What are you reading? V1

Forge

7 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I have the 10 book series then 5 novels by a different writer.

My collection doesnt even start till no.7 on that list with Gardens of the Moon. I dont have any of the 1st 6 mentioned.

Mine are all numbered and numbered correctly except no.4 and 5 are switched on that list. So Im in good shape I guess.

Enjoy it’s a helluva ride.   I actually place it higher than ASOIAF.   Partly because it finished lol but still the quality is there.  That good. 

5 minutes ago, Knowledge said:

The 10 books you have are the first 10 published in order. Its what the authors recommend for first time readers 

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Enjoy it’s a helluva ride.   I actually place it higher than ASOIAF.   Partly because it finished lol but still the quality is there.  That good. 

Okay. At the bottom of that link in the comment section someone post "Ultimate Guide" link.

https://malazan.fandom.com/wiki/Suggested_reading_order#Ultimate_reading_order_suggested_by_members_of_the_Malazan_Empire_Forum

And on all the list there. My 4 and 5 are in the order I have them. (House of Chains - Midnight Tides)

Then says this about the link you put Broncofan.

Erikson said the article likely spawned from a chronological listing he and Esslemont had put together for Tor several years earlier.[1]

In a December 2017 interview (scroll down for English translation), Erikson preferred an order based on publishing date.

"I have seen a number of projected orders. For myself, I would take it in the basic order of publication dates. Why? Well, thematically, the internal timeline is less important than the meta-reality of when we, as writers, wrote the books. Even in our flashback works, we cannot help but be aware of what we’ve written before, and how the two forces resonate with one another. It would, in my humble opinion, be a mistake to ignore that element."
―Steven Erikson

Scared to start 15 books of Malazan with WOW due within a year lol. So started the Sarantine Mosaic by Guy Gavriel Kay.

2 book series. Sailing to Sarantium and Lord of Emperors. Ones 380 pages, other around 450.

Fantasy History based out of Constantinople. GGK has won a bunch of awards, including best fantasy novel 2008. Always loved Constantinople and Byzantine Empire history so thought Id give it a try.  Quarter way in and its a nice smooth running book bout the death of an Emperor with no heir and how the cityfolk, troops, senate and enemies all respond.

On 5/18/2019 at 7:21 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Anybody read the Raven King Trilogy?

Says its Robin Hood set in Whales dealing with Norsemen or something like that. Saw it and grabbed it last night. Wonder if worth investing time in.

I'm like 40% in. Meh. 

Taking a break from history while my new books ship.  I'm reading Prey right now.  I remember this as one of my favorite Michael Crichton novels, but on second reading it's really dragging.  I'm thinking that it must have a really good second half, and I remember the paranoia aspect was what really got me to love it and that aspect hasn't really shown up quite yet.  It's also od because it's one of the only Crichton novels I can think of that was written in the first person. 

It really is a shame that he's gone.  The way he wrote could make somebody who hates science love it.  He writes it in layman's terms so well that it makes a science/math dummy like me feel like I know all there is to know about gene manipulation, nanotechnology, climate change, time travel, shrink rays...

I'm definitely not into that sort of thing and yet Crichton is still one of my all-time favorite fiction writers. 

I finally finished Song of Solomon.  Not that long or difficult, but extended babysitting and leaving it at a courthouse put me behind.  Very good, best Toni Morrison book I've read so far by a wide margin, but the very end could have been done better.

Started into the Book of the New Sun series.  So far it's interesting, if a little weird setup for a sci-fi setting.  I can never get past it when there are swords and crap like that in a future setting that has space travel.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:25 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Scared to start 15 books of Malazan with WOW due within a year lol. So started the Sarantine Mosaic by Guy Gavriel Kay.

2 book series. Sailing to Sarantium and Lord of Emperors. Ones 380 pages, other around 450.

Fantasy History based out of Constantinople. GGK has won a bunch of awards, including best fantasy novel 2008. Always loved Constantinople and Byzantine Empire history so thought Id give it a try.  Quarter way in and its a nice smooth running book bout the death of an Emperor with no heir and how the cityfolk, troops, senate and enemies all respond.

laughter.gif

I might start Malazan, I haven't read much in a while and it'd be nice to have something to immerse myself in again.  If by some miracle WoW is out within the next year, then I can always put it on hold.  Might go through those books within a year though if they catch me.

On 5/26/2019 at 11:25 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Loved them. Wish it were a trilogy to have another book of following some of the characters.

So, I just finished Shadow of the Torturer.  It's not so much a book as a quarter of a book, so I guess I have to read the whole series to get a complete story.  Not impressed with it thus far.

I'm reading In a Free State by V.S. Naipaul in between.  Gotta read some Trini fiction before I get hitched.

Next book in New Sun is after that, then I'm gonna try to tackle Ulysses again.

A Song For Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Was a nice adventure. Likable lead. For only 500 pages. GGK really knows how to build character and story well. Built 7-8 characters, took on 2 countries and a war in that amount of pages. Well put together.

So far going through the GGK books.

Sarantine Mosaic - 10/10

Tigana - 4/10

Song for Arbonne - 8/10

Upcoming - The Lions of Al-Rassan

Edited by PARROTHEAD

• 2 weeks later...

I've almost wrapped up reading the book, The Night Tiger. Came out this year, an Asian author, and a book from the genre magical realism, not what I normally read. I have some issues with it, but overall it's pretty  interesting and captivating, but could be done better. Mainly, you have a story that the main plot line wraps up well before the book does, it wanders some in it's story telling, and your two main characters, that you flip back and forth from depending on the chapter, one is in first person and the other in third person, so every time you switch it just feels weird.

I'm also listening to the book Legacy of the Fallen book #2 in the Ascend Online LitRPG series.

I have an issue with this book, the first one was solid and  you felt like you were getting an idea of the characters and there were two or three plots going at once. However, in this book, we are getting bits and pieces of seemingly 5-6 plots wrapped together all at once. And then you have book #1.5, which was so much better because it had one main plot that all the other plots were tied together in the end, and that wasn't the case with the first book, and doesn't seem that case even remotely for book #2.