What are you reading? V1

Forge

23 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I want some non-Lovecraft, non-King horror suggestions.

Not witches, vampires, werewolves.

Preferably not ghosts.

Preferably cosmic terror.  Space, the unknown, existential dread.  

I’m reading The Fold by Peter Clines I think his name is.  The writing isn’t great, but the story I like.

Mayyyyyybe up your alley.

SALVATION DAY BY KALI WALLACE

• Like 1

GRRM:

Even so, it has been going well of late.   Three more chapters completed this past week.   And good progress on several more.

Still a long long way to go, though.   Do not get too excited.

Read the first line and was feeling pretty good. Then by end of the 2nd Im hoping for 2022.

On 7/18/2020 at 10:56 AM, Oregon Ducks said:

The Broken Earth Trilogy is outstanding. Is The Inheritance trilogy worth reading?

On 7/18/2020 at 9:35 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

1st one is good.

2nd one is unbrearable.

3rd one is alright.

4th one is rough.

I'm making slow progress so far, because it's not doing a good job of holding my interest.  Only like 150 pages in more than a week later.

Most writers struggle writing sex scenes, and she's not an exception.  There's a lot of girls-who-bang-gods in the series so far.  It was a part of the first one, but this second one is pretty much a romance novel with magic and gods.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm making slow progress so far, because it's not doing a good job of holding my interest.  Only like 150 pages in more than a week later.

Most writers struggle writing sex scenes, and she's not an exception.  There's a lot of girls-who-bang-gods in the series so far.  It was a part of the first one, but this second one is pretty much a romance novel with magic and gods.

I was referring to Inheritence lol

Started on the Macht Series by Paul Kearney. 1st book is The Ten Thousand.

Half way through. Easily the best book of the year for me. To give an idea of what its like to this point. Think ASOIAF sellsword companies. Where Myr has hired and united a couple dozen of them to march on Volantis. 80% is the sellsword characters perspective, 10% Myr, 10% Volantis.

1 hour ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Bro, you talking about the Eragon series? Lol

I was, I was very confused that it was being brought up lol. Seemed a little YA for this board.

Like, I didn't mind the first one as a "Star Wars: A New Hope - but in medieval fantasy" deal, but god damn the rest of that sucked.

On 7/18/2020 at 10:35 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

1st one is good.

2nd one is unbrearable.

3rd one is alright.

4th one is rough.

I’m listening to them read on YouTube because I wanted people new to it’s input on it. I read the first three in my young teenage years and was over it by the time the last came out so I still have no idea how it ends. First is okay, he gets better as an author as the books go on but there’s a lot of nonsense and filler I don’t love. Hope 4th isn’t rough but the whole hairlip childbirth beginning so far is cumbersome 

On 7/25/2020 at 11:54 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

Started on the Macht Series by Paul Kearney. 1st book is The Ten Thousand.

Half way through. Easily the best book of the year for me. To give an idea of what its like to this point. Think ASOIAF sellsword companies. Where Myr has hired and united a couple dozen of them to march on Volantis. 80% is the sellsword characters perspective, 10% Myr, 10% Volantis.

It held up. 340 pages. 2 nations described, 2 major battles, 5 or so smaller ones depicted, 10 POVs followed. I dont know how so much was packed in 340 pages. But a fun, action packed, quick little read.

So, The Broken Kingsdoms picks up about halfway and becomes good, but then has a weak ending IMO.  It goes back to being pretty much a romance novel.  Not a big fan, might still read the third one to wrap it up, but I probably won't give it a long leash.