What are you reading? V1

Forge

10 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Sounds like Rothfuss is getting book 3 out in August. 

This is from 24 hours ago. https://nextalerts.com/the-doors-of-stone-by-patrick-rothfuss-catch-all-the-details-on-release-date-plot-and-more-29/

Is the book has already arrived?

According to the writer of the book, I.e., Patrick Rothfuss, the book hasn’t been completed yet. Yes, you heard it absolutely right. According to our sources, we have confirmed that during a face to face interview with the writer, he confessed that the book hadn’t been completed yet. And at this particular moment, he is working on another book. So what you have to do it wait until the book arrives in the market. He also said this also that he is not ready to give any prior information regarding this book when it is finished, then it will get released.

The release date:

So basically, the rumors for the 20th of August 2020 is a real fake announcement made by the media to get attention as I mentioned earlier in the text that the writer has already said that he needs some time to finish up with the novel and to recreate it. The one who was enthusiastic about this release date, we can understand your pain, but there is no other option left rather than waiting.

On 4/20/2020 at 9:07 AM, MikeT14 said:
Gold Monthly

1 Credit/Mo.

You pay $14.95 per credit

$14.95 per month
 Current plan
Platinum Monthly

2 Credits/Mo.

You pay $11.48 per credit

$22.95 per month

Get this plan
Gold Annual Special

12 Credits/Yr.

You pay $9.96 per credit in year one, $12.46 per credit thereafter

$119.50 1st year, $149.50/yr. thereafter

Get this plan
Platinum Annual

24 Credits/Yr.

You pay $9.57 per credit

$229.50 per year

Get this plan

Platinum annual is a great deal if you listen a lot. Plus they have deals where you can get 2 books for 1 credit or $5 books. That’s how I do the vast majority of my “reading” these days.

As far as fiction goes, I just finished the first novella in Stephen King’s Different Seasons, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, which is awesome. I started Neuromancer by William Gibson a while back and am trying to finish it before I move on to Apt Pupil, but it’s hard to get through. The narration doesn’t help. Interesting subject matter though. Hopefully it will pick up.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:29 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Sounds like Rothfuss is getting book 3 out in August. 

On 4/29/2020 at 11:15 PM, Oregon Ducks said:

NO way that's true. There would be way more publicity about it.

On 4/30/2020 at 7:34 AM, MikeT14 said:

Yeah... I'm not sure what to do with rothfuss anymore. He's hit grrm territory. 

On the bright side, the next book in the gentlemen bastard sequence, The Thorn of Emberlain, is expected to arrive this year. Tentatively in the fall I believe, as Lynch confirmed last year that he was done. The third book was a bit of a let down, but I think he can get it back on track

On 5/3/2020 at 12:28 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

Age of Empyre comes out tomorrow. Last of the Legends of the First Empire series.

I know some were waiting for the series to be complete first before diving in.

#GeauxRain

Finished.... And look. Ive warned you. Its the worst story, with the most unlikable characters Ive ever witnessed. The level of stupidity and suckiness this last book reaches is impressive. Its like his goal was to be gold medalist in suck. And hes sporting a big smile on that podium while that national anthem plays.

My advice remains if thinking about this series.....

Photoxpress_6283368.jpg

This is Book 2 of the Hugo Award-winning Broken Earth Trilogy. 

Woah! This book is awesome! I just love how NK Jemisin can get you in a character’s head and you feel what they feel. You learn to love or hate them or somewhere in between. On the other hand, you also know that other folks don’t feel that way and they interpret things a different way.

Book 1 - The Fifth Season , was one of my favorite books of 2019 and this is one of my favorites so far this year. She’s a terrific author and I would recommend to anyone. Has anyone else read it?

26228034._SY475_.jpg

2 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

This is Book 2 of the Hugo Award-winning Broken Earth Trilogy. 

Woah! This book is awesome! I just love how NK Jemisin can get you in a character’s head and you feel what they feel. You learn to love or hate them or somewhere in between. On the other hand, you also know that other folks don’t feel that way and they interpret things a different way.

Book 1 - The Fifth Season , was one of my favorite books of 2019 and this is one of my favorites so far this year. She’s a terrific author and I would recommend to anyone. Has anyone else read it?

