2021 NFL Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, Troublez said:

Lol - you just hate it don't ya!? All these positive vibes ruining your curmudgeonry!

Bah humbug!! (*)

(*) I'm rolling with it (us playing our way into playoffs) man. But it's exactly what happened yesterday with the Jets that I and others were talking about earlier

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Shhh...don't you know? If you're a true fan you're not supposed to root for losses.

There’s a difference between being a bad team and tanking. We have legit been bad and when it mattered we were just bad enough to get rewarded with a Chase Young. I didn’t feel like we tanked last year I felt like the culture was horrid and it finally cost us. Luckily it cost us with a home town monster staring us in the face. Tanking is having a Peyton Manning and knowing he got surgery and not signing any backup level QB’s To replace him knowing the best prospect coming out was being compared to the likes of a Manning and Elway. This particular team has been in these positions on each of these years in previous decades as well. The lions didn’t tank for Stafford they legit sucked. The 49ers when they got Bosa had injury after injury and competed in each game until the end and were rewarded. The jets have played tougher in recent weeks you knew a win was coming eventually. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

There’s a difference between being a bad team and tanking. We have legit been bad and when it mattered we were just bad enough to get rewarded with a Chase Young. I didn’t feel like we tanked last year I felt like the culture was horrid and it finally cost us. Luckily it cost us with a home town monster staring us in the face. Tanking is having a Peyton Manning and knowing he got surgery and not signing any backup level QB’s To replace him knowing the best prospect coming out was being compared to the likes of a Manning and Elway. This particular team has been in these positions on each of these years in previous decades as well. The lions didn’t tank for Stafford they legit sucked. The 49ers when they got Bosa had injury after injury and competed in each game until the end and were rewarded. The jets have played tougher in recent weeks you knew a win was coming eventually. 

Agreed. Tanking or us for example would've been Mike Shanahan in 2011 cutting Grossman as well as McNabb and rolling with Jon Beck all year and a mid to late round QB backing him up or another journeyman so that we would've had the best shot to get Luck and at worst wouldn't have had to trade up for RG3 thus, keeping out 2012 second, 2013 first and 2014 first round picks. I've learned a lot about that process, as Thai and Woz I'm sure remember, I was proud out Grossman led team beat the Seahawks in Seattle in 2011 but that win didn't mean anything, it cost us a few spots in draft position and arguably cost us our 2014 first round draft pick which ended up being the #2 pick overall and we couldn't drafted Khalil Mack to replace Orakpo who we didn't re-sign that offseason.

I actually did not think the Jets would win this season and I certainly didn't think that they'd beat the Rams. Really, it's just one game and any given Sunday, but the loss looks really bad for McVay and especially Jared Goff. The Rams have just been an average team since they lost the Super Bowl to the Patriots two years ago. 

I will say this, that win shouldn't save Adam Gase's job - he should've never been hired in the first place and he should've been fired already - but, it may have saved Sam Darnold's spot as their starting QB for the time being. If I'm the Jets, I continue to try actually build a team around Darnold rather than trading him and taking Justin Fields. I think Darnold is a better QB prospect than Fields. I'd trade down with Dallas or Carolina - whoever wants Fields - take the draft capital and then take Ja'marr Chase, Micah Parsons, Gregory Rousseau, Caleb Farley or Patrick Surtain II.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

At no point did I advocate the players and coaches not give their best effort in the games. I wanted them to play well and develop themselves and the culture and lose close games. My position always was that we needed to find out what we had in Dwayne (or showcase him so we could trade him). If we won the division with him and he played well, that was our answer. If we didn't and he sucked, the saving grace was that we have the higher pick. The entire offseason was geared to not really put much in the tank for a "Win now". But switching gears and benching him and switching up to try to win games with Smith just to make the playoffs and get smacked AND missing out on Dwayne's replacement was stupid and could cost us long term for a short term gain. Example - If the Colts win one extra game the year before Manning comes out they miss out on a HOF QB. 

