A more geographically correct NFL realignment proposal

pf9

5 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Any teams that share a division could be rivals, even if some teams had to leave behind longtime rivalries in realignment. If the Dolphins had been moved into the AFC South with Baltimore, Jacksonville and Tennessee, they would at least have huge rivalries with the latter two by now - and wouldn't have had to face Tom Brady and the Patriots twice a year (the Dolphins are 12-24 against Brady). Thus, being moved out of the AFC East in 2002 might have benefited the Dolphins long-term, as members of the AFC East, they have only made the playoffs twice since realignment. They probably would have been in the playoffs more frequently as members of the AFC South.

Its not what the fans want though...

Like even though the Texans are the closest team to us, I dont want to be in the division with them. I want the (insert bad word) EAGLES!!!

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Its not what the fans want though...

Like even though the Texans are the closest team to us, I dont want to be in the division with them. I want the (insert bad word) EAGLES!!!

The Dolphins are currently the only Miami team that doesn't share their division with another Southeastern team. The Panthers and Marlins respectively have division rivals in Tampa Bay and Atlanta, and the Heat have Atlanta, Charlotte, and Orlando as division rivals.

It's about time the Dolphins move into the AFC South. The fans may not have liked losing the rivalries with the Bills, Jets and Patriots, but it would have made their 21st century fortunes a lot better if they competed in the AFC South since 2002.

Let's put it this way. The Dolphins' closest AFC East rival is in NYC. Under my alignment, their furthest division rival would be Baltimore - and they are closer to Miami than NYC is.

On 10/16/2020 at 5:31 PM, scar988 said:

I mean, if you want to get real freaky with it, I'd do this:

NFC East: Carolina Panthers, New York Giants, Washington FT, Philadelphia Eagles (Mid-Atlantic teams)

NFC South: Dallas Cowboys, Houston Texans, Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints (Deep South teams)

NFC North: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings (Perfect as is)

NFC West: Arizona Cardinals, L.A. Rams, S.F. 49ers, Seattle Seahawks (Perfect as is)

AFC East: Baltimore Ravens, New York Jets, New England Patriots, Buffalo Bills (moves Ravens back to where they should be)

AFC South: Tennessee Titans, Miami Dolphins, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (The FLORIDA Division)

AFC North: Indianapolis Colts, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers (The North with the Colts in the right spot)

AFC West: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Las Vegas Raiders, L.A. Chargers (Perfect as is)

I'd flip the Falcons and Titans

5 hours ago, pf9 said:

The Dolphins are currently the only Miami team that doesn't share their division with another Southeastern team. The Panthers and Marlins respectively have division rivals in Tampa Bay and Atlanta, and the Heat have Atlanta, Charlotte, and Orlando as division rivals.

It's about time the Dolphins move into the AFC South. The fans may not have liked losing the rivalries with the Bills, Jets and Patriots, but it would have made their 21st century fortunes a lot better if they competed in the AFC South since 2002.

Let's put it this way. The Dolphins' closest AFC East rival is in NYC. Under my alignment, their furthest division rival would be Baltimore - and they are closer to Miami than NYC is.

As a Dolphins fan I have long supported a geographical realignment. But it is loudly opposed on Dolphin sites and social media. They love despising the Jets and since the Jets are easy pickins right now they want it to continue.

However, if the Dolphins are moved it has to be alongside Tampa Bay and Jacksonville. It would be butchery to place them in a South division without the other Florida teams. The cultural fit simply is not there. For example, the Canes in the ACC doesn't feel right at all. It is a frequent complaint among Canes fans and I share it. I enjoy visiting those campuses in the Carolinas and Virginia and attending Canes road games. But in no fashion does it feel like we fit in that conference. That's why Miami fans have a difficult time calling any of them a rivalry. Contrast to last season when I attended Canes at Pittsburgh and the prior year Canes at Boston College. That did feel right. Those are former members of the Big East when Miami was also in the Big East. 

One of the reasons Dolphin fans are comfortable with Jets, Bills and Patriots is that those do feel like cultural fits, even if the geography is way off. There are tons of northern transplants in South Florida and also snowbirds for the winter. Those fans always have huge presence at Dolphin home games against the division foes. 

Georgia is shifting fast enough. Atlanta is a very diverse city. I'd like to see Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay and Atlanta. 

Edited by Awsi Dooger

I think to do this properly you have take away the NFC and AFC first and look at it through that view.

