2021 NFL Draft Thread

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Zach Wilson is going to be so good. Sigh. 

Maybe, I still have him pegged in the good but thinks his ish don’t smell club like Cutler & Drew Lock which I don’t want as my QB. Although, I could be wrong and probably will be bc I thought Baker Mayfield wouldn’t mature and he has, you were right about that.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Zach Wilson is going to be so good. Sigh. 

Would love to be a fly on the wall during his interviews and chalkboard sessions. If he impresses in those, he’s a kid who could potentially make it to 7 or 8 that I would consider trading up for. 

Entirely possible he doesn’t make it that far. If you told me he was going #2 to NYJ, that wouldn’t shock me. But if he gets past Carolina (and to a lesser extent Atlanta), the next few teams in the current draft order aren’t really in the market for a QB. At that point, again assuming the current draft order holds, I think the biggest likelihood is that a couple teams in desperate need for a QB (NE, CHI, WFT, maybe IND) make a significant trade up for guys like Wilson and Lance if still there. Trask and Jones also, if individual teams fall in love. 

I almost never advocate for trading up. But if you see a QB that you think is a star in the making — and you trust your evaluation of his physical ability and mental acuity and character — there’s not much better use of draft picks than ensuring that you get your guy instead of getting left in the lurch or with a lesser option.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Man, we legit have nothing at QB next year. Like absolutely nothing. It’s unbelievable. 

Sadly, It’s not really anything new for this franchise. Outside of a handful of years since we last won the Super Bowl, that’s been the case. They have to fix this issue.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

Would love to be a fly on the wall during his interviews and chalkboard sessions. If he impresses in those, he’s a kid who could potentially make it to 7 or 8 that I would consider trading up for. 

Entirely possible he doesn’t make it that far. If you told me he was going #2 to NYJ, that wouldn’t shock me. But if he gets past Carolina (and to a lesser extent Atlanta), the next few teams in the current draft order aren’t really in the market for a QB. At that point, again assuming the current draft order holds, I think the biggest likelihood is that a couple teams in desperate need for a QB (NE, CHI, WFT, maybe IND) make a significant trade up for guys like Wilson and Lance if still there. Trask and Jones also, if individual teams fall in love. 

I almost never advocate for trading up. But if you see a QB that you think is a star in the making — and you trust your evaluation of his physical ability and mental acuity and character — there’s not much better use of draft picks than ensuring that you get your guy instead of getting left in the lurch or with a lesser option.

Exactly if your guy is there you trade up. If not maybe trade up a few spots for Davanta Smith. But Zach is the man. I do think he needs to get better with off script when it comes to protecting the ball but he’s def there. Still love Lance as well lol

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

ari gold friends GIF by HBO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Exactly if your guy is there you trade up. If not maybe trade up a few spots for Davanta Smith. But Zach is the man. I do think he needs to get better with off script when it comes to protecting the ball but he’s def there. Still love Lance as well lol

They’re growing on me some. Kind of reminds me how I was reluctant on RG3 until I saw him almost beat OU and saw him dominate in Baylor’s bowl game that year. I just hate that I can’t see more of Lance. Ugh 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

I would love that interview because honestly I think all this kid needs is to be around a NFL locker room and get into the weight room 10 pounds and being apart of a team that pushes him to improve I think this kids gold. He has a lot of raw talent I just wish I could get that interview and see if he processes the board and info like I think he does. He does a lot of things with their play calls I think he’s willing to do whatever to help his team win. He seems like he’s always having fun. And I’ve seen him get beat up and keep pushing the ball down the field through drops and other things. I like the makeup I really am curious what teams think about his wrecklace decisions at times!!! I really think there’s a chance a team falls in love and moves up. How far idk. I personally like him a lot because I think he’s slight can get even stronger and be even more dangerous. He’s still built like a kid I think he’s still getting there. A NFL workout program and getting into a locker room will do him so much. I could see him looking at a Terry and Gibson and being like woah okay I gotta do more!!! Just my opinion when I watch him play. 

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

They’re growing in me some. Kind of reminds me how I was reluctant on RG3 until I saw him almost beat OU and saw him dominate in Baylor’s bowl game that year. I just hate that I can’t see more of Lance. Ugh 🤦‍♂️ 

Me too!!! But him playing that feature game told me that if he could he would play and that’s something. To me he can only grow with his tools. To me it’s all about if he can grasp in mentally if he has that I’d not hesitate to select him if he’s mentally driven like a guy who runs like he does should be. To me he runs hard and throws harder!!! So for guys with that rocket mentality to me it’s either a slower process or they just don’t think let me feather this over the shoulder and throw with touch. It’s something that takes time to learn. Wilson is further ahead in touch for sure. But Lance is all world athlete. I’d have to talk to them both because I’m a fan of both. But What wilson has shown I think he’s alittle safer long term as Lance has to grow a lot to win without relying on his legs.

2 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Me too!!! But him playing that feature game told me that if he could he would play and that’s something. To me he can only grow with his tools. To me it’s all about if he can grasp in mentally if he has that I’d not hesitate to select him if he’s mentally driven like a guy who runs like he does should be. To me he runs hard and throws harder!!! So for guys with that rocket mentality to me it’s either a slower process or they just don’t think let me feather this over the shoulder and throw with touch. It’s something that takes time to learn. Wilson is further ahead in touch for sure. But Lance is all world athlete. I’d have to talk to them both because I’m a fan of both. But What wilson has shown I think he’s alittle safer long term as Lance has to grow a lot to win without relying on his legs.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 6:01 AM, turtle28 said:

If you’re the Jets do you trade down, pass on Fields and continue to build around Darnold? Or would you hit the reset button.

Depends on what the next head coach wants to do.

There will be teams who want to trade up for Fields.

They could trade down with Dallas or Carolina pick up an extra 2nd and future picks while then securing Jamar Chase, Micah Parsons or Gregory Rousseau.

If either of those two teams are getting their QB of the future, it needs to be more than just a second to do it, regardless of who the Jets end up selecting.

Dallas is in a good spot here. They’re in the range to trade up if the Jets want to trade down and pass on Fields while collecting other picks and future picks, or Dallas can just stay put and take Zach Wilson and let Dak walk. It’s not what I would do, I’d continue to build around Dak but, Dallas could do that. 

Dak as a free agent will have options obviously. We could sign him, the Patriots could sign him. The 49ers could/IMO should move on from Garapolo and sign Dak, leaving Garapolo to return to the Patriots & for Bill to get the QB back that he wanted to keep 3 years ago while moving on from Brady then. 

That leaves  Cam Newton to be available for Rivera/us should Rivera want to go that route. The question then is what would we do with Alex if he still wants to play? I guess he’s trade able even if it’s for just a late round pick. The Broncos could sign Dak even though I’d still build around Drew Lock and the Raiders could move on from Carr and sign Dak.  I’d continue to build around Carr, but not keeping car and moving on to another QB is definitely the Jon Gruden thing to do, that guy goes through QBs usually like I go through underwear.

The Bears could sign Dak for sure, adding him to that offense and then with that defense they’d have a Super Bowl Contender. If Brees retires - and he should after this latest awful injury - then Dak can go to the Saints and they’d remain a contender.

The quarterback carousel is going to be more interesting than usual this year, that's for sure.