Week 8 Gameday Thread: Ravens vs. Steelers

Ray Reed

2 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Feelings are hot so all I will say is hoping that other than Stanley (being realistic) your guys are good to go the rest of the year. I absolutely hated seeing that. I wish we could just call the season series every year 1-1 each team wins 14-17 each time and we don't actually play the game so guys don't get hurt. Good luck the rest of the way, though obviously not against us, though I'm sure you're gonna win and ruin my Thanksgiving now.

I think every fan outside of our fanbases enjoyed the game. 

Losing Stanley hurt, but you guys lost some guys as well. The feeling right now is there was a lof of penalties going the Steelers way, but in a game where Lamar throws 2 interceptions and fumbles within field goal range, we can mostly point towards our own guys not doing what was needed to do/Steelers defense and offense capitalizing and being clutch.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

While we're talking about Lamar's 2nd INT, why were there 2 players running routes withing like 3 yards of each other? If that's a proper flood concept, those guys need to be spaced out a lot more than that. I've seen that same garbage happen all the time. Just another example of Dave Culley's great coaching.

I thought so too. Plays like those are ASKING for interceptions. This coaching staff is just not putting together a winning passing formula.

But I still blame Roman. It’s not that he’s trash as a coach, it means he’s trash as an OC. He’s a great run game coordinator, but as an OC in the modern NFL, you need to be able to construct a winning passing attack. Culley could be to blame because he’s ultimately the guy most to blame, but I don’t know if any pass game coordinator that isn’t already under a great OC/great offensive minded HC.

What’s more even then his play calls themselves have left MUCH to be desired. I mean the 3rd down and 4th down playcalls on the previous drive were terrible play calls, especially that 4th down call.

Random observations.

Ngakoue was a non factor - I had hoped for more

Terrell Bonds did not look ready

Pass rush is still reliant on blitzes

Oline is so up and down, and it hurts especially the passing game

We lack offensive rythm again in the passing game

No Ingram, no problem. I think we saw how we should split carries today and Gus and Dobbins work well off eachother

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

weird how steelers fans all of a sudden show up in our GDT after a garbage win.

Meh. I’m down with it as long as they’re not trying anything crazy like the Browns fans do and then play dumb. “Oh I wasn’t TRYING to troll, but if thats what you got out of that...” Browns fans are gas lighters, Steelers fans... at least now, don’t seem to be doing that (and haven’t done it in some time after some of their stupid posters stopped being quite as active.)

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I thought so too. Plays like those are ASKING for interceptions. This coaching staff is just not putting together a winning passing formula.

But I still blame Roman. It’s not that he’s trash as a coach, it means he’s trash as an OC. He’s a great run game coordinator, but as an OC in the modern NFL, you need to be able to construct a winning passing attack. Culley could be to blame because he’s ultimately the guy most to blame, but I don’t know if any pass game coordinator that isn’t already under a great OC/great offensive minded HC.

What’s more even then his play calls themselves have left MUCH to be desired. I mean the 3rd down and 4th down playcalls on the previous drive were terrible play calls, especially that 4th down call.

Maybe I don't quite understand the responsibilities of different coaches, but my understanding is that the "passing game coordinator / WR coach" would construct the plays in our passing game and teach our players how they're done.

The offensive coordinator calls the plays and generally creates the scheme? I honestly don't know how much of our passing game is a reflection of Greg Roman vs. Dave Culley.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

Meh. I’m down with it as long as they’re not trying anything crazy like the Browns fans do and then play dumb. “Oh I wasn’t TRYING to troll, but if thats what you got out of that...” Browns fans are gas lighters, Steelers fans... at least now, don’t seem to be doing that (and haven’t done it in some time after some of their stupid posters stopped being quite as active.)

It is also one guy saying gg. I haven't seen anyone come in to the GDT to gloat

10 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I think trading for a lineman is a waste of time. The only way we’re beating Kansas City is running and at no point getting into a situation where we have to throw. We get down by a couple scores against them we aren’t throwing our way back into it no matter who we get.

Honestly our current OL situation, if it can remain healthy... might even be a better fit for them. Fluker and Brown Jr are behemoths in the run game while Stanley is more of a good run blocker. Plus I’d argue that Brown Jr is better at LT than at RT, his set just looks so much more natural over there. But perhaps that’s just my imagination?

That home loss (plus a loss to a Chiefs team that the Steelers don't have to play) makes the division a very uphill climb. As much as a close Ravens-Steelers loss is THE WORST, it was never that important that we look amazing and rack up an amazing regular season record. The Stanley injury is of course worse than the loss. I think we can kind of still stick with the offense with Zeus Jr though. But getting a top wild card and then a matchup with the AFC East/South champ is a workable path. The only failure that we can't tolerate this year is an 0-1 playoff run.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I'd ship his *** off tomorrow morning to the Jets. 

I mean, I get this sentiment but what's your plan at WR? Just run the ball the rest of the year?

Hollywood is a legit NFL WR and one of the best playmakers in the entire league. Do we try to get him the ball in space EVER? No, we don't. No screens, no motions, no pitches, no handoffs, no nothing.

• Like 1