Chase Young

RSkinGM

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

They’re linked all over this thread. What more do you need? And you keep bringing up this mythical trade. Nobody offered anything. It was reported at the time of the draft nobody was offering anything. And I don’t want to hear a word about Herbert. Almost all of FF thought he was overrated and didn’t think he was worth a top 10 pick so this revisionist history crap with Herbert is silly. 

Linked all over this thread? All I see on this thread is a Giants fan making sense. I saw a tweet provided saying Chase as a DE only has a few more pressures than interior linemen. But thats it.

And trade offers were made. Maybe not to the extent of what was rumored. But they were made. And were trying to build a complete team. That position was secured for the next few years by Kerrigan.

On 11/9/2020 at 11:53 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

I said before drafted. If he cant avg 16 sacks and 90+ pressures per year. Then the pick wasnt worth giving up 3 first round picks for.

The guy can never be a success in your eyes, because this concept of “3 first round picks” has gone from utterly unrealistic speculation to somehow a concrete standard against which Chase Young now must be measured. 

No one was ever going to trade 3 first round picks for that pick. I was saying it until I was blue in the face all offseason — and then draft day happened and it became painfully clear that no one wanted the pick that badly. 

If the standard you’re going to use in evaluating Chase Young as a prospect/player is “has he proven to be worth what would have been largest haul ever traded for a draft pick?” — then no, there’s not a great chance he’s going to meet with your approval. But that’s not really fair, or realistic, or based in the facts that we know.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Linked all over this thread? All I see on this thread is a Giants fan making sense. I saw a tweet provided saying Chase as a DE only has a few more pressures than interior linemen. But thats it.

And trade offers were made. Maybe not to the extent of what was rumored. But they were made. And were trying to build a complete team. That position was secured for the next few years by Kerrigan.

Show me the trade offers that were made. 

Personally, I think he’s been a mild disappointment thus far. I thought he would be a little more dominant in the pass-rush aspect of the game, he’s not breathing down the QB’s neck every other snap like I felt he might be. 

But he’s been better as a run player than I thought, he’s actually going speed to power better than I thought, and he is absolutely drawing all the double teams and chips that elite pass-rushers draw. As a rookie. The terrible play from our LBs and safeties — as well as the loss of Ioannidis — have also hurt him, as the ball is coming out really quickly against us, and the interior pass-rush is not what we hoped it would be. QBs are free to either dump the ball off or step up in the pocket, both of which are stunting his pressure and sack numbers to some degree.

It’s hard to be too upset or concerned, though I’m hopeful his pass-rush game will be refined and sharpened with more time and more experience. He’s already got a lot of tools in the box, he's pretty advanced in the sense of having a rush plan, and he apparently works his tail off — he just needs to take that part of his game to a higher level. And I think the “mild disappointment” only creeps in when you acknowledge that you expected him to be really dominant at this young age.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Personally, I think he’s been a mild disappointment thus far. I thought he would be a little more dominant in the pass-rush aspect of the game, he’s not breathing down the QB’s neck every other snap like I felt he might be. 

But he’s been better as a run player than I thought, he’s actually going speed to power better than I thought, and he is absolutely drawing all the double teams and chips that elite pass-rushers draw. As a rookie. The terrible play from our LBs and safeties — as well as the loss of Ioannidis — have also hurt him, as the ball is coming out really quickly against us, and the interior pass-rush is not what we hoped it would be. QBs are free to either dump the ball off or step up in the pocket, both of which are stunting his pressure and sack numbers to some degree.

It’s hard to be too upset or concerned, though I’m hopeful his pass-rush game will be refined and sharpened with more time and more experience. He’s already got a lot of tools in the box, he's pretty advanced in the sense of having a rush plan, and he apparently works his tail off — he just needs to take that part of his game to a higher level. And I think the “mild disappointment” only creeps in when you acknowledge that you expected him to be really dominant at this young age.

True to All this, I’ll just remind everyone once again though that Chase is only 21 years old. There’s a lot of room for growth for Chase Young as a player and a man and again, that should scare the HELL out of the entire NFL.

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Google about the Falcons wanting him. "Blockbuster trade deal" that wasnt accepted.

What do you think "Blockbuster" would consist of in picks?

https://clutchpoints.com/falcons-news-atlanta-tried-blockbuster-draft-trade-take-chase-young-no-2/

Who knows? You certainly don’t and neither do I. Blockbuster could’ve meant anything. Could’ve meant pick 16, their second and Julio Jones. It literally could mean anything. Nobody offered three first round picks as this was their rumored cost for the pick. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Who knows? You certainly don’t and neither do I. Blockbuster could’ve meant anything. Could’ve meant pick 16, their second and Julio Jones. It literally could mean anything. Nobody offered three first round picks as this was their rumored cost for the pick. 

