Ravens trade for Yannick Ngakoue

SalvadorsDeli

EDC has always wanted this guy and now he's got him. I believe what pushed him over the edge was the Chiefs game. We're not beating that team unless we can put pressure Mahomes. 

Mixing it up and only rushing 3 or 4 is good against him too. Yannick adds an elite rusher and its an all around good thing. I can not wait. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel

9 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Can Bowser play inside? I feel our best four LBs are Yannick, Judon, Queen, and Bowser. 

I guess he could, but outside of the occasional RACECAR package, I don't think playing him as an off-ball LB is the best use of his skill set

36 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I believe what pushed him over the edge was the Chiefs game. We're not beating that team unless we can put pressure Mahomes. 

Not that I disagree with your overall gist. But I can’t help but feel we’ve likely been in on all of the Yannick deals but the price was just too high for our cajones. Had we been willing to offer Jax the same deal, they likely rejected until they got the 2nd+ conditional 5th they stood to gain... our 3rd + conditional 4th/5th would’ve been quite easily trumped.

Now also what likely helped contribute to this circumstance was the fact that the Vikings couldn’t engage in a sign and trade with the Jags considering that deadline had already passed. Meaning they couldn’t rely on the fact that they had Yannick already locked up to fall back on regardless of team circumstance.

Thus once the team imploded as the season went along, they likely KNEW they had no shot at retaining Yannick and needed to recoup as much as they could. They likely would’ve gotten a compensatory 3rd regardless, which set the negotiation floor at that point.

So considering two things the Ravens likely had a leg up in the deal:

The first being that the Vikings had diminished trade partners considering that non-contending teams to this point have to consider their chances of being low of resigning Yannick after the season and aren’t going to give up team building resources for such a gamble only to end up wasting the pick (as the Seahawks with Clowney). Furthermore along this path, while all contenders are ever looking to improve their team, most of the top contending teams were either more cash strapped than the Ravens OR they already have their elite pass rushers on their team and thus not in the market for such a piece.

The second piece benefiting the Ravens was proximity and defensive scheme. I’m sure many teams poking in on Yannick as a trade option, would’ve demanded their be conditional pieces in the deal. The conditions in this case were 1st ballot PB to determine if we’re giving up a 5th or 4th. Well if this is a structure they were willing to present with other teams, than the Vikings would be incentivized greatly by finding Yannick a destination that he would enjoy playing for (though the contract motivation was likely enough anyway for him to produce but still) and get defensive action and acclaim quickly so as to upgrade the pick. You’d have to think the Ravens would be atop such a list of top defensive destinations for edge guys to activate. Then to sweeten the deal, Yannick was from MD and is deeply familiar with the area?

So in short, I don’t know if the Chiefs game had as much to do with this as the Ravens just never found the Jaguars desperate enough to take only a 3rd+ for Yannick, but circumstance found the Vikings in such a position. But I admit, there’s no way to know exactly what was the EXACT driving indicator. 

19 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I guess he could, but outside of the occasional RACECAR package, I don't think playing him as an off-ball LB is the best use of his skill set

That and we’ve gotten good play from our ILBs, LJ Fort especially. It would be difficult to bench those guys for Bowser. Though perhaps if Malik Harrison continues to struggle some as he has in the last couple games, perhaps Bowser could convince the coaches to work some extra reps in there. Who knows?

21 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He's lined up inside before and dropped into coverage plenty, but if you're planning for the future, Bowser is our starting OLB next year once Judon is gone.

Would that also include Yannick? Because Yannick and Bowser are both quite light (~245 lbs). I like them both but if they are both bookends, I don't know if there is enough beef to hold up against the run.  

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

Would that also include Yannick? Because Yannick and Bowser are both quite light (~245 lbs). I like them both but if they are both bookends, I don't know if there is enough beef to hold up against the run.  

That's why we have guys like Ferguson and Jihad Ward - to play the early downs.

Mentioned this in the NFL News thread just now but cool thing about Ngakoue is that despite being a 5 year vet he's only 25 years old - he's 3 years younger than Judon despite coming from the same draft class. On top of just being the superior player gotta think the organization is gonna feel a lot better about giving a long-term extension to him considering even a 5 year deal only takes him through his age-30 season, whereas Judon would already be 29 by the time he started playing on a new contract. 

Good example of why people have been paying attention to/valuing draft-age a lot more in recent years. 

• Like 1