Week 11 COVID-19 News

ET80

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

This is exactly why I talk about implicit and explicit bias when I make my students print off current events. It's hilarious.

This is a football forum not a scholarly debate. And bias does not = wrong.

But the first source provided more than made my point for me. The league caved because the Ravens ran to the union. The Ravens and the Ravens ALONE are the single team that threatened not to play a game and got an unprecedented third schedule delay.

Just now, CKSteeler said:

This is a football forum not a scholarly debate. And bias does not = wrong.

Bias=/=accurate and trustworthy either.

Just now, CKSteeler said:

But the first source provided more than made my point for me. The league caved because the Ravens ran to the union. The Ravens and the Ravens ALONE are the single team that threatened not to play a game and got an unprecedented third schedule delay.

Again, I get that and I'm fine with that. CLEARLY the Ravens players and their threats to strike if it didn't get pushed back are the mitigating factors here, but WHY they did it is unknown.

Was it out of safety?

Was it out of health concerns?

Was it to get a guy or two back?

Those motives are very difficult if not impossible to know.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Why would I care why the players were threatening to strike? It's entirely irrelevant to my argument. The league's stance was that the game was on until they threatened to strike and as the source explained to PFT, they threatened to open a massive can of worms.

Why would you care if the players are threatening to strike in regards to health concerns vs. threatening to strike because they think they're gaining a competitive advantage by stalling one more day? Yeah, I guess that's completely irrelevant when talking about WHY THE NFL DECIDED TO DELAY THE GAME ANOTHER DAY.....................................................

At this point I don't even think you know what you're arguing here.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Again, I get that and I'm fine with that. CLEARLY the Ravens players and their threats to strike if it didn't get pushed back are the mitigating factors here, but WHY they did it is unknown.

Was it out of safety?

Was it out of health concerns?

Was it to get a guy or two back?

Those motives are very difficult if not impossible to know.

And I'll repeat for about the tenth time, why the Ravens players did what they did is absolutely irrelevant to what I have argued. They could have legitimately feared for their very lives, and it has nothing to do with the reality that the league made a special exception for them not based on their own medical protocols but because they threatened to strike.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why would you care if the players are threatening to strike in regards to health concerns vs. threatening to strike because they think they're gaining a competitive advantage by stalling one more day? Yeah, I guess that's completely irrelevant when talking about WHY THE NFL DECIDED TO DELAY THE GAME ANOTHER DAY.....................................................

The NFL insisted the game was on for Tuesday. The NFL, with its own set of medical experts it listens to, did not share the concerns of Ravens players regardless of how sincere they were or weren't (I lean towards insincere, personally, considering that they then trotted out there to practice on Monday night). The NFL only caved to those demands with the threat of a strike.

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

The NFL insisted the game was on for Tuesday. The NFL, with its own set of medical experts it listens to, did not share the concerns of Ravens players regardless of how sincere they were or weren't (I lean towards insincere, personally, considering that they then trotted out there to practice on Monday night). The NFL only caved to those demands with the threat of a strike.

tenor.gif?itemid=5541009

The logic there really isn't hard to follow. NFL and its medical experts said game on for Tuesday. Ravens players threatened to strike. It was the strike, not medical concerns, that caused the game to be shifted to Wednesday.

Or maybe it was the beautiful rhetorical arguments of Saint Lamar speaking to Goodell personally on the dangers of covid that caused the league to suddenly reverse course. Ignore the source that is blatantly telling PFT that...nah...it was the threat of a strike and the fear of confrontation with the union.

But post memes because you don't have a leg to stand on.

Edited by CKSteeler

2 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

The logic there really isn't hard to follow. NFL and its medical experts said game on for Tuesday. Ravens players threatened to strike. It was the strike, not medical concerns, that caused the game to be shifted to Wednesday.

Or maybe it was the beautiful rhetorical arguments of Saint Lamar speaking to Goodell personally on the dangers of covid that caused the league to suddenly reverse course. Ignore the source that is blatantly telling PFT that...nah...it was the threat of a strike and the fear of confrontation with the union.

But post memes because you don't have a leg to stand on.

Let me attempt to help you one last time, maybe a timeline will help!

Wednesday evening: Game moved to Sunday

Friday: Game moved to Tuesday

Saturday: More positive tests

Sunday: More positive tests

Monday: Players meet with NFL and threaten to strike if the game happens on Tuesday (at this point they've had positive tests EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.). The NFL can't even allow this game to be played because the Ravens have not had consecutive false-positive days. Even if the Ravens didn't threaten to strike, the NFL couldn't have played the game today, following their own protocols. Remember, the NFL moved the Thursday game to Sunday the night before the game was set to be played, so there is already precedent with the NFL making decisions at the 11th-hour. It's entirely plausible that the NFL agreed with the Ravens' players that playing on Tuesday would not only violate their own protocols, but wouldn't be safe considering at the time of the meeting, the Ravens had like 8-straight days of positive tests.

Monday Evening: NFL moves game from Tuesday to Wednesday to allow for Ravens to have false tests on Tuesday/Wednesday.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's entirely plausible that the NFL agreed with the Ravens' players that playing on Tuesday would not only violate their own protocols, but wouldn't be safe considering at the time of the meeting, the Ravens had like 8-straight days of positive tests.

And this is the entire point of the PFT link as it outlines what the NFL may have actually been thinking as it clearly suggests the game will be moved not out of medical concerns, but out of fear of the strike. This isn't PFT speculation, but the belief of PFT's sources.

Short of Goodell outright saying that it was the threat of the union intervention that caused this, that's about as much proof as we are going to get as to what actually happened.

And if the concern was medical, there'd be no reason for sources to add explanations related to practice time and the prevention of "muscle strains." Those quotes are the reason I provided that second 'biased' article as it compiled the reporting of others.

11 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

And this is the entire point of the PFT link as it outlines what the NFL may have actually been thinking as it clearly suggests the game will be moved not out of medical concerns, but out of fear of the strike.

and the argument people are making is that the strike was out of fear of medical concerns. Come on, man.

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

and the argument people are making is that the strike was out of fear of medical concerns. Come on, man.

I have avoided arguing as to what possible motives of the Ravens may be. They are really irrelevant. It would be speculative. Suffice to say, I don't buy that they were 100% sincerely related to medical concerns. The Ravens stand everything to gain and nothing to lose by delaying this game. And if they were so concerned about the two days of negative tests, then explain to me why they felt safe to practice on Monday morning (when the league delayed it) and Monday night when they actually went out and did so.

I fully believe Baltimore was hoping to get this thing pushed  back to a week 18.

But my argument is that it was actually irrelevant to why the league made its decision to delay. It didn't act out of medical concerns, but purely because the Ravens were the first and only team to threaten to strike despite their situation not being unprecedented. The Patriots players were pretty unhappy with the league's handling of their outbreak earlier this year, too, but played on.

Edited by CKSteeler