West candidates: Rams, Chargers, Raiders, Niners, Seahawks, Cardinals, Broncos, Cowboys, Texans

East candidates: Patriots, Jets, Giants, Bills, Eagles, Football Team, Ravens, Steelers, Panthers

North candidates: Packers, Vikings, Lions, Bears, Steelers, Bengals, Browns, Colts, Chiefs

South candidates: Dolphins, Texans, Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Jaguars, Titans, Panthers, Chiefs

A few teams could fit multiple regions, but going from West to East, you'd take Dallas over Houston, which puts them in the South. The Chiefs are almost in no-mans land, so we'll put them wherever we need them. Panthers could be East, but I like the other teams for the East already, so bounce them to the South. With the Steelers in the East, that puts the Chiefs in the North. So the output would be:

West: Rams, Chargers, Raiders, Niners, Seahawks, Cardinals, Broncos, Cowboys

East: Patriots, Jets, Giants, Bills, Eagles, FT, Ravens, Steelers

North: Packers, Vikings, Lions, Bears, Bengals, Browns, Colts, Chiefs

South: Dolphins, Texans, Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Jaguars, Titans, Panthers

To preserve rivalries where you can, you get:

NFC West: Rams, Niners, Cardinals, Cowboys - Dallas and SF have a nice rivalry, also bring some flavor back for the Cardinals/Cowboys from the NFC East days. Rams/Niners preserved, and Rams/Cowboys have met in the playoffs more than any other teams

AFC West: Raiders, Chargers, Broncos, Seahawks - shooting them back to the AFC where these teams shared a division together for a long time

NFC East: Giants, Eagles, Steelers, Ravens - wanted to keep Giants/Eagles and Ravens/Steelers

AFC East: Patriots, Bills, Jets, Football Team - obviously not ideal but with their rebranding soon, good time to do it

NFC North: Packers, Bears, Lions, Vikings

AFC North: Browns, Bengals, Colts, Chiefs - great for everyone except the Chiefs, although this travel is better than their current situation

NFC South: Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Panthers

AFC South: Texans, Dolphins, Titans, Jaguars

17 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

NFC West: Rams, Niners, Cardinals, Cowboys - Dallas and SF have a nice rivalry, also bring some flavor back for the Cardinals/Cowboys from the NFC East days. Rams/Niners preserved, and Rams/Cowboys have met in the playoffs more than any other teams

AFC West: Raiders, Chargers, Broncos, Seahawks - shooting them back to the AFC where these teams shared a division together for a long time

But... But... what about my Cardinals vs. Seahawks?

6 hours ago, animaltested said:

Swapping Arizona with the LA Chargers makes the most sense:

NFC WEST - Seattle Seahawks, LA Rams, LA Chargers, SF 49ers [All PST]

AFC WEST - Arizona, Las Vegas, KC, Denver [3 MST, 1 CST]

The NFC already has most of the big market teams, the AFC isn't going to trade off where it gets the smaller market. Also if teams share the same market it seems the NFL doesn't want them sharing conferences.

Edited by DigInBoys

if it saves on travelling time etc, it makes sense. Rivalries would be gone, but I suppose create new ones. All it takes is 2 teams battling for the division that are good teams and both that are willing to break the rules with cheap shots in the processB| Thats football, or used to be I was told.

I would miss the Ravens rivalry, but it's not what it was 10-15 years ago.

7 hours ago, animaltested said:

Swapping Arizona with the LA Chargers makes the most sense:

NFC WEST - Seattle Seahawks, LA Rams, LA Chargers, SF 49ers [All PST]

AFC WEST - Arizona, Las Vegas, KC, Denver [3 MST, 1 CST]

Vegas is actually Pacific Time Zone

If anybody tries to suggest the Colts and Packers end up in the same division/conference, you’re getting some very bad energy from me. 

Realistically, when the realignment happened the Colts should have stayed in the East and the Dolphins moved to the South. But I get it. 

The Colts ended up with the old Oilers, the “new Oilers” and a young expansion franchise (Jaguars had only played 7 seasons at that point) which fell right in line with Manning hitting his peak super powers.

I would rather have seen Brady and Manning in the same division for that whole span but I also remember being tired out of the debate. If you think this thread pops up too often you have no idea what that time period was like around here. 

1 minute ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

If anybody tries to suggest the Colts and Packers end up in the same division/conference, you’re getting some very bad energy from me. 

Realistically, when the realignment happened the Colts should have stayed in the East and the Dolphins moved to the South. But I get it. 

The Colts ended up with the old Oilers, the “new Oilers” and a young expansion franchise (Jaguars had only played 7 seasons at that point) which fell right in line with Manning hitting his peak super powers.

I would rather have seen Brady and Manning in the same division for that whole span but I also remember being tired out of the debate. If you think this thread pops up too often you have no idea what that time period was like around here. 

Actually, Colts would make more sense in the AFC North. Indiana borders a state with two AFC North teams - and one of those teams has a direct Interstate connection to Indy via I-74. Those who wanted the Browns, Bengals, Colts and Steelers together would have seen Big Ben and Peyton in the same division for years.