2021 Packers OL

squire12

8 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Interestingly so far this season we have missed in the lineup a range of our 2021 free agents through injury or Covid: Bakh, King, Jones, Jamaal, Ervin. I didn't think I would say this but it seems the team most notably looked different without Aaron Jones in the line up and for all sweeps he does Tyler Ervin. Our offence in terms of weapons functions pretty well with Adams and Jones as the feature weapons I think you must keep them around. Everyone like myself loves Jamaal but the Vikings were happy to keep two safeties deep and weren't worried about him, I don't think that happens with Jones in the lineup. Adams and Jones create matchup problems and also give opportunities to other players. I'll be quite happy with an offence that features Adams, Jones, Lazard, Tonyan and Ervin as keep pieces.  I think WR depth is where we can improve on if we have to. 

It seems like we haven't missed a beat without Bahk and then the question is do we pay a guy $20m or so on a third contract? Kevin King has been missed a little I would say but no one has really picked on and torched Josh Jackson. The trouble with King is paying for availability. If the deal would be reasonable i.e $8m to $10m AAV then I would almost prefer to pay him a second contract than Bakh a third and still have cash left over to improve the team further. 

I agree with you.

If AJ will sign a sensible deal that reflects that Running Backs aren't a premium position then I think we sign him. Coming around to this a lot more now. This is where not over-using him may help and if we use Dillon more and not over-use him then there is a good chance he retains his effectiveness.

I don't think you can pay King. Just too many injuries.  I don't want to pay big money to a Centre on a 3rd contract so Linsley has to go.

We try and sign Bakh but if the cap does drop to 175m and he wants something huge you have to walk away. Its a 3rd contract, he has shown in past few seasons some sign he may decline and will pick up more niggles. People said we had to sign Bulaga but that looks the right decision. We've been playing without Bulaga or Bakh. Ideally you want as many of the big contracts to be on players on a second contract.

Adams for me depends on Rodgers. He will cost the earth, has had injuries and will be on a 3rd contract.  If 2022 is the start of the Love era then I would move on and put serious draft capital into the receivers to give Love his own guys. If Rodgers is still going for us in 2022 then you find a way to keep Adams. 

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

If AJ will sign a sensible deal that reflects that Running Backs aren't a premium position then I think we sign him. Coming around to this a lot more now. This is where not over-using him may help and if we use Dillon more and not over-use him then there is a good chance he retains his effectiveness

It's all about the $$$ so @mikemike778  What is your maximum over/under number, on AJ's contract ?

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

What? When did I miss that?

There's not much the NFL can do about it, but it is illegal to use the franchise tag on a player with the intent to trade them. 

It is NOT illegal to tag a player, realize there will be no long term deal and trade them. 

So it's in that Bill Belichick area. 

Don't ask me how I know this or to prove it because I'm too lazy to look it up, but I do know that it is 100% true. 

Edited by Outpost31

25 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

There's not much the NFL can do about it, but it is illegal to use the franchise tag on a player with the intent to trade them. 

It is NOT illegal to tag a player, realize there will be no long term deal and trade them. 

So it's in that Bill Belichick area. 

Don't ask me how I know this or to prove it because I'm too lazy to look it up, but I do know that it is 100% true. 

So could do that with Bak and say he was asking too much $

Edited by Arthur Penske

I do think there’s a chance Linsley could take a workable deal here, way more so than Bakh anyway and I’d like to see it happen if he isn’t just trying to get paid once more. Would like to bring Patrick back as a cheap pass protector even if he’s never going to be what we want him to be in the run game 

Edited by Rodjahs12

I’m one of the few people on this board advocating for not resigning Bak. It’s not that I don’t like him, but considering the cap situation and age, not retaining him (ideally tag and trade for a second or more) is the best option. He’s going to want and deserves like 3-4 years 22m a pop with mostly guaranteed money. We don’t have that without lots of work arounds.

Wagner, Turner, and a high pick (second) round pick is fine at OT.

The interior will probably be Patrick, Jenkins, Runyon/Hanson with another mid round pick mixed in.

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Our fanbase advocating for walking away from an all pro LT for salary concerns while wanting to trade a second round pick for an 8 game rental of a super fragile, good but not great WR is gonna drive me to drinking mouthwash under an overpass. 

I figured you were already on that step.

The things you learn.

@Norm we might need an intervention 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Our fanbase advocating for walking away from an all pro LT for salary concerns while wanting to trade a second round pick for an 8 game rental of a super fragile, good but not great WR is gonna drive me to drinking mouthwash under an overpass. 

Not sure anyone was advocating trading a 2 for Fuller. Plus you're talking about $5m for a player useful for a SB push versus paying a guy $20+m over several years, including next year with a very limited cap. It's worth a conversation to question whether the juice is worth the squeeze especially with how Jenkins/Turner have performed in place of 69. 

Over the the last 3 games, we've missed Jones a lot more than Bakh. In fact, it really hasn't been close. 

Edited by packfanfb

47 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

@AlexGreen#20

do the finances work with Bakhtiari at $20+?

When you get a chance, I would be interested in your assessment of how Turner and Jenkins played at LT these last couple games. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Not sure anyone was advocating trading a 2 for Fuller. Plus you're talking about $5m for a player useful for a SB push versus paying a guy $20+m over several years, including next year with a very limited cap. It's worth a conversation to question whether the juice is worth the squeeze especially with how Jenkins/Turner have performed in place of 69. 

Over the the last 3 games, we've missed Jones a lot more than Bakh. In fact, it really hasn't been close. 

If Bakh signs for 20 a year, the contract would certainly be structured NOT to include a $20 million cap hit in 2021.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Basing it off of 3 games vs not very good pass rushing teams isnt a good sample size to risk letting one of the best left tackles in the game go. And eh, you could Argue Williams has been just as good filling in for Jones as Turner has been for Bakh. Offense didn't change much. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd