're right at 2.98, they should be there above some of the others. Looks like I skipped a few errors. Pretty sure the top 5 is right.

Hopefully someone who is paid to do this can spend the time make an article/tweet about it and get it right... lol

Also, the Patriots defense at 0.65 points per drive looks like it is the best in the history of the stat on the other side of the ball. Again assuming, I didn't miss someone. They are still THE best/historically great unit in the league this year IMO.

• Like 1

You can't just look at PPD in a vacuum since the league has shifted towards offense so much

Standard deviations from average PPD

2007 Patriots - 3.30

1998 Vikings - 2.66

2000 Rams - 2.61

2016 Falcons - 2.58

2018 Chiefs - 2.52

2011 Packers - 2.49

2018 Saints - 2.44

I can't be bothered to do anymore right now, but thats the general gist of it. And if you want to do it by ranked as a multiple of the league average at the time, the 2007 Patriots were 86.5% above league average and the closest I can find to them is the 1998 Vikings and 2000 Rams who were in the low 70's. 

Edited by LieutenantGains