Week 8 Games

Leader

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Wow, Atlanta actually held on.  That just goes to show, the Panthers suck too.

Ehhhhh, you gotta remember a couple things here....

Jon Gruden did zero favors to Morris.  He did to the Buccaneers what he's currently doing to the Raiders, which is loading up on non premium position. 

Leading up to Morris taking over, the Buccaneers and first round picks:

2002 - No first round pick
2003 - No first round pick
2004 - Michael Clayton (WR) 15th overall.  LOL.  A WR 15th overall and you're asking to pick top 5 in the next couple years.
2005 - Cadillac Williams (RB) 5th overall.  LOL.  A RB top ten and you're asking to pick top ten again the next season.
2006 - Davin Joseph (G) 23rd overall.  LOL.  A guard in the first round and you're asking to pick 4th overall next season.
2007 - Gaines Adams (DE) 4th overall.  The first good decision they make with a first round pick and he's a hard bust.
2008 - Aquib Talib.  One.  One single good selection and use of a first round pick in 8 years.

Then, in Morris' first year, he gets Josh Freeman. 

So that's their nucleus. 

Look at this 2009 roster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers_season#Final_roster

Morris managed to win 10 games with this 2010 roster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers_season#Final_roster

Then 2011 comes, the two good players (Talib and McCoy) on the roster go on IR.  Freeman is still their QB. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers_season#Final_roster

They go 4-12, Tampa Bay ownership fires Morris for... Greg Schiano.

He wins 7 games, then 4 games.
Lovie Smith wins 2 games.  Then 6 games.
Then there's that weird power struggle and Lovie Smith suddenly gets fired to be replaced by Dirk Koetter. 
Koetter goes 9-7, 5-11, 5-11.
Bruce Arians is hired.  Goes 7-9.

Moral of the story is that Morris is a good coach.
Buccaneers are a terrible franchise.
Brady's gonna find out that all the offensive weapons in the world won't save him in the playoffs when he has to play the NFC lineup instead of the AFC lineup, then the Ravens or the Chiefs. 

On 10/28/2020 at 4:13 PM, packfanfb said:

Do we want Chicago (5-2) or New Orleans (4-2) to win? Probably Saints right? 

yep, Saints.

Helps us win the division, and i want the Saints in the playoffs. We match up well against them.

If Chicago can miss the playoffs entirely (it might be close...a 10-6 team could be shut out), that would be hilarious

On 10/30/2020 at 10:01 AM, Outpost31 said:

Moral of the story is that Morris is a good coach.
Buccaneers are a terrible franchise.
Brady's gonna find out that all the offensive weapons in the world won't save him in the playoffs when he has to play the NFC lineup instead of the AFC lineup, then the Ravens or the Chiefs. 

I don't mean to harp on ya, but that whole mess of a post of yours is off the mark. I just quoted the last little bit.... As I stated earlier, I live i the Tampa Bay area. I don't read about the Bucs, I just know 'em.

Yeah- offensive weapons suck. Imagine how much better the Chiefs would be if they didn't have such amazing offensive weapons!- 😎

Morris was a lousy coach for the Bucs... Not really his fault. He was thrust into the HC job too early after Gruden's sudden departure. Long story short, he let the players do whatever they wanted. The inmates were running the asylum. It was a glorious mess!

A lot of good draft picks you bellyached about. Joseph was a heck of player for the Bucs. He set the tone on the OL for many years. He was a Pro Bowl level player until wiping out a knee in 2012 or 2013.

For Freeman, that's on your guy Morris. He demanded the Bucs draft his K State QB... Truthfully, it initially looked like a good pick. He was gangbusters out of the gate, then went to crap. Which circles us back to Morris's coaching ability/style.

The 2011 Bucs had a lot more talent than Talib & McCoy. I think Penn broke out that year. Winslow was on that team. I also remember Bennett & Clayborn playing well... The biggest issues for the 2011 Bucs were the bad HC and awful QB play from the HCs handpicked QB.

All in all, the Bucs aren't close to a "terrible" franchise. They struggled after winning their SB (do terrible franchises win SBs?), but were always financially feasible. They've been on point since Licht became GM five or six years ago. He was really handicapped by Winston busting at QB, but he still built a talented team across the board. Now that he has the right coach & QB, the sky is limit for the Bucs this year.