Proposal: Trade for Matt Stafford

bionicsuperfreak

11 minutes ago, RpMc said:

We would have seen a near identical season to the one we just had, in my opinion, with Stafford at QB. Offensive talent has never been in the issue with Detroit (outside of RB til recently). They’ve been held back by their defense. Just like we were this year; Stafford does nothing to fix, or mitigate, the two biggest issues on the team. The OL and the defense. 

I think Vikings offense outside of QB is better than DET. DET didn't have their #1 WR the whole year basically. 

Stafford on Vikings last year & there would have been a higher W total. 

49 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I think Vikings offense outside of QB is better than DET. DET didn't have their #1 WR the whole year basically. 

Probably true given that Cousins was miserable the first month of the year. 

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

And the years the Lions had their full allotment of offense talent? How far did Stafford get them? Yes, I agree our offensive talent was above Detroit last year, but again, the offense hasn’t been in the issue in Detroit. 

With Stafford, and a good amount of offensive talent, they’ve had two seasons above ten wins, three playoff appearances, and zero playoff wins in his 11 years.

There’s nothing Stafford could have done, that Cousins didn’t, to help mitigate poor offensive line and defensive play. There’s 11 years evidence behind that.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Seeing the reports of Carolina offering pick 8, I’m really surprised that they turned that pick down. 

A current top 10 pick seems a lot more valuable than two future first rounders from a playoff team. Not to mention not having to take on Goff. 

My thoughts as well.  Lions would have had picks 7 + 8 this year, another later pick from Carolina as well.

Makes me think that they maybe like Trey Lance?  Have him behind Goff for the two remaining years of guaranteed money on Goff's contract, and have two first round picks in each of the next two years to surround Lance with more talent.

Just now, RpMc said:

My thoughts as well.  Lions would have had picks 7 + 8 this year, another later pick from Carolina as well.

Makes me think that they maybe like Trey Lance?  Have him behind Goff for the two remaining years of guaranteed money on Goff's contract, and have two first round picks in each of the next two years to surround Lance with more talent.

Lance or Fields 

37 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Lance or Fields 

While I certainly don't rule it out, I'd still be somewhat surprised to see the Lions draft a QB this year.  I think the prudent move would be to see what they have in Goff first (yes, I know the GM knows what he can do) before tying their hands with a young QB and not building up talent elsewhere first.  Personally, I think it'd be better for them to get one of the top-tier defensive players or an offensive lineman.  Their defense is pretty bad, so I'd start there.

On 2/1/2021 at 8:31 AM, RpMc said:

Looks like a first and a pick in the third round, or later depending on how high the first round pick was, to get Stafford.  The Rams paid a whole extra first round pick to get rid of Goff.

Are first round picks 2 and 3 years down the road worth that much more than the current 8th overall?

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Are first round picks 2 and 3 years down the road worth that much more than the current 8th overall?

Only if they're betting that the Rams' experiment fails.  And who would know better than the guy that used to work in the office?  

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

If you wanted an NFL caliber QB while you decide to do long term, yes. 

Lions wanted Goff, as Swede mentioned, their guy was the director of college scouting when the Rams drafted Goff. 

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

If you wanted an NFL caliber QB while you decide to do long term, yes. 

Lions wanted Goff, as Swede mentioned, their guy was the director of college scouting when the Rams drafted Goff. 

That doesn't sound like they got a first to take on the contract then