Foles Discussion

dll2000

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Rodgers is killing it with his brain. 

The no fans (noise) and him getting to LOS with a lot of time on play clock is why that offense is dominating.  Also he is willing to play within structure of offense for first time in years.

LaFluer was genius this offseason in that he let Rodgers have a lot of input into offense in offseason and mollified his ego so it became HIS offense as much as LaFluers.   Now that he knows what LaFluer wants LaFluer is cool with him changing plays at LOS.  

The buy in from Rodgers was key.

And as it stands he and Mahomes are probably the two toughest QBs in the NFL to beat.  Mahomes is in the AFC so we seldom face him but we face Rodgers twice a year and now again without Fangio who always seemed to have Rodgers number or at least enough so to limit him.

So again I say any road to even the NFC Championship game winds through Cheeseville.  Win up there and we stand a chance.

1 minute ago, soulman said:

And as it stands he and Mahomes are probably the two toughest QBs in the NFL to beat.  Mahomes is in the AFC so we seldom face him but we face Rodgers twice a year and now again without Fangio who always seemed to have Rodgers number or at least enough so to limit him.

So again I say any road to even the NFC Championship game winds through Cheeseville.  Win up there and we stand a chance.

I understand Russel Wilson is having a nice year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

They also drafted Jordan Love, let's not forget the motivation for Rogers to stick it to them. I don't think that relationship is as warm as you think. I would feel exactly like Rogers, I would want to stick it to them. How long can they keep Rogers and Jordan Love? 2022?

Good question.  His cap jumps from $21.6 mil this year to $36.3 in 2021 and $39.9 in 2022.

My guess is as long as GB has a shot at winning a SB Rodgers will be there.  If they fall back from that they save anywhere from $22-$25 mil in cap by trading or releasing him in 2022 when after 3 seasons of apprenticing just as Rodgers did they can hope Love is ready to start.  So I'd say this year and next for certain.

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

How many shots have we taken at the QB? We could of had Rogers but we chose Cedric Benson as a running back. We stayed with Grossman for what reason? This organization does not invest enough in the offense consistently. We need to be drafting a QB every other year at a minimum. 

Yup.  As QBs go our mistakes farrrrrrrrrr out weigh our successes.

But crazy at it may seem though JA blew it with Rodgers I do believe we could have done far better with Cutler had we actually built and offense and a scheme around his strengths.  Even playing in Martz loony 10 year old scheme he had us on he door step of a Super Bowl that GB actually won.

Foles is coming in to a new team with limited practice reps and no offseason.  

Nobody is really excited (perception) because this is guy that Philly got rid of and then 'got beat out by Minshew'.   He hasn't really played great since historic SB run.

In reality he got hurt in Jacksonville and Jacksonville decided to rebuild and offer fire sales on its best players.  And Philly had issues and continues to have issues offensively.

BUT he is coming into a good overall team unlike he had in Jacksonville.  He has a good offensive coaching staff around him.  It's not impossible at all that he exceeds everyone's expectations.

There is some reason for optimism until shown otherwise over next couple of games.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah.

No way Foles could ever make it to the Super Bowl...

;)

5 hours ago, soulman said:

This year yes but IIRC we have beaten him at least once or twice.

I know they beat him in 2018. Amukamara's pick 6 iced it. I think that was the lone win. He really put himself on the map with a win in Chicago years back. I was there. It was a 60 degree December day, it went to OT and the Bears couldn't stop him if their lives depended on it.

1 hour ago, Pool said:

With this team? Agree completely! 😛 I feel like there may have been sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiightly more talent on that Philly offense than ours. 

That wasn't your position in the post I responded to. That's fine, I guess. 

My overall take on the team hasn't changed, the bulk of everyone else's on here has. If I end up being wrong, I'll freely admit it. But I'm not going to get into the same arguments perpetually. 

9 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

That wasn't your position in the post I responded to. That's fine, I guess. 

My overall take on the team hasn't changed, the bulk of everyone else's on here has. If I end up being wrong, I'll freely admit it. But I'm not going to get into the same arguments perpetually. 

Team is still talented enough to challenge for a playoff spot but will need a hit streak from Foles to contend for the Super Bowl, especially with top tier defenses we would have against our OL. They've fared well with below average defenses but I want to see decent play against a REAL defense. 

Odds are definitely against a deep run but I wont say it cant happen. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Big Picture

We need Foles to play well enough in 2020 that we can realistically start him outright in 2021 and let the rookie QB sit for an entire year.

Bears are in the no mans zone where they are too good to pick in top 2 or 3 for foreseeable future. 

They will likely have to trade up for #3 QB in class of 2021 or 2022 depending on Foles health or performance.  If Foles ends up having a great year they may ride him for another and worry about future later.   

No one is likely willing to give up top 2 prospects in any draft unless they just drafted one they like.

Alternatively they keep trying to field good teams paired with best available veterans on short deals.  

Detroit may want to reset on Stafford with a high draft pick.  Ditto Falcons may want to reset on Ryan.   Jets may get pick #1 and bounce Darnold.  Maybe Bears like one of 49ers QBs.   They both seem to play about equal.    Eagles may give up on Carson Wentz who is not playing well.  If Cowboys season goes south they may move on from Dak.  Jerry doesn't really like him.  Who knows what Patriots will do with Cam Newton.  Who knows what GB will do with Rodgers/Love situation.   

Some interesting decisions to be made on veteran market in near future.  

• Like 1