2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

21 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

matt lefleur too. i could see brady being successful as those 2 hc's.

Joe Brady would be a ton of fun in Houston with his scheme and what Houston has. Watson would have so much fun playing in the offense there. I just wonder who he'd use for DC.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I posted this on the Broncos forum, but in case Daboll's Patriot record is somehow held against him, for the record, I think the CW that BB disciples are destined to fail, doesn't hold with Daboll, and I think Flores' success (and Judge's year 1) provides a recipe to better analyze BB assistant coaches separately from BB.   This was in the context of why a Daboll hire in LAC would mean for DEN.

Daboll has 4 things that make him different from the usual BB disciple failed coaching tree guys:

1.  He's actually been an OC with success away from TB12's shadow.   What he's done in BUF the last 2 years is remarkable.   And it's not just relying on 1 gimmick - he adjusts the O to exploit different matchups.   Witness Isiaih McKenzie's 3 TD's last week.  Other weeks it's Allen running in the RZ....other weeks it's the WR screen, or TE eligible flat passes.   He's the rare OC who doesn't just try the same old, same old - but looks at what the opposition D gives him on film, and tailors his team's strengths to exploit it.   

2.  Unlike Patricia, Crennel, and O'Brien - he's also spent significant time away from BB before joining the HC road.   That IMO is a huge difference.   He's spent time with Nick Saban in Alabama, and now 3 years with Sean McDermott (and thus also with GM Brandon Beane for 3 years now).   It isn't just the Patriot Way.   This IMO is a huge benefit. 

3.  Not being a DC in NE, he's far more likely to have been less of a "name-only" coordinator.    BB has been the D mastermind there.    To a lesser extent, TB12 is the O mind, but that's also why Daboll's time in BUF allows that concern to fade (as opposed to Josh McDaniels - whose time away from TB12 this year, let's just say it's raised Q's on just how much was the pairing of TB12, and how much was TB12's talent).    I think this is a huge factor in Joe Judge's favor - he was a ST / WR coach there, so pretty much no direct influence from BB.

4.  Finally, Daboll's personality isn't at authoritarian, by all accounts in BUF.   That alone sets him apart from BB's style - unlike O'Brien & Patricia, who adopted this style - without the track record to make this palatable.  You can be the BB demi-god because you're the GOAT HC - rookie HC's with no credibility already in place, not so much.

The reason why I'm interested in BB disciples - Brian Flores (rightfully getting COTY favorite talk) & Joe Judge (jury's out) are changing the perception of being a BB disciple.   Judge hasn't done enough yet to call it a success, but much like Flores year 1, he's making progress with a bad team (and frankly, a limited O).   Flores' work in MIA has been spectacular.   So I've been looking at what might make them different...hence the thoughts above.

Daboll is the most different HC candidate than the usual BB disciple, and he's got the longest track record away from BB as an OC....that alone has me very intrigued with him, and willing to view him differently.   His work with Josh Allen, and his OC adaptability the past 2 years is just so damn impressive.    Now, we've seen great co-ordinators fail miserably as HC's (cough Fangio DC to HC, and Wade Phillips too cough) - so there's no guarantee.    But I'd be all over Daboll as a great HC candidate for what LAC needs (I also think Eric Bienemy fits their needs there too a ton).   

Either way, going from Anthony Lynn to a bright O mind...it's bad news for us.   Jason Garrett would be a blessing for us, but that's unlikely.    If it's Daboll or Bienemy, or Arthur Smith - pairing them with Herbert, man, I don't see that as good for DEN at all.    Getting rid of Lynn and his league-worst game management is a huge W for LAC - getting a bright O mind to pair with Herbert could really set them up for sustained contention, with their D already talented (but injured a lot).  

got talent kiss GIF by Mediaset España

21 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Joe Brady would be a ton of fun in Houston with his scheme and what Houston has. Watson would have so much fun playing in the offense there. I just wonder who he'd use for DC.

Default in this city would be Son of Bum...

19 minutes ago, scar988 said:

probably someone from the panthers staff like Al Holcomb.

https://www.panthers.com/team/coaches-roster/al-holcomb

Frank Okam would be an intriguing name as DL coach.  Former Texans player.

https://www.panthers.com/team/coaches-roster/frank-okam

1 minute ago, Jaguarfan said:

anyone have predictions on when the first hire is announced/who it will be? 

I'm putting the Jags/Urban Meyer up as the prohibitive favorite.

Only one that might overtake it is Robert Selah to Detroit.

Would Atlanta stripping Raheem Morris of the interim title count?

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm putting the Jags/Urban Meyer up as the prohibitive favorite.

Only one that might overtake it is Robert Selah to Detroit.

Would Atlanta stripping Raheem Morris of the interim title count?

I have a baseless hunch that, because of how poorly kept a secret the Meyer stuff has been, we'll wait until someone else announces before making our hire official. Khan will try to avoid the narrative that we were just interviewing other candidates to satisfy the Rooney rule/make it look like a more competitive spot than it actually is.

17 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

anyone have predictions on when the first hire is announced/who it will be? 

If I had to guess, it'll be someone in the AFC South. Probably JAX going out and getting their guy. Looking like Atlanta is gonna have the first GM hire, thoguh.