Bakh signs extension (4 years, 23M AAV)

CWood21

King is gone... 2021 isn't a year for a 1yr "prove it" deal. No cap space for that, so it would have to be long term deal.

Love King when he's playing which is not much. It's another Nick Perry situation and this time the Packers let the perpetually injured player walk.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Why-an-Aaron-Rodgers-trade-could-come-sooner-than-you-think-147055106/

I'm just going to sneak this in here - I know it's going to be a hard pill to swallow for all of us fans, but read the article and actually think about it from a business perspective and not a fan. Only when you understand it's a business, and only then should you look at it as a fan.

lol- Herman is such a worthless hack.

I didn't even click on the article to know he's talking about trading Rodgers. He's been doing since the draft when he learned that subject generated clicks.

Unless he's talking about Rodgers forcing a trade this offseason, then there's nothing new to talk about. That's the true article.

Lots of new rumblings Rodgers will want to play for a new team next year... Can't blame him. With the Gute building for the future this year rather than a championship run in the wide open NFC, that's not good for a 36yr old QB. Then add in the spoiled ignorant fanbase, I can totally understand Rodgers wanting out after this season. Heck, I'd be surprise if he didn't want out.

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Think Turner has done enough to warrant another year at RT.

Bakh-Jenkins-Patrick-Runyan-Turner is my guess for week 1 OL next year. With an OL being drafted day 1-2 of the draft for sure. Wagner gets cut.

Linsley most certainly gone. Bet we'll have room for King or Jones. I'd choose King. CBs are much harder to find.

I'd choose Jones.  I like King well enough but he can't stay on the field.  🚑

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Refugee said:

What makes it slightly more palatable is that we've had a starting LT on a 4th round rookie deal and then what turned out to be an under market second contract. I know the league is very much about getting more than what you are paying for but eventually, you've got to pay.  Let's hope 69 plays up to his deal and doesn't just set the market, but sets the standard at LT.

Yes, but hardly any LTs play as well as Bak does.

30 minutes ago, Donzo said:

lol- Herman is such a worthless hack.

I didn't even click on the article to know he's talking about trading Rodgers. He's been doing since the draft when he learned that subject generated clicks.

Unless he's talking about Rodgers forcing a trade this offseason, then there's nothing new to talk about. That's the true article.

Lots of new rumblings Rodgers will want to play for a new team next year... Can't blame him. With the Gute building for the future this year rather than a championship run in the wide open NFC, that's not good for a 36yr old QB. Then add in the spoiled ignorant fanbase, I can totally understand Rodgers wanting out after this season. Heck, I'd be surprise if he didn't want out.

Hard not to know he's talking about trading Rodgers, when it's literally in the URL before you even click it. 😂 - You don't have to read the article, that's fine. I'm an advocate of keeping Aaron here but he shows how a 2021 trade could actually happen. Not that it will, just that the possibility is there and how it would/could work for Green Bay. It's an interesting read and as the 2020 season draws closer to an end (We're already half way through the season) this story will just pick up more steam. 

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Why-an-Aaron-Rodgers-trade-could-come-sooner-than-you-think-147055106/

I'm just going to sneak this in here - I know it's going to be a hard pill to swallow for all of us fans, but read the article and actually think about it from a business perspective and not a fan. Only when you understand it's a business, and only then should you look at it as a fan.

Terrible article.

Our reward for downgrading from Rodgers to Love next year is . . . 5 million in cap space. 

