Proposal: Trade for Matt Stafford

bionicsuperfreak

Just now, swede700 said:

I don't think it's necessarily a requirement, but you'd like to have the QB be a little more mobile within the pocket even than Cousins.  Brady, at a decade older, is probably even more mobile within the pocket than Cousins is and as you said, he gets the ball out much quicker too, which has helped him.  If Kirk could just make his decisions quicker, he'd probably have more success himself.    

Sounds like we need a QB who’s a better decision maker then. 

16 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Why’s being more mobile a requirement? I don’t think a lack of mobility has really hurt Cousins. He’s got other issues for sure, just don’t see him on the lower tier of being an immobile QB. He could be more decisive and get the ball out quickly, that’s helped Brady and Brees. Would be great go find an Allen, Watson or Mahomes who can do it all but that’s easier said than done. 

The offensive line does not pass protect well.  That coupled, with Cousins mediocre mobility and slow release of the ball, means that he is caught behind the line of scrimmage more often than is acceptable.  The league seems to be going more and more to double threat quarterbacks.  The Vikings should move that direction as well as the oline is likely never to improve pass protecting during Cousins reign as the starter.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

The offensive line does not pass protect well.  That coupled, with Cousins mediocre mobility and slow release of the ball, means that he is caught behind the line of scrimmage more often than is acceptable.  The league seems to be going more and more to double threat quarterbacks.  The Vikings should move that direction as well as the oline is likely never to improve pass protecting during Cousins reign as the starter.

And the reality is that offensive line play throughout the league is bad...the Vikings are not alone in that regard, it's just more evident because of Kirk's awkward and limited mobility and slow decision-making.  For example, you watch the Chiefs' offensive line.  They aren't great...they are passable, but due to Mahomes' mobility, they look better than they really are.  Teams need either a really mobile QB or they need one that can get the ball out quickly.  Kirk isn't really good at either one, but is still moderately successful because he has really good accuracy...but will take sacks because of his limits.  Mahomes and the Chiefs are great because he has all 3, mobility, quickness and accuracy.  Kirk only has 1, so the deficiencies in offensive line play are magnified.  

3 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I think he could get a little bit better at making the decision to just tuck it and run and get what he can. He had a few nice plays like that throughout the year. He's mobile enough to move the chains with his feet if need be.

I'm not sure that Cousins will ever play as well as he did this year again.  I think his ceiling has been reached.

53 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I'm not sure that Cousins will ever play as well as he did this year again.  I think his ceiling has been reached.

Let’s not forget how bad he was to start the year and he was still amongst the league leaders in Ints. In all likelihood he’s peaked, but if he played better to start the year the Vikes would have made the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

He may not, but as long as it's not as bad as his first year here, the defense will be improved enough to compensate, so they'll be in the mix.    

27 minutes ago, moss_is_1 said:

How much of an upgrade, if any, is Stafford to Cousins? I don't see  the point in using assets to trade for him. Use those picks to beef up our O-line / D-line. 

To me, he's not.  I said as much on Twitter when Ron Johnson posed the question about comparing Cousins to several of the other QBs that are available or potentially available.  To me, at this point, there is little to no difference between Stafford and Cousins.

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

To me, he's not.  I said as much on Twitter when Ron Johnson posed the question about comparing Cousins to several of the other QBs that are available or potentially available.  To me, at this point, there is little to no difference between Stafford and Cousins.

I agree, Stafford and Cousins are in that same tier. They both put up great numbers and look the part but seem to be held back from ever taking a meaningful leap their current peaks.

The only available QB that i would be interested in going after, to replace Cousins, is Watson. Watson is much better and younger. However, the cost would be astronomical, likely Cousins and two first round picks as the starting point, but probably well worth it. Watson, Jefferson, Thielen and Cook would make for an exciting offense and the OL will probably be much less of a concern.

But how do we improve the defense without first round picks in 2021 and 2022? 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 12:17 PM, Virginia Viking said:

I like Staffords toughness and his ability to be clutch, but the Vikings need to get younger and more mobile at the quarterback position.  Stafford can't offer those elements.

That's why it would be better to go after Deshaun Watson, especially if they can dump off Cousins onto The 49ers, Jets, or maybe even The Patriots, or Colts (albeit for almost nothing). 

While Kirk is not the answer for the Vikings, I sure wouldn't view Matthew Stafford as being worth 2 first round picks more than Cousins.  Stafford would be slightly better, but nowhere near that much better.  If the Vikings were to give up 2 first round picks for another QB, they might as well put together a package of picks and trade up for the #2 or #3 pick in the draft and get a young QB they believe in.