26228034._SY475_.jpg

Haven't read it, but I did just buy another trilogy of hers (Inheritance).  I'm probably finishing Mistborn today, then it's Count of Monte Cristo, The Silmarillion, and Picture of Dorian Gray before I tackle that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Haven't read it, but I did just buy another trilogy of hers (Inheritance).  I'm probably finishing Mistborn today, then it's Count of Monte Cristo, The Silmarillion, and Picture of Dorian Gray before I tackle that.

I would live to hear your final thoughts on Mistborn.

Seeing Kingdom of Durundal series by S.E. Turner has won some awards the past few years. (Best Swords and Sorcery 2019) 8 books out on it so far. I cant find if its completed yet or not. Her website only shows 4 books. So is all kinds of out of date.

Any help on that?

12 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I would live to hear your final thoughts on Mistborn.

Well, I think Hero of Ages is definitely the weakest of the three, but it's still good.  If nothing else, Sanderson is excellent at storycraft.  He knows how to hit the major points in character arcs, story arcs, etc. and when to hit them, and is great at getting his storyboard pacing right.  Most of them intersect, climax, and resolve at the same time.  He's clearly a practiced hand.

I think the problem he ran into in HOA was that, while it's a very well constructed book, like the first two, it's not nearly as original.  I get why he repeated so many story beats and themes from the first two books, but it made the third book a little repetitive.  Especially since all of them had some sort of twist near the end.  That's hard to do well three times in a row, and the last one lacked the same punch.

Mistborn was a heist, the second a combo high epic war story/espionage story, and the third was, well, a combo high epic war story/espionage story.  He kind of let the reveal of the cogs behind the machine of how hemalurgy worked and what the kandra were all about and Ruin's motives stand in for more of the plot than they should have IMO.

It was a good book, still, but it was noticeably lesser than the first two.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

Well, I think Hero of Ages is definitely the weakest of the three, but it's still good.  If nothing else, Sanderson is excellent at storycraft.  He knows how to hit the major points in character arcs, story arcs, etc. and when to hit them, and is great at getting his storyboard pacing right.  Most of them intersect, climax, and resolve at the same time.  He's clearly a practiced hand.

I think the problem he ran into in HOA was that, while it's a very well constructed book, like the first two, it's not nearly as original.  I get why he repeated so many story beats and themes from the first two books, but it made the third book a little repetitive.  Especially since all of them had some sort of twist near the end.  That's hard to do well three times in a row, and the last one lacked the same punch.

Mistborn was a heist, the second a combo high epic war story/espionage story, and the third was, well, a combo high epic war story/espionage story.  He kind of let the reveal of the cogs behind the machine of how hemalurgy worked and what the kandra were all about and Ruin's motives stand in for more of the plot than they should have IMO.

It was a good book, still, but it was noticeably lesser than the first two.

Interesting. I really liked how The Hero of Ages wrapped everything up. The twist of the Lord Ruler not being as bad as you thought he was and how it hinted more at the intricacies of the Cosmere underneath were well done. So while I loved that The Final Empire was a really run heist and an amazing introduction to the world, and that the warfare and espionage of The Well of Ascension were high points, I don't think Hero of Ages is noticeably worse than either.  I count all three books as excellent, so it's really splitting hairs, but if I were forced to rank them, I think I would rank them 1) The Final Empire, 2) The Hero of Ages, 3) The Well of Ascension.

4 hours ago, fraziafraze07 said:

Interesting. I really liked how The Hero of Ages wrapped everything up. The twist of the Lord Ruler not being as bad as you thought he was and how it hinted more at the intricacies of the Cosmere underneath were well done. 

Oh yeah, the ending was solid, but I didn't think the lead up was as good as it had been.  And the Lord Ruler being good was pretty much already done by the first book, so I don't think it really helped out the third one that much.

3 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

TBH, Eland ruined Mistborn for me. I like a lot of the book series, but Eland, and how he was written, irks me.

Elend was pretty bland.  He'd have been better if he didn't become hyper-competent.  Sazed's story arc disappointed me in HOA the most.  The last chapter was great for him, but I was pretty turned off by the whole struggle with his faith deal.