Serious question about Marcus and the QB situation

TitansFan13

Whats up guys? I was a member of the old forum (TitansFan4life).  Serious question and dont get me wrong i love Marcus and think he has a bright future but at what point do we give up on him if he cant stay healthy.   This is his 3rd year and he has been injured every year.  At what point do  the coaches move on or do you keep what you got and hope he can stay healthy?

I don't think we should give up on him, but I completely understand the concern.  The first 2 times, he took cheap shot to his knee and a guy fell on his leg.  That would've understandably injured anybody.  But if he starts having these Jake Locker or Arian Foster moments, then yes there is a HUGE concern for us.

I think we need to make a serious upgrade at backup QB.  Next offseason, we need to start for a younger QB (via FA or draft) who will know and accept his role as backup, but ready to step in and play when needed.  Tired of relying on these old dogs passed their prime with all the knowledge but little ability.

I wouldn’t give up on him but I’d make it a priority to have a good back and not just a veteran. If Marcus is going to be out here and there the Titans need to find a Billy Volek type to be honest I know it’s easier said than done but they need a guy that can play and move and not have to change the offense a ton for like they need to now for Cassel 

I don't we would give up on him ever. But we would invest in a quality back up or a higher draft pick to develop. 

He had shown you can win with him. If he never reaches elite so be it. But can he be a better Joe Flacco? I don't see why not. 

We are never giving up on Marcus. It took us 15 years or so to find a guy like him. He's had one guy try to ruin his knee and a freak injury caused by a huge man falling on his leg the wrong way. 

He is also a running QB. Running QBs get hurt. We just need a back up that can if need be win a game or 2. Thats it. 

This is all silly btw. A week ago we were going to playoffs with ease and one really bad loss (Which is getting overblown cause the score would've been close if not for Marcus going down) and a tweaked hammy and we suck we need to fire everyone and we might need to find a replacement for Marcus in a year or two. LOL

5 hours ago, VY-FTW said:

We are never giving up on Marcus. It took us 15 years or so to find a guy like him. He's had one guy try to ruin his knee and a freak injury caused by a huge man falling on his leg the wrong way. 

He is also a running QB. Running QBs get hurt. We just need a back up that can if need be win a game or 2. Thats it. 

This is all silly btw. A week ago we were going to playoffs with ease and one really bad loss (Which is getting overblown cause the score would've been close if not for Marcus going down) and a tweaked hammy and we suck we need to fire everyone and we might need to find a replacement for Marcus in a year or two. LOL

How is this silly?  I love Marcus as a player and i think he has every aspect of a franchise QB but if he cant stay healthy how is that helping?  I dont want to give up on him, i am more asking your guys opinion on how long a leash is on a QB who is hurt every year.

2 hours ago, TitansFan13 said:

How is this silly?  I love Marcus as a player and i think he has every aspect of a franchise QB but if he cant stay healthy how is that helping?  I dont want to give up on him, i am more asking your guys opinion on how long a leash is on a QB who is hurt every year.

Think of the longest leash you've ever seen and then triple that sucker in length! That's how long our leash is.

CPZ8QfMWIAA94yE.jpg

Comparing him to McNair is strange.  McNair was amazing, but wasn't exactly the perfect example of health.  He played 16 games 2 times as a Titan (3?)?  More importantly, he played hurt all the time... meaning he was hurt all the time, which lead to a shortened career.  When you see other QBs play into their late 30s and even into the 40's, he was gone from the Titans at 32 and out of the league at 34, almost broken beyond repair.  

I don't, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want to wish that kind of career on anyone.  

Players get hurt... it happens... Carr has been hurt, Stafford has been hurt (as mentioned above), Rothlisberger, Rodgers, Palmer... all have missed at least one game in multiple seasons.  Mariota missed 1 game last year... hasn't missed any games this year.  All this talk is more than a bit premature... 

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Players get hurt... it happens... Carr has been hurt, Stafford has been hurt (as mentioned above), Rothlisberger, Rodgers, Palmer... all have missed at least one game in multiple seasons.  Mariota missed 1 game last year... hasn't missed any games this year.  All this talk is more than a bit premature... 

Thank you

2 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Comparing him to McNair is strange.  McNair was amazing, but wasn't exactly the perfect example of health.  He played 16 games 2 times as a Titan (3?)?  More importantly, he played hurt all the time... meaning he was hurt all the time, which lead to a shortened career.  When you see other QBs play into their late 30s and even into the 40's, he was gone from the Titans at 32 and out of the league at 34, almost broken beyond repair.  

I don't, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want to wish that kind of career on anyone.  

I seriously don't understand why this has to be explained...

Having Mariota "tough it out" this week is not smart. He's shown he's plenty of tough to us and his teammates. It's not like he has to prove himself to his teammates, coaching staff or front office.

If he can play, that's great. And as much as it'd pain me to watch a full game of Cassel, if they want to give him 15 days to rest his hammy, that's cool too. This is still a long season and Mariota will hopefully have a long career. We've seen how the hamstring issues has knocked Corey Davis out for about half his rookie season, so why risk it with our franchise QB(some might not think he's earned that label yet but I do). 

It's why I don't get why the Raiders are rushing it with Carr's back injury (which is far more concerning imo than a hamstring injury).

Archived