Proposal: Trade for Matt Stafford

bionicsuperfreak

3 hours ago, bionicsuperfreak said:

You can't trade him this year. OTC.

You can't trade him after March 20, 2021. 2022 salary becomes guaranteed.

Must trade before March 20, 2021. Resulting in dead money of $41m.

Who cares if his 2022 salary becomes guaranteed?  Guaranteed salary doesn't accelerate into the cap if he's traded, only if he's cut.  His new team would take on his guaranteed salary.

Your original trade proposal is a huge miss.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Who cares if his 2022 salary becomes guaranteed?  Guaranteed salary doesn't hit the cap if he's traded, only if he's cut.  His new team would take on his guaranteed salary.

Correct, trading Cousins right now would result in net dead money of $14.2M assuming they roll over the $5.8M of cap savings from this year into next year.

Compare that to the $31M cap number the team has if they keep Cousins and you see a '21 cap savings of almost $16M if the team trades Cousins right now. If the Vikings could find anyone at all to take Cousins they should do it ASAP even if they get no more in return than relief from that contract.

A team desperate for a QB could afford Cousins this year as most of his pay this year was already paid out by the Vikings as a signing bonus. His new team would only need $3.7M in cap room this year to take on Cousins. Hopefully their desperation this year blinds them to Cousins' future contract but $21M next year really isn't terrible for a QB of Cousins caliber either.

It might be hard to trade Cousins but certainly not impossible. After all, the Eagles once found a team willing to give them a 1st and 4th round pick for Sam Bradford. There are GMs that make rash decisions when desperate.

Edited by Cearbhall

27 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Correct, trading Cousins right now would result in net dead money of $14.2M assuming they roll over the $5.8M of cap savings from this year into next year.

Compare that to the $31M cap number the team has if they keep Cousins and you see a '21 cap savings of almost $16M if the team trades Cousins right now. If the Vikings could find anyone at all to take Cousins they should do it ASAP even if they get no more in return than relief from that contract.

A team desperate for a QB could afford Cousins this year as most of his pay this year was already paid out by the Vikings as a signing bonus. His new team would only need $3.7M in cap room this year to take on Cousins. Hopefully their desperation this year blinds them to Cousins' future contract but $21M next year really isn't terrible for a QB of Cousins caliber either.

It might be hard to trade Cousins but certainly not impossible. After all, the Eagles once found a team willing to give them a 1st and 4th round pick for Sam Bradford. There are GMs that make rash decisions when desperate.

Basically any division leading team with little to no backup QB may be desperate....we can only wish....

It doesn't matter if it's for a 5th rounder....if you can get rid of him, DO IT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Basically any division leading team with little to no backup QB may be desperate....we can only wish....

It doesn't matter if it's for a 5th rounder....if you can get rid of him, DO IT.

With how bad the NFC East is, you’d think Dallas would jump all over this. Might only need seven wins for that division. That surely would send a curious message to Prescott, but I’m not convinced he’s really part of their plans anyway. 

2 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Well their aren't any GMs willing to get fleeced for a fringe starting QB. Well, one GM, but he works for Minnesota.

I'm looking at you, Sam Bradford.

• Like 1

I've generally liked Stafford.  However, I don't think he's a fit for what the Vikings are seemingly planning to do, which is to get both younger and cheaper.

16 hours ago, bionicsuperfreak said:

Having 8 years of Cook and Stafford is more important than Harrison Smith.

Stafford isn't going to play for 8 more years.  With his wife's health situation and his own, I doubt he even plays more than 3 more years.  I think Harrison may be able to play at least that, if he wishes to do.

Edited by swede700

4 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

That original post makes ZERO sense. 

True story. I wasn't more than a couple sentences into it when I read that the Vikings can't trade Cousins because of cap ramifications and got hung up on that since cap ramifications is not at all the reason the team can't trade Cousins. But yeah, beyond that it still was hard to see the sense.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

True story. I wasn't more than a couple sentences into it when I ready that the Vikings can't trade Cousins because of cap ramifications and got hung up on that since cap ramifications is not at all the reason the team can't trade cousins. But yeah, beyond that it still was hard to see the sense.

On top of that two 1sts for Stafford? Zach Ertrz?

Rambling upon rambling.

So it sounds like what we would be doing is making the following deal:

Minnesota Gets:
Matthew Stafford
2021 Third Round Pick

Detroit Gets:
Kirk Cousins
2021 First Round Pick
2022 First Round Pick
2022 Third Round Pick

Here is the thing.  I like Matthew Stafford as a quarterback.  I also wouldn't mind getting rid of Kirk Cousins.  At the same time, giving up what amounts to two first's and a third would be MASSIVELY overpaying for what Stafford likely has left in the tank.  I just don't see it happening.

As for Harrison Smith, I'm not sure where he needs to come into the equation, since we would be trading him to Pittsburgh.  I actually wouldn't mind trading him for a 2nd round pick, but it would be nice if we could find a trade partner who is going to be picking higher in the round than Pittsburgh likely will.

Verdict:

Stafford Deal - BIG NO.

Smith Deal - Maybe.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

So it sounds like what we would be doing is making the following deal:

Minnesota Gets:
Matthew Stafford
2021 Third Round Pick

Detroit Gets:
Kirk Cousins
2021 First Round Pick
2022 First Round Pick
2022 Third Round Pick

Here is the thing.  I like Matthew Stafford as a quarterback.  I also wouldn't mind getting rid of Kirk Cousins.  At the same time, giving up what amounts to two first's and a third would be MASSIVELY overpaying for what Stafford likely has left in the tank.  I just don't see it happening.

As for Harrison Smith, I'm not sure where he needs to come into the equation, since we would be trading him to Pittsburgh.  I actually wouldn't mind trading him for a 2nd round pick, but it would be nice if we could find a trade partner who is going to be picking higher in the round than Pittsburgh likely will.

Verdict:

Stafford Deal - BIG NO.

Smith Deal - Maybe.

All of that is almost more nonsensical than the Herschel Walker trade was at the time.

• Like 1