The Vikings (Not So) Special Teams Thread

SteelKing728

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t think there needs to be any changes. It’s been a couple of tough weeks, but it hasn’t been a season long issue. Plus, considering how many young guys and guys in new spots there are, just let them work through the growing pains. 

I'm not sure I can agree.  When you're 30th in the NFL in ST and dead last in both starting yard-line on offense and defense, that's more than just a couple of tough weeks.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

5th round pick for Patterson.... who says no?

personally I’d take Patterson over Bisi Johnson on this roster, but typically people here hate having special teams players only on our roster

Why would it have to be over Bisi? Pretty easy to just swap him with either Sharpe or Osborn on the roster. 

I would certainly bring him back next year as a UFA. Could be the new Marcus Sherels with some gadget ability on offense as well as a core special teamer. For as good as Patterson is as a returner, he’s a great gunner too. 

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 6

At some point a different voice needs to be brought in, or different eyes evaluating these players. When similar issues inflict multiple players who are put in a position, you’ve got to start looking at common factors. Now, I’m not saying that Maloof is teaching them some crazy punt fielding technique that’s leading to issues, but his job is to evaluate these players and put the best group out there that he can.

Fresh eyes going in to next year would be ideal, IMO

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RpMc said:

At some point a different voice needs to be brought in, or different eyes evaluating these players. When similar issues inflict multiple players who are put in a position, you’ve got to start looking at common factors. Now, I’m not saying that Maloof is teaching them some crazy punt fielding technique that’s leading to issues, but his job is to evaluate these players and put the best group out there that he can.

Fresh eyes going in to next year would be ideal, IMO

I'm not saying you're wrong but this is only his 2nd season with the Vikings. Some of these "issues" are also players just not making plays when having a chance to do so.

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm not saying you're wrong but this is only his 2nd season with the Vikings. Some of these "issues" are also players just not making plays when having a chance to do so.

While I would have expected more improvement as the season had gone along rather than what happened, Maloof did say that the lack of actual practice time in the offseason would make it difficult, because it's so difficult to practice special teams on a virtual basis...and they had even less time together than normal because of that.  No coach really was put in a more difficult position than normal than Maloof.  It doesn't excuse him completely, but that does have to be taken into account in evaluating his performance.  I think the major problem has been mostly the punt returner position...I view the Cordarrelle thing as an isolated incident and really not a factor, but the punt return thing has been a continual issue and hasn't gotten better.

21 minutes ago, swede700 said:

While I would have expected more improvement as the season had gone along rather than what happened, Maloof did say that the lack of actual practice time in the offseason would make it difficult, because it's so difficult to practice special teams on a virtual basis...and they had even less time together than normal because of that.  No coach really was put in a more difficult position than normal than Maloof.  It doesn't excuse him completely, but that does have to be taken into account in evaluating his performance.  I think the major problem has been mostly the punt returner position...I view the Cordarrelle thing as an isolated incident and really not a factor, but the punt return thing has been a continual issue and hasn't gotten better.

This is a great point I hadn't considered regarding practice. 

I'm more than OK with keeping him around another year, I would agree that the PR seems to be the biggest issue. We have something like 13 punt return yards on the season? 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Not to mention a lot of the special teams players need all of the practice that they can get on defense