Proposal: Trade for Matt Stafford

bionicsuperfreak

11 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

The issue is Detroit never bothered to help their QB out.

Nope. It’s not like Detroit didn’t have Calvin Johnson, or sign Marvin Jones or Golden Tate, draft Kenny Golladay. They didn’t use two top 10 picks on tight ends, or draft 4 running backs in the first two rounds. Or use 4 first round picks on offensive linemen. 

Narratives are funny things. 

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Nope. It’s not like Detroit didn’t have Calvin Johnson, or sign Marvin Jones or Golden Tate, draft Kenny Golladay. They didn’t use two top 10 picks on tight ends, or draft 4 running backs in the first two rounds. Or use 4 first round picks on offensive linemen. 

A good OL, a defense that doesn't force them to score 40+ just to win a game, a competent coaching staff?

Yeah, narratives are hilarious. 

I'll give you the Tight Ends though. Sure, it doesn't move the needle forward at all for the team, but at least the QB can put up stats. I'll admit to being partially wrong here.

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think it was a culture thing more than anything. Ironic that the best coach the Lions have had was Caldwell, got them to the playoffs twice and he was canned after four years or so. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

The Stafford and Goff contracts in terms of money are almost identical.  Stafford is 32 and Goff is 26.  Goff has four years left on his current contract Stafford has two.  So why would the Lions get two 1st rounders and a 3rd rounder?  I could see maybe one of those draft picks thrown in but not all three.  What a deal, get a younger QB and get all those picks.  

Stafford is the better player but he is a lot older and unless he plays for another 8 years which is a question mark, not sure why all the picks were thrown into the mix honestly.  

They are not almost identical. The guarantees if Goff’s deal are much higher than Stafford’s. 

The Rams will be paying Stafford $20M next year and $16M the year after that. None of it guaranteed beyond normal vested veteran guarantees. 

The Lions will be paying Goff $28.175M, pretty much all guaranteed next year, $26.150M the year after with $15.5M guaranteed, $25.65M in 2023, and $26.65M in 2024.

The Rams are going all in on a two year window, and paid a draft pick premium for more salary cap flexibility. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Wow!  It looks like @bionicsuperfreak has been vindicated.  What a call on the value of Stafford!  I stand corrected, and in awe of how close bionicsuperfreak was in his suggestion. 

The trade that sent quarterback Matthew Stafford from the Lions to the Rams potentially becomes relevant to any eventual trade talks involving Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson. It shouldn’t.

Sure, the Texans may try to argue that, if Stafford is worth two first-round picks and a third-round pick, Watson is worth more than Herschel Walker. But the reality is that the Lions got those picks because they absorbed Jared Goff’s Osweilerian contract. Without taking Goff off the Rams’ books, the Lions would get a lot less than two ones and a three.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/31/the-matthew-stafford-trade-shouldnt-affect-deshaun-watsons-trade-value/

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The trade that sent quarterback Matthew Stafford from the Lions to the Rams potentially becomes relevant to any eventual trade talks involving Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson. It shouldn’t.

Sure, the Texans may try to argue that, if Stafford is worth two first-round picks and a third-round pick, Watson is worth more than Herschel Walker. But the reality is that the Lions got those picks because they absorbed Jared Goff’s Osweilerian contract. Without taking Goff off the Rams’ books, the Lions would get a lot less than two ones and a three.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/31/the-matthew-stafford-trade-shouldnt-affect-deshaun-watsons-trade-value/

That's probably very true.  I wonder how much more it was worth for them to give up to get rid of Goff's contract?

20 hours ago, vike daddy said:

I read that as 'orwellian' at first haha. That's a good point.

I wonder if going forward if we'll see more and more "Osweilerian" trades happening.

23 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Honestly, why? 

Name one thing that he’s better at than Cousins besides losing

Leadership of players that are far less talented than any Vikings squad keeping them competitive and pulling off a few 4th quarter comebacks.  I think Stafford, with the level  of talent Cousins has had around him, would have had double digit wins this season.

1 minute ago, Virginia Viking said:

Leadership of players that are far less talented than any Vikings squad keeping them competitive and pulling off a few 4th quarter comebacks.  I think Stafford, with the level  of talent Cousins has had around him, would have had double digit wins this season.

We would have seen a near identical season to the one we just had, in my opinion, with Stafford at QB. Offensive talent has never been in the issue with Detroit (outside of RB til recently). They’ve been held back by their defense. Just like we were this year; Stafford does nothing to fix, or mitigate, the two biggest issues on the team. The OL and the defense. 

• Like 1