The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

3 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Pistons have to give him a qualifying offer first of 16 million or so. If we don't give him a qualifier he becomes a UFA. If Pistons offer the qualifier Bagley is a RFA till he signs the Pistons 1 year offer, he has the ability to try and sign somewhere else as a RFA with Pistons having the right to match.

I'm with SLIM. Not a bad move, in the grand-scheme, prolly means nothing much but wasn't a bad move. Trying to find players in rough dirt is all. He looks good off the bench here though thats not really a 16 million dollar player.

Pistons have BIG time cap this year. There are teams with good players in rough situations, especially in-terms of resigning. Not saying ownership/Pistons will go spend but I am keeping my eyes on a few really good young fellas. 

DeAndre Ayton, C.

Anfernee Simmons, SG.

An then idk, in the NBA someone will get upset and want a trade. IDK if Pistons would be a spot to land for anyone but They've got the resources. 

*EDIT IT's a 14.7 million dollar qualifying offer, not 16 million.

Bagley is not going to meet the qulaifiers for a $14.7M QO, it's going to be half of that. It was a slam dunk. 

3 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/detroit-pistons/cap/2022/

Possibly 50 million in cap space! With a top 5 pick lock basically and in the running for 1st OA!

Could be a cool year for the off-season. I've actually gone to two Pistons games this year! One game was for a grand total of 23$ including parking and ticket fee's! (Beverages/Food not included.) Which... they serve wood-ford reserve at LCA for anyone that likes to partake. 😄

Cade Cunningham looks like a player you can build around. Need about two more players like him or better though honestly. Also Saben Lee. He's great off the bench and needs to be up full time! He's a head-scratches to me. Maybe he'll be up full time next year and get a good rhythm with the team.

I’d love to see them move Olynik and Grant and have enough for to max deals.  Then sign Miles Bridges and Zach Laviine while adding Holmgren, Jabari or Paulo in the draft.  Austin is another potential signing that would be nice.  We have the chance to build around Cade and hope we do it right and not waste money on guys like Ben Gordon and Charlie V. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I’d love to see them move Olynik and Grant and have enough for to max deals.  Then sign Miles Bridges and Zach Laviine while adding Holmgren, Jabari or Paulo in the draft.  Austin is another potential signing that would be nice.  We have the chance to build around Cade and hope we do it right and not waste money on guys like Ben Gordon and Charlie V. 

Why do they have to move Grant or Olynik? They have 50 million in one year to spend if they felt like it.

*Edit. I really don't like Jerami Grant. I think he's a selfish dude. Giving the Pistons a "list" was petty as heck when you aren't even a top 20 player. Also more telling was good teams that could of actually used him didn't wanna give up anything for him. Pistons will have to settle for a lot less than what they think he's worth or get nothing or worst... the worst... they extend him. ( I think. )

I'm a little like you though. Picking favorites in the signing department. I rather they spend no money if it means they'll sign a good player next offseason or whatever. 

NO BEN G's or CHARLIE V's!

Edited by SimbaWho

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

Why do they have to move Grant or Olynik? They have 50 million in one year to spend if they felt like it.

*Edit. I really don't like Jerami Grant. I think he's a selfish dude. Giving the Pistons a "list" was petty as heck when you aren't even a top 20 player. Also more telling was good teams that could of actually used him didn't wanna give up anything for him. Pistons will have to settle for a lot less than what they think he's worth or get nothing or worst... the worst... they extend him. ( I think. )

I'm a little like you though. Picking favorites in the signing department. I rather they spend no money if it means they'll sign a good player next offseason or whatever. 

NO BEN G's or CHARLIE V's!

They need to move them for cap space. We don’t have enough money to sign two max deals without moving them.  

2 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

I'm not being rude, just, Can you explain to me what this means? 

His $14.8M QO is dependent on him starting 41 games or playing 2,000 minutes this season. If he doesn't meet either of those, his qualifying offer gets reduced down to $7.3M. Pistons have 14 games remaining this season. Bagley is sitting at 20 starts and under 1,000 minutes played. There is no way he can hit those qualifiers. 

• Like 1

How much space do the Pistons need to go sign two max players in UFA? I'm not saying you're wrong or right either. I'm actually trying to just wrap my mind around the situation you are presenting to me here.

Like idk if I wanna spend 30 million plus on two players a piece.

5 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

How much space do the Pistons need to go sign two max players in UFA? I'm not saying you're wrong or right either. I'm actually trying to just wrap my mind around the situation you are presenting to me here.

Like idk if I wanna spend 30 million plus on two players a piece.

The Pistons are sitting with approx 25-30Mil in cap space.  Grant and Olynik make 21M and 13M respectively.  Moving those two would allow us to sign the max deals for Bridges (approx 26M) and Lavigne (approx 32M).  Given guys like Grant are given 20Mil in free agency, it’s worth spending a little extra and getting the better players.  Those would be four year contracts and by the time they run out, we would have room to sign Cade long term.  

Other free agents likely to get max deals or close to would be Ayton or Collin Sexton.  But they along with Bridges are RFA’s so would likely get matched by their teams if they have room.  Phoenix might let Ayton walk as they have a few bug contracts already. Charlotte would likely need to move Gordon Heyward to resign Bridges.  