Some people have been so short sided in terms of Chase Young and I just don’t understand it, as I’m sure you don’t and most of us in the forum. We have a great talent at DE - by most people’s accounts the best DE talent to come out of the drsft since Julius Peppers. Chase is  a complete DE - run stuffer & great pass rusher - who’s just 21 and will be with this franchise until hopefully the day he retires which could be 14 or 15 years from now. 

Why would we trade that away for a lesser prospect several picks later and possibly a JAG late 1st round pick or 2nd round picks like the Rams got in the RG3 trade? I don’t care, I wasn’t interested in trading down.

If things go right and we lose out the rest of this season we will be able to take Justin Fields with the #2 pick this year - at worst we win a few more games and end up drafting Trey Lance, Zach Wilson or Mac Jones in the 5-10 range. You add that QB prospect to help improve one of the the worst offenses in the NFL this year into an average offense next year - as Chase Young has helped do with the defense this year - and then we have something! 

We’ll have an extremely young offense & defense and have an offense and defense that rank in the teens or better with much more opportunities for growth on both sides of the ball in the coming years.

We 100% played it right in drafting Chase Young this year - the only other consideration was Tua but his hip injury & ankle injury history were a major red flags - we need to come back and hopefully draft our future franchise QB in the next draft.

If we do that, we should be a perennial playoff team and eventually a Super Bowl contender - if the QB we draft develops - for the next 15 years.

Why would anyone not want that?

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Chase Young said himself on the Dan Patrick Show that several teams were inquiring about trading up for the 2 spot. I could see them starting with what you mentioned. But I think the Falcons offered better than that.

14 hours ago, e16bball said:

Spot on!!! There’s some dang man with him but he’s already getting the focus of the offense. And he isn’t just running full speed past backs getting screens he is very aware and I think a lot of it is the scheme and what coaches are doing with him knowing he’s getting the focus of the offense. Realistically I think it’s more on Allen, Payne, and Sweat to produce to open him up. If they key on Chase they need to blow up. It’s way to early to even act like he’s playing bad because he’s not. But the unit hasn’t clicked and started feeding off each other but that will come as they continue to grow together

the way I see it is if Chase is our problem right now it’s a good problem to have because when it clicks he’s not going to turn back so I’ll continue to just wait and just enjoy when he goes off

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 2

Good lord.

Okay, so I've watched enough of these games and I've been focusing specifically on Chase when watching the defense.

He's getting doubles and triples pretty consistently, he's getting hits on the QB, he's blowing up run plays, and he's also pursuing down field to stop plays too.

3.5 sacks isn't amazing, but those will come in time. It isn't about just sacks. He also is tied for 22nd in tackles for loss, where there's a huge logjam of people who have the same or one more, and he's missed time.

Edited by JoshstraDaymus
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Chase Young said himself on the Dan Patrick Show that several teams were inquiring about trading up for the 2 spot. I could see them starting with what you mentioned. But I think the Falcons offered better than that.

I don't see there's anyway you don't take it. It's not a QB. You have so many holes. 3 firsts +? I'm never going to buy that unless you prove it otherwise. That's just how it'll be. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't see there's anyway you don't take it. It's not a QB. You have so many holes. 3 firsts +? I'm never going to buy that unless you prove it otherwise. That's just how it'll be. 

Why do you keep mentioning this 3-1st? Doesnt have to be that. With the Falcons history this century. Im positive there were 2-1st in the mix and something additional.

And here we have bozos wanting to lose every game this year. After the work was put in last year to do just that. When we could have had ammo this draft to accomplish about anything but Trevor himself. And thats what Ive said since before the draft. But NO. People would rather pick Chase and try to lose every game all over again. Year after year after year of the same FAILED building mold thats been used the past 2 decades.

22 starting positions. 17 or 18 need badly upgrading. But hey, lets upgrade one of the 4-5 spots thats locked in and secured for the next few years. And park a solid starter on the bench. So we still have those 17-18 holes to fill and go into the season hoping to lose every game. What progress that is.

Edited by PARROTHEAD

Our draft spot at the end of each year not factoring in trades

2, 15,  13, 17, 22, 5, 2, 22, 6, 10, 4, 13, 21

bolded were the RG3 trades. Three in the top 5 in 13 years. With that we got our amazing LT, possibly a future amazing DE, and Scherff. I dunno, that’s why I like top 5 picks when my team blows chunks. Start learning to hit on 2nd rounders instead of guys like Sua, Anderson, etc and that’ll go far. 

• Like 1