And that absolutely does not let you keep all your free agents this year. If you're lucky, that gets you one of Jones/King/Linsley.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So next year the Packers will have under contract

Rodgers/Love

Dillon/Taylor/Dexter

Deguara/Sternberger/Lovett

Adams/MVS/EQ/Shepherd/Funchess/Lazard/Taylor

Bakhtiari/Turner/Wagner/Nijman

Jenkins/Patrick/Runyan/Stepanik/Hanson

+++

Clark/Lowry/Keke

Kirksey/Burks/Summers/Martin/Barnes

Zadarius/Preston/Gary/Garvin/Ramsey

Alexander/Jackson/Hollman/Sullivan/Ento

Amos/Savage/Scott

+++

Bradley/Crosby/Scott

+++

Cutting Kirksey. Slotting in Bakhtiari with a 10 million dollar cap hit in year one and bringing back all the EFRAs, leaves us with 190.8 million in commitments. If the league cap is 176, our cap will be 182.8. Obviously we don't know what the league cap will be yet.

If we assume a flat cap, our cap would be 205 million.

That leaves us with:

• I know I'm always the proponent of going super young at RB but I would like Jamaal Williams back. I worry about Dillon and a rookie in pass pro. I'm terrified we're going  to give Jones 4/50.
  • It's a shame Tonyan is going to price out after this year. I just don't think you can give him the contract someone else might.
  • I'm actually good at WR. Adams/MVS/Lazard/Funchess with EQ still holding on as a lottery ticket should be fine.
  • Spend a high pick at Tackle, and Wagner's 4.25 million in cap relief if cut is looking mighty tempting
  • 5 interesting pieces on that interior, maybe 6 if you start a 1st round rookie RT and move Turner back inside. I'm not as sold on Runyan as many here.
  • Tyler Lancaster and Montravious Adams are likely playing for the same contract at DT. Adams brings a little more upside, Lancaster is more consistent down to down. This is one where you probably let the coach choose. Either way you're going to need a draft pick in here.
  • Kirksey's just too expensive to keep around with the young ILBs playing so well.
  • You can't cut Preston. This defense needs 3 OLBs and one needs to be able to drop into coverage. This is assuming that Pettine is still around next year. Every defense needs 3 OLBs, but a different DC might not value Preston as much in that role.
  • I'd like King back, but I think Jackson is doing just enough to not make that contract a must-sign. Either way, need a high round rookie here.
  • Got to think at least one of Greene/Redmond are brought back. They'll be dirt cheap.

+++

If the cap stays flat and we have 205 million to work with, I have to imagine we roll over 6ish. That would get our spend up to 197. 2 million for the draft picks is 199. That leaves 6 million left.

Pick one of:

Aaron Jones

Kevin King

Corey Linsley

OR:

Tonyan and a below piece

OR:

6 million of the below

2 million class:

Jamaal Williams, Marcedes Lewis, Lane Taylor, Montravious Adams, Tyler Lancaster,  Raven Greene

1 milllion class:

Tyler Ervin, Billy Winn, James Burgess, Parry Nickerson, Will Redmond, Tim Boyle

+++

Gun to my head, give me Williams, Lewis, and Adams. 

I probably beg Williams and Adams to let me sign them to 3 year deals with low cap hits year one to bring back Ervin and Greene. 

Have to wonder what the NFL and the NFLPA agree to, because I doubt it's just some sort of straight cap cut down to 175-180. 

NBA has some workable ideas like veteran exceptions that don't count against the cap or allowing teams to go over cap only when signing their own. 

I'd expect some 2-3 year temporary rules to be put in place as we work towards the monster TV deals and full stadiums that are coming.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Terrible article.

Our reward for downgrading from Rodgers to Love next year is . . . 5 million in cap space. 

And that absolutely does not let you keep all your free agents this year. If you're lucky, that gets you one of Jones/King/Linsley.

Don't look at the immediate impact of a 2021 trade - look at the contract it would create for a team looking for a QB and how enticing that may be for that team when it comes to trade compensation. That's the part I found most interesting and plausible. Certainly didn't care for the $5 million in savings for next year lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Don't look at the immediate impact of a 2021 trade - look at the contract it would create for a team looking for a QB and how enticing that may be for that team when it comes to trade compensation. That's the part I found most interesting and plausible. Certainly didn't care for the $5 million in savings for next year lol.

