Jump to content
squire12

2021 Packers OL

Recommended Posts

Given the recent injury to David Bakhtiari, Billy (Bobby) Turner shifting to LT with Wagner at RT.  Then with Wagner getting injured, GB flips Turner to RT and slides Jenkins to LT instead of keeping Turner at LT and moving Jenkins to RT.

Seemed odd since Jenkins had played RT earlier in the year vs Minnesota. 

Bakhtiari being a FA and rumored to be a ssd king for $20+M, is it plausible and possible that the starting OT in 2021 is LT and RT respectively 

Jenkins and Turner

Turner and Wagner

Jenkins and Wagner

Turner and Jenkins

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice thing about Green Bay is that the one area they seem to be good at evaluating and coaching and drafting is OL.

That position group is the last group I will worry about.

If Bakhtiari leaves, I will cry, but I’ll have faith in his replacement due to our staff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Nice thing about Green Bay is that the one area they seem to be good at evaluating and coaching and drafting is OL.

That position group is the last group I will worry about.

If Bakhtiari leaves, I will cry, but I’ll have faith in his replacement due to our staff.

Completely agree. I don't see Bakh moving, but could see us drafting an OL within the first three picks and molding them into a LT in about 18 months. It'll be interesting to see how they draft at the position given that MM had a particular body size at no taller than 6-5 and no more than 315 lb.s generally speaking; lotsa guys who are 6-6 to 6-9 in this draft that are 320 or heavier. We may even have someone already on the roster that could fill the position that we don't even know about...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe said:

I don't see Bakh moving.....but if....

I think it'll be Jenkins position to lose....and we slip somebody in at LG.

Edited by Leader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Leader said:

I think it'll be Jenkins position to lose....and we slip somebody in at LG.

If Jenkins can play tackle, get him in. It will be hard to pay him what he’ll command at guard for his second contract, but if he can be a bookend- sign the young man up and we can fill in the guards. In general it doesn’t make sense to pay elite money to guards unless maybe you have the next Yanda and run like crazy. 
 

Runyan and Stepaniak are interesting prospects. We’re already developing Runyan and Stepaniak is supposed to be a road grader. If his feet and instincts are up to par, he could easily replace Patrick who’s best quality is being a tough SOB. 
 

Lindsley is almost certainly gone so Patrick and Hanson Off of the PS will have a shot there. Of course, new blood will be coming in the draft and possible free agents, but developing our young guys will be how this coaching staff will prove themselves. 
 

*Of course, I want 69 in there first and foremost but there always needs to be a plan A, B and C.

Edited by Refugee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of me thinks they'll keep shuffling Jenkins around until after 2021 when we can extend him and make him a full-time tackle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Part of me thinks they'll keep shuffling Jenkins around until after 2021 when we can extend him and make him a full-time tackle.

I was a bit surprised that GB put him in at LT when Wagner went out and shifted Turner from LT to RT.  Seemed it would have been less overall shuffling to move Jenkins to RT where he had already played .... and well....during week 1.  

Feels like it was a bit of a test run to see how he looked and got some tape on him to review and coach up.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Refugee said:

If Jenkins can play tackle, get him in. It will be hard to pay him what he’ll command at guard for his second contract, but if he can be a bookend- sign the young man up and we can fill in the guards. In general it doesn’t make sense to pay elite money to guards unless maybe you have the next Yanda and run like crazy. 
 

Runyan and Stepaniak are interesting prospects. We’re already developing Runyan and Stepaniak is supposed to be a road grader. If his feet and instincts are up to par, he could easily replace Patrick who’s best quality is being a tough SOB. 
 

Lindsley is almost certainly gone so Patrick and Hanson Off of the PS will have a shot there. Of course, new blood will be coming in the draft and possible free agents, but developing our young guys will be how this coaching staff will prove themselves. 
 

*Of course, I want 69 in there first and foremost but there always needs to be a plan A, B and C.

Hanson is Linsley's replacement.

 

Also, in reply to the asterisked statement...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Joe said:

Hanson is Linsley's replacement.

 

If they thought he was that capable, why stash him on the PS?  This is a good year to hide a guy but don’t risk losing a draft pick and a possible starter. We’ll see next year.  Don’t see Linsley staying unless we lose Bahk and that would be a shame just for the loss of all the 69 jokes and beer chugging, never mind our QB’s blindside. Corey is having a great year, though.

Edited by Refugee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh geez, some double posting going on.  No delete button?  Guess I’d better watch what I say. The internet is forever. 

Edited by Refugee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interestingly so far this season we have missed in the lineup a range of our 2021 free agents through injury or Covid: Bakh, King, Jones, Jamaal, Ervin. I didn't think I would say this but it seems the team most notably looked different without Aaron Jones in the line up and for all sweeps he does Tyler Ervin. Our offence in terms of weapons functions pretty well with Adams and Jones as the feature weapons I think you must keep them around. Everyone like myself loves Jamaal but the Vikings were happy to keep two safeties deep and weren't worried about him, I don't think that happens with Jones in the lineup. Adams and Jones create matchup problems and also give opportunities to other players. I'll be quite happy with an offence that features Adams, Jones, Lazard, Tonyan and Ervin as keep pieces.  I think WR depth is where we can improve on if we have to. 

It seems like we haven't missed a beat without Bahk and then the question is do we pay a guy $20m or so on a third contract? Kevin King has been missed a little I would say but no one has really picked on and torched Josh Jackson. The trouble with King is paying for availability. If the deal would be reasonable i.e $8m to $10m AAV then I would almost prefer to pay him a second contract than Bakh a third and still have cash left over to improve the team further. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, squire12 said:

I was a bit surprised that GB put him in at LT when Wagner went out and shifted Turner from LT to RT.  Seemed it would have been less overall shuffling to move Jenkins to RT where he had already played .... and well....during week 1.  

Feels like it was a bit of a test run to see how he looked and got some tape on him to review and coach up.  

During half time they asked Jenkins (and not Turner) where he'd rather play and he said LT, so they moved Turner back to RT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Refugee said:

If they thought he was that capable, why stash him on the PS?  This is a good year to hide a guy but don’t risk losing a draft pick and a possible starter. We’ll see next year.  Don’t see Linsley staying unless we lose Bahk and that would be a shame just for the loss of all the 69 jokes and beer chugging, never mind our QB’s blindside. Corey is having a great year, though.

Hanson's a 6th round pick and we've got two other guys who have filled in at Center, but I'm willing to bet that Hanson would've been on the final 55 had he gotten a TC in under his belt. On the other hand, this isn't a skill position we're talking about here so we don't have to worry too much about stashing him on the PS. 

Edited by Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think letting Bak walk could be foolish. But if they did move on from him would it be a potential tag and trade scenario?

Edited by Arthur Penske

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think letting Bak walk could be foolish. But if they did move on from him would it be a potential tag and trade scenario?

Those are illegal and teams know it.  You’re only getting a 3rd round pick in a tag and trade because of that.  Tagging and hoping a team gives up two first round picks is an option, but it’s not likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...