They chose the latter and I'm rolling with it. But it doesn't mean that what just happened to the Jets yesterday wasn't a punch in the nuts to their chances of getting Trevor. Meaningless win potentially costs them their franchise QB. That's a bad deal

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

At no point did I advocate the players and coaches not give their best effort in the games. I wanted them to play well and develop themselves and the culture and lose close games. My position always was that we needed to find out what we had in Dwayne (or showcase him so we could trade him). If we won the division with him and he played well, that was our answer. If we didn't and he sucked, the saving grace was that we have the higher pick. The entire offseason was geared to not really put much in the tank for a "Win now". But switching gears and benching him and switching up to try to win games with Smith just to make the playoffs and get smacked AND missing out on Dwayne's replacement was stupid and could cost us long term for a short term gain. Example - If the Colts win one extra game the year before Manning comes out they miss out on a HOF QB. 

They chose the latter and I'm rolling with it. But it doesn't mean that what just happened to the Jets yesterday wasn't a punch in the nuts to their chances of getting Trevor. Meaningless win potentially costs them their franchise QB. That's a bad deal

Oh I get it. I just didn’t think they’d lose out but for some strange reason they actually seem to like Gase and it’s just a mystery to me this guy has a HC job at this level. But it does have to suck being a fan watching that team do the things they are doing and then they win this week. Idk I just they can have whatever pick with Gase I think he’s one of the worse I can remember I know there’s others just as bad or worse but this guys horrible

• Like 1

Watched some OT Samuel Cosmi (Texas) today. I’m not traditionally a great evaluator of OL play, so I’d love for others to chime in if they get a chance to watch him (especially @naptownskinsfan with your background in OL stuff) — I’ll link the cutups I watched if anyone wants me to, they’re very convenient. My best friend is also a former D1 OT and D3 OL coach and OC, so I’ll be picking his brain on all these guys at some point if it turns out we’re in the teens and picking between the likes of Darrisaw, Cosmi, and Leatherwood. 

What I’m seeing is a guy who is a pretty natural pass protector. He has this sort of unusual technique where he doesn’t show his hands early — almost ever. It’s interesting, it’s almost like he’s refusing to give the defender a target to work off of. He can afford to do it because he has arms like vines and he moves pretty well in terms of mirroring and riding guys. It’s not like I saw him against a lot of future NFL stars, but he seemed to manage his guy pretty successfully on almost every pass set, and the speed rush was a complete non-starter. With those arms you damn near have to run around the block to get to the QB. 

My concern with the pass protection is that bigger, more explosive athletes are going to blow him away with power stuff. If you don’t use your hands to control them early and let guys get into your body, you’re dead against NFL-strong pass rushers. But that’s a technique thing — he’s raw in pass protection, but extremely gifted naturally, athletically he has everything you need to be a rock in that area.

Texas doesn’t do much interesting stuff in the run game. They do run some occasional outside zone and such, but typically it’s mostly either straight ahead or it’s some kind of deception play — end around, jet sweep, draw, etc. He doesn’t really flash in this area for me, you occasionally see him finish a guy when he gets under the pads, but it’s much more of a “get in their way” approach than a “drive them out of the play” approach. He doesn’t seem to have a great instinct on the zone runs, but again, he tends to be enough of an obstruction that he does his part.

In watching him, the comparison I’m struck with is someone like Taylor Decker from Detroit. When we played them, he had the long “no sack” streak going and it was really impressive how our pass-rushers just couldn’t get anything started against him. He was very clever, which Cosmi is not currently (you do see rare flashes of it), but that can come with time and coaching. Our guys just couldn’t find their way around him, and I think Cosmi has that kind of upside as a pass protector. But I don’t see him ever being a dominator in the run game, just based on how he plays, and that’s fairly Decker-like as well. 

Comparing him to Darrisaw and Leatherwood, who I currently see as the main competition for OT2-OT4, it’s a tough call. I haven’t watched either of them extensively enough yet, but my sense is that I think Cosmi has the most pass protection upside of the 3. He’s not the athlete that Darrisaw is, and he doesn’t have the technique or run game power that Leatherwood has. It’s kind of a pick your flavor, “what style are you looking for from the position?” type thing. Gun to my head, at this very moment, I’d probably take Darrisaw first, then Cosmi, then Leatherwood.

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

We legit need a healthy RB. We can do better he is talented but 2 tears UDFA for sure

Not sure if he makes it to UDFA but, I do agree I’d rather have a RB w/o that history after all the crap we’ve gone through w/ Guice & now Love.