Rodgers is playing at an MVP level, you don't trade a QB playing at that level period. You can talk draft picks, but once Rodgers is on any team, now you're looking at picking 20+ with those picks.

Would I trade Rodgers for 5 first round picks that were all 20+? No I would not. Unless it's a Favre situation where I as a coach/GM were willing to stake my career in Jordan Love being elite. It took Rodgers 3 seasons to get there, I can tell you after TC and preseason of year 1 he surely wasn't there.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Rodgers is playing at an MVP level, you don't trade a QB playing at that level period. You can talk draft picks, but once Rodgers is on any team, now you're looking at picking 20+ with those picks.

Would I trade Rodgers for 5 first round picks that were all 20+? No I would not. Unless it's a Favre situation where I as a coach/GM were willing to stake my career in Jordan Love being elite. It took Rodgers 3 seasons to get there, I can tell you after TC and preseason of year 1 he surely wasn't there.

Don't by any means think that I WANT Aaron Rodgers to be traded. I just like the rest of the fan base will be absolutely heart broken when he takes his last snap with Green Bay. My thing is this:

The Green Bay Packers front office has taken an approach that seems to be building towards the future of this team or rather life after Aaron Rodgers (See 2020 NFL Draft)

If that is INDEED their intentions (to move on from him) WHEN do you make that move and WHEN is it best for your franchise? Do you trade him in the 2021 Offseason when his contract is certainly doable for a team like say Jacksonville with 2 high first round picks AND he's coming off a 2020 MVP caliber type season? It's a fine line to walk and knowing when to pull that trigger  is arguably going to be the toughest business decision of any GM's career. Just last year, we were all saying Aaron isn't playing up to his contract and hasn't been for years. This year? We're seeing a different Aaron Rodgers (Thanks Gute for the Love pick to make that happen). You have to wonder if part of that isn't sitting in the back of their mind or if they've really moved on from that idea and are going with the "What have you done for me lately" mentality. 

I don't know, I personally found the take a bit interesting, not necessarily on cap savings but on the fact that he is indeed having an MVP caliber season and the compensation that could net for a team looking to build towards the future. Not that I want it to happen, it's just something you have to think about because the day is going to come when we do move on from him. It's not a matter of IF but WHEN and that WHEN is everything when making this decision. 

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Yes, but hardly any LTs play as well as Bak does.

I agree, which is why we have been getting a great deal since his rookie year.  Serviceable starter to all pro level at LT for under market contract. Now we’re going to pay him top of the market and I hope his game stays at an equally high level.  At 29 going on 30, I believe he still has great years ahead. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's a shame Tonyan is going to price out after this year. I just don't think you can give him the contract someone else might.

he's restricted tho... 2nd round tag at 3.2m is pretty doable. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You can't cut Preston. This defense needs 3 OLBs and one needs to be able to drop into coverage.

i feel like it's pretty necessary personally. draft an edge in the first two rounds.

imo:

cut preston, wagner, lowry and kirksey. 

give tonyan the 2nd round tag.

re-sign jamaal if it's like 2/3 yr & under 4/5ish m avg

let everyone else walk

use cap on bargain bin released guys or maybe an adam butler type, etc. 

spend 1st & 2nd rounders on edge, cb or a guy that can single high like moehrig to let savage/amos do more stuff near LOS more often 

grab RT of the future in the 3rd if it's there, if not BPA at WR, EDGE, C, CB, RB. 

and obviously fire pettine 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Terrible article.

Yeah, for everyone making all of these cuts, the easiest way for us regular fans to see if it’s possible is to look at dead money. 

It’s easy to eat a little money with a Kirksey or Wagner contract but if you look at Preston’s deal, never mind Rodgers, you’d be paying a ton of money to a talented guy to not play for your team. So you’d be out of money with a large roster hole to fill. This would only be worth it if a guy was terrible for the locker room or you were very confident in a young player you have to get on the field. 

I know I’m preaching to the choir for most but some of these cuts being suggested don’t seem to take this into account