Chase Young

RSkinGM

10 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Actually I was curious as to the reaction. I wasn't really sure -kinda why I started the subject. I'm actually happy to see most to nearly 100% are still very happy with the pick . I thought it to be a bit of overkill with 4 1st rounders already on the D-line --though Kerrigan is aging . 

Got ya. Yeah, Kerrigan is not the player he once was, he will probably be gone next year as it’s pretty clear he wants to play more and to play on a team that will have a chance to make the Super Bowl, even if that’s is a reserve role on that team next year. I think the only way we retain him is to grossly overpay him - as he is now - which I don’t think Rivera will do.

Going from Kerrigan to Chase is an amazing transition for us that we have.

Edited by turtle28

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Got ya. Yeah, Kerrigan is not the player he once was, he will probably be gone next year as it’s pretty clear he wants to play more and to play on a team that will have a chance to make the Super Bowl, even if that’s is a reserve role on that team next year. I think the only way we retain him is to grossly overpay him - as he is now - which I don’t think Rivera will do.

I remember Kiper saying- we had to take him- by far BPA !

34 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Thats a LONG ways from reaching 80 total pressures by end of the season. (Nick Bosa had 52qb, 80 total)

But those 2 interior guys are doing pretty good.

So basically no matter what statistic gets posted to show you he’s living up to the hype you’re going to poopoo it because they didn’t trade the pick away? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So basically no matter what statistic gets posted to show you he’s living up to the hype you’re going to poopoo it because they didn’t trade the pick away? 

Nah, apparently he is .. I'm not quite that hardheaded. He came in with sooooooo much hype. I expected too much I think .

24 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Nah, apparently he is .. I'm not quite that hardheaded. He came in with sooooooo much hype. I expected too much I think .

I don’t know why people let hype cloud their realistic judgement, it never does mine. I did not expect Chase Young to play that much better than he has as a rookie, but I’m more realistic about stuff like that. Hype is just a bunch of smoke being blown up peoples butts. It means nothing. 

I still think Chase can get near the rookie sack record or get it - he has 8 games left to get 11.5 sacks - it’s very unlikely - but it’s not impossible. What continues to make it impossible is when he gets doubled on almost every play.

Edited by turtle28

@RSkinGM Chase Young grades the highest of the 2020 first round picks.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-grading-all-32-first-round-picks-week-9-2020-nfl-season?utm_source=PFF+Newsletter&utm_campaign=1c9ba32aef-Newsletter_11%2F10&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ae3f4210bf-1c9ba32aef-217104801

PICK NO. 2: EDGE CHASE YOUNGWASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

2020 overall grade: 79.9

Chase Young had three total pressures from 36 pass-rushing snaps this week against Daniel Jones and the New York Giants, which will be something of a disappointment given that the Giants have struggled in that area this season.

Jones has been the most pressured quarterback in football in 2020, and Young was unable to match the impact he had early in the season. He has still been one of the bright spots of this group of rookies, particularly on the defensive side of the ball in this season of all offense, all of the time. However, the injury he suffered early in the season has definitely affected his play, and he has yet to return to the highs we saw over the first few weeks.

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t know why people let hype cloud their realistic judgement, it never does mine. I did not expect Chase Young to play that much better than he has as a rookie, but I’m more realistic about stuff like that. Hype is just a bunch of smoke being blown up peoples butts. It means nothing. 

I still think Chase can get near the rookie sack record or get it - he has 8 games left to get 11.5 sacks - it’s very unlikely - but it’s not impossible. What continues to make it impossible is when he gets doubled on almost every play.

Turtle , few of us have your wisdom . I think I speak for all- we're lucky to have a poster like you . 

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He very well well could be playing hurt. Groin strains take a time to heal. I was hoping they bye week might help him with that .

3 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Turtle , few of us have your wisdom . I think I speak for all- we're lucky to have a poster like you . 

Aww shucks, thanks big guy!

season 8 thank you GIFI wish I could agree that the rest of the forum feels that way but most don’t, especially a guy who’s blocked me bc we didn’t used to agree on most things and he couldn’t stand someone disagreeing with him most of the time.

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

He very well well could be playing hurt. Groin strains take a time to heal. I was hoping they bye week might help him with that .

Buddy, he is playing hurt, he’s playing through a groin injury, he’s still getting double teamed on most plays and he’s still having a huge impact. Outside of him being an all world All-Pro as a rookie, he’s pretty much everything we could have expected him to be as a rookie.

Another poster on here brought up Nick Bosa’s rookie season. Nick Bosa wasn’t playing any better than Chase Young as a rookie. Bosa’s stats as a rookie weren’t all worldly either. Bosa had just 9 sacks last year, I don’t remember San Fran fans complaining about him and his average sack numbers because like Young, he was impactful on almost every play and impacting the game in other ways besides just sacks.

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Aww shucks, thanks big guy!

season 8 thank you GIFI wish I could agree that the rest of the forum feels that way but most don’t, especially a guy who’s blocked me bc we didn’t used to agree on most things and he couldn’t stand someone disagreeing with him most of the time.

Ha, you've ALWAYS stated your position and held fast ! I respect that .

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Where are the stats to show such? You go ahead and show them. And I wont need to poopoo on them.

Like I said. To be worth not trading and instead actually build a complete team. He needs a good 90 total pressures per year. Half through the season he has 23.5 including sacks and hurries. Bosa was up around 40 mid season his rookie year. Kerrigan is at 13.5 in seeing limited action.

Is he that much over-the-top improvement when compared to Kerrigan that it justifies picking the one position that was secured to begin with? I cant say that. 22 positions on the field. 5 might be filled well. And the pick was for 1 of those 5 instead of the gathering some extra picks and addressing one of the 17 needs. Especially the qb need with Tua and Herbert on the board.

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Where are the stats to show such? You go ahead and show them. And I wont need to poopoo on them.

Like I said. To be worth not trading and instead actually build a complete team. He needs a good 90 total pressures per year. Half through the season he has 23.5 including sacks and hurries. Bosa was up around 40 mid season his rookie year. Kerrigan is at 13.5 in seeing limited action.

Is he that much over-the-top improvement when compared to Kerrigan that it justifies picking the one position that was secured to begin with? I cant say that. 22 positions on the field. 5 might be filled well. And the pick was for 1 of those 5 instead of the gathering some extra picks and addressing one of the 17 needs. Especially the qb need with Tua and Herbert on the board.

They’re linked all over this thread. What more do you need? And you keep bringing up this mythical trade. Nobody offered anything. It was reported at the time of the draft nobody was offering anything. And I don’t want to hear a word about Herbert. Almost all of FF thought he was overrated and didn’t think he was worth a top 10 pick so this revisionist history crap with Herbert is silly. 

• Like 1

When people always just talk about stats when trying to discount a players impact on the game it means they don’t actually watch the game, they just watch the stats and use that for their only reasoning which gives them a false narrative on how good or bad the player really is.

Edited by turtle28