Baker’s 5th yr option

buno67

stole this from reddit. Good info about bakers 5th year option under new CBA

“So obviously there's going to be a lot of talk about Baker's 5th year option, because the Browns will have to make a decision on it after this season.  I saw a lot of conflicting information about how much that option would cost and how it works. For anyone who doesn't know, the rules around the 5th year option changed starting with the draft class of 2018 (Baker and Ward's class). 

# The Old Way

The 5th year option was introduced in 2011 and there were 2 categories:

* players selected in the top 10, the 5th year option was calculated as the average of the 10 highest paid players at the same position
* players selected 11-32, the 5th year option was calculated as the average of the 3rd-25th highest paid players at the same position

This 5th year was only injury guaranteed.  So from my understanding a team would be able to exercise a player's option after his third season, then cut him during or after his fourth season to avoid paying for that 5th year, unless he got injured.  I'm not positive about this piece  

# The New Way

Starting with the draft class of 2018, the way that the 5th year salary is calculated is based more on incentives during a players first 3 years.  There ultimately ends up being 4 levels of pay.  

1. Player makes at least 2 Pro bowls during their first 3 seasons

The fifth year salary for this player would be calculated the same as a franchise tag during the player's 4th year.  

**What this means**

the player's 5th year salary will be calculated as the average of the top 5 paid players at the same position during the player's 4th year.

2. Player makes 1 pro bowl and plays in at least 75% of the team's snaps on offense or defense

The fifth year salary for this player would be calculated the same as a Transition tag during the player's 4th year.

**What this means**

The player's 5th year salary will be calculated as the average of the top 10 paid players at the same position during the player's 4th year

3. Player makes no pro bowls, but plays in at least 75% of team's snaps on offense or defense

The fifth year salary for this player would be calculated as the average of the 3rd-20th highest paid players at the same position.

4. Player does not meet any of the above qualifications

The fifth year salary for this player would be calculated as the average of the 3rd-25th highest paid players at the same position

Another wrinkle is that compared to the previous version, the 5th year is fully guaranteed as soon as the team exercises it after the player's third season. So teams can no longer exercise the option then cut the player during the fourth season to prevent paying.

# Baker Mayfield

Baker would currently be sitting in level 3, so his 5th year would be calculated as the average of the 3rd-20th highest paid qbs during the 2021 league year.  If Baker were to make the pro bowl this year, that should move him up to level 2 which would give him a bump.  I did some quick math based on current guaranteed contracts for next league year.

**Level 2:** ~$27 Million

**Level 3:** ~$22 Million

# Denzel Ward

Ward has made 1 pro bowl, and assuming he's met the 75% snap count criteria (I'm not positive about this).  That puts him in level 2 with the potential to move up to Level 1.

**Level 1:** ~$18.4 Million**

**Level 2:** ~$16.8 Million**

# Note

The Browns will need to make a decision by May 3rd, 2021

# Update:

For example: The highest paid QB this year was Dak Prescott at 31.4 million, and the cap is set at 198.2 million, so Dak's cap percentage is 15.8%.

I adjusted Baker's numbers down a little bit based on this.

Level 2: 35 million -> 27 million (13.94% cap space)

Level 1: 26 million -> 22 million (11.14% cap space)”

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Interesting. I think the 5th year option instead of a new contract is a no-brainer. Let him continue to improve and earn the ridiculous contract he’ll be asking for. 

Same.

I think that allows him 3 full seasons in Stefanski’s offense, which is a completely acceptable amount to time to show what you can do, prior to the huge extension.

It allows 2 full offseason to focus on the defense and developing replacements for the higher priced/older starters.

It actually makes us look like a reasonable, competent franchise for the first time in... decades?

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES

51 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Interesting. I think the 5th year option instead of a new contract is a no-brainer. Let him continue to improve and earn the ridiculous contract he’ll be asking for. 

I think it depends on the contract tho. Could give him a nice contract but has an easy out if he fails to perform. Like the 9ers and JimmyGs contract. It was a crazy extension he got but they can get out of it after this season. It was a 5yr $137m deal but could Be turned into a 3yr $85m if they cut him and could save close to $50m by doing so. 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

stole this from reddit. Good info about bakers 5th year option under new CBA

“So obviously there's going to be a lot of talk about Baker's 5th year option, because the Browns will have to make a decision on it after this season.  I saw a lot of conflicting information about how much that option would cost and how it works. For anyone who doesn't know, the rules around the 5th year option changed starting with the draft class of 2018 (Baker and Ward's class). 

# The Old Way

The 5th year option was introduced in 2011 and there were 2 categories:

* players selected in the top 10, the 5th year option was calculated as the average of the 10 highest paid players at the same position
* players selected 11-32, the 5th year option was calculated as the average of the 3rd-25th highest paid players at the same position

This 5th year was only injury guaranteed.  So from my understanding a team would be able to exercise a player's option after his third season, then cut him during or after his fourth season to avoid paying for that 5th year, unless he got injured.  I'm not positive about this piece  

# The New Way

Starting with the draft class of 2018, the way that the 5th year salary is calculated is based more on incentives during a players first 3 years.  There ultimately ends up being 4 levels of pay.  