It’s hard to attract big name free agents away from their current teams given the contract perks you get for signing with your current team.  I think having a core like Cade and Chet Holmgren though would be attractive to some stars.  

Hmm... yeah idk. If they just renounce some player rights they've got quite a bit more cap than what you're talking about.

* Surprised you actually like Zach Lavine. I think he's a good player but he's traditionally the dude people don't like to pay...( Older, High flier coming off injury, original team not willing to pay, down year. )

Edited by SimbaWho

51 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Hmm... yeah idk. If they just renounce some player rights they've got quite a bit more cap than what you're talking about.

* Surprised you actually like Zach Lavine. I think he's a good player but he's traditionally the dude people don't like to pay...( Older, High flier coming off injury, original team not willing to pay, down year. )

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/detroit-pistons/cap/2022/

Per Sportrac, if we decline all options, then we would be at $50M which isn't enough to sign two max guys.  We will likely have another top 3 pick which will eat up about 10M of that as well.  So if we decline all options and get Cory Joseph to decline his then we would still need to move at least Olynyk to have the cap space.  But getting something back for Grant would be ideal given he isn't in the long term plans IMO and will want a big contract after next year which IMO he isn't worth.  His 20M contract is perfect for a contender needing an additional piece and getting a pick for him would be helpful opposed to just losing him.  

As for Lavine, he just turned 27 a few days ago so he isn't old.  He isn't coming off an injury, but has missed a few games this year. His "down year" is averaging 3 PPG less than last year but he has more help around him (and its his third highest PPG in a season of his career) while shooting the second best percentage of his career. He also is averaging his second highest rebound per game and assist per game averages of his career.  I think he is having a great year and showing why he is worth a max deal tbh.  And having a true 25 PPG scorer next to Cade will unlock Cade's value.  He is the top free agent available this year and a top 20 player in the NBA. He likely won't leave Chicago but would be a welcome addition to the team if he decided to leave and we are one of a few teams that have or can have the cap space to sign him and another star.   A lineup of Hayes/hopefully a better PG, Cade, Lavine, Bridges, and Holmgren, or Hayes, Cade, Lavine, Jabari Smith/Paolo Banchero, and Deandre Ayton would be a top 5 team in the East with growth potential to be better than that as these other teams age out. 

• Like 1

Pick (Overall - TVC Value) - Date and Time of Selection

Pick 1.7 (#7) - Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
Pick 2.9 (#41) - Asante Samuel Jr., CB, Florida State
Pick 2.11 (#43) - Carlos "Boogie" Basham Jr., DE, Wake Forest
Pick 3.38 (#101) - D'Wayne Eskridge, WR, Western Michigan
Pick 4.7 (#113) - Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M
Pick 5.32 (#177) - Talanoa Hufanga, S, USC
Pick 6.33 (#217) - Darius Stills, DT, West Virginia (NFL_Fan's sleeper pick)
Pick 7.8 (#236 - 1.8) - Marlon Williams, WR, Central Florida (Louis Friend's sleeper pick)

Green = draft selection / Blue = trade acquisition / Orange = UDFA signing

Offense:

QB: Jared Goff, Tim Boyle, Kellen Mond
RB: D'Andre Swift, Jamaal Williams, Kerryon Johnson, Nate McCrary
WR: Michael Gallup, Tyrell Williams, D'Wayne Eskridge, Breshad Perriman, Damion Ratley, Quintez Cephus, Kalif Raymond, Marlon Williams, Jonathan Adams Jr
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Josh Hill, Hunter Bryant
LT: Taylor Decker, Matt Nelson
LG: Jonah Jackson, Logan Stenberg
C Frank Ragnow, Evan Brown
RG: Halapoulivaati VaitaiLarry Borom
RT: Penei SewellFoster Sarell

Defense:

DE: Trey Flowers, Romeo Okwara, Carlos "Boogie" Basham, Charles Harris, Julian Okwara, Austin Bryant, Darius Hodge
DT: Michael Brockers, Derrick Nnadi, Nick Williams, Da'Shawn Hand, John Penisini, Darius Stills
OLB: Jamie Collins, Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Shaun Dion Hamilton 
MLB: Alex Anzalone, Jahlani Tavai
CB: Amani Oruwariye, Quinton Dunbar, Asante Samuel Jr., Corn Elder, Mike Ford, Shemar Jean-Charles, Bryce Thompson
S: Tracy Walker, Dean Marlowe, Talanoa Hufanga, Will Harris, Darrick Forrest

Special Teams:

K: Randy Bullock
P: Jack Fox
LS: Don "Motherfreakin'" Muhlbach

You guys better step things up or I'm gonna have to sign up for one of these things again like I did 10 years ago or so!

No disrespect but I had great group of "old-timers" then with Diehard/Slim/Fuller/Xfactor/Bucky/Cr3p/FTW/TL/Stylish, it's prolly why I still post now; indirectly through conversation/time/and realizations I learned a lot about watching prospects and just football from these guys. Funny thing is while our drafts often killed it, we definitely didn't all like each-other. Some got banished!

Some of yah'll are gonna be even tougher to work with! ;) Honestly I doubt they do this though, this year. FA already started... Maybe they'll have draft only? IDK? When I went to check things out I seen no rumblings at all!!!!

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1