1. Player makes at least 2 Pro bowls during their first 3 seasons

The fifth year salary for this player would be calculated the same as a franchise tag during the player's 4th year.  

**What this means**

the player's 5th year salary will be calculated as the average of the top 5 paid players at the same position during the player's 4th year.

2. Player makes 1 pro bowl and plays in at least 75% of the team's snaps on offense or defense

The fifth year salary for this player would be calculated the same as a Transition tag during the player's 4th year.

**What this means**

The player's 5th year salary will be calculated as the average of the top 10 paid players at the same position during the player's 4th year

3. Player makes no pro bowls, but plays in at least 75% of team's snaps on offense or defense

The fifth year salary for this player would be calculated as the average of the 3rd-20th highest paid players at the same position.

4. Player does not meet any of the above qualifications

The fifth year salary for this player would be calculated as the average of the 3rd-25th highest paid players at the same position

Another wrinkle is that compared to the previous version, the 5th year is fully guaranteed as soon as the team exercises it after the player's third season. So teams can no longer exercise the option then cut the player during the fourth season to prevent paying.

# Baker Mayfield

Baker would currently be sitting in level 3, so his 5th year would be calculated as the average of the 3rd-20th highest paid qbs during the 2021 league year.  If Baker were to make the pro bowl this year, that should move him up to level 2 which would give him a bump.  I did some quick math based on current guaranteed contracts for next league year.

**Level 2:** ~$27 Million

**Level 3:** ~$22 Million

# Denzel Ward

Ward has made 1 pro bowl, and assuming he's met the 75% snap count criteria (I'm not positive about this).  That puts him in level 2 with the potential to move up to Level 1.

**Level 1:** ~$18.4 Million**

**Level 2:** ~$16.8 Million**

# Note

The Browns will need to make a decision by May 3rd, 2021

# Update:

For example: The highest paid QB this year was Dak Prescott at 31.4 million, and the cap is set at 198.2 million, so Dak's cap percentage is 15.8%.

I adjusted Baker's numbers down a little bit based on this.

Level 2: 35 million -> 27 million (13.94% cap space)

Level 1: 26 million -> 22 million (11.14% cap space)”

Great information. I do like that this allows us some flexibility and I’m glad we at least have some players that we can have a discussion on the 5th year option.

I don't think taking a gamble (with educated guesses) is a completely terrible idea. If Baker proves he deserves the big contract it is going to be a lot more later than sooner. I wouldn't want to be the one making the decision but those making it should have a clearer idea than I do with what we have in him. My money is that he will end up being at least very good so I sign him sooner rather than later but I'm going mostly on talent. They should have a better idea about his makeup than I do.

The gamble would be not exercising the 5th year.  If there's a chance that he is your answer, you stall another year by giving him that option.  If it's not exercised, you both lose a year of control if he has a good year 4 and also burn a bridge and sour the guy.  At QB, it's a no brainer unless you flat out know you don't want to build on the guy at the conclusion of year 3. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

The gamble would be not exercising the 5th year.  If there's a chance that he is your answer, you stall another year by giving him that option.  If you it's not exercised, you both lose a year of control if he has a good year 4 and also burn a bridge and sour the guy.  At QB, it's a no brainer unless you flat out know you don't want to build on the guy at the conclusion of year 3. 

Yup. Either extend him after this season or give him the option. Those are the only two choices unless we want to play the Dak game.

8 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'm 99% sure Jerry keeps Dak, he is seeing his team go from terrible to dumpster fire without him.

Definitely. I just meant that in the end he made a big mess of the contract negotiation and lost all the leverage. Dak is going full Tunsil this coming off-season, guaranteed, maybe 5/two fitty.

Edited by NudeTayne
No, bones; I don't mean he's going to contract Covid from sharing a gas mask.

22 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Definitely. I just meant that in the end he made a big mess of the contract negotiation and lost all the leverage. Dak is going full Tunsil this coming off-season, guaranteed, maybe 5/two fitty.

Sorry I misread your post. 

I magic Miked it with my reading.

I find it hard to believe that Pro Bowls are still used as criteria for these really important business decisions.

Some positions go 6 or 7 deep as people opt out of the Pro Bowl.  Sometimes guys earn it, but sometimes it's a useless designation.

This year will actually be more legit, since they won't actually be playing the game, and guys won't (can't) opt out.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I find it hard to believe that Pro Bowls are still used as criteria for these really important business decisions.

Some positions go 6 or 7 deep as people opt out of the Pro Bowl.  Sometimes guys earn it, but sometimes it's a useless designation.

This year will actually be more legit, since they won't actually be playing the game, and guys won't (can't) opt out.

Yeah, Jarvis made the pro bowl and didnt even get 1k yards. 